1907 carbine sold

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
steelbuttplate

1907 carbine sold

Post by steelbuttplate »

This one I was considering. It's in a M44 stock, but hey. One bid, the bidder hit the buy it now for $499.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
qz2026

Re: 1907 carbine sold

Post by qz2026 »

:shock:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am perfectly happy letting somebody else buy that, I save real money for US milsurps. Much as I like Mosins, it's the history of my own country and it's relics that are most important to me. A few hundred bucks is my Mosin limit, and even then I never spent that on any Mosin other than the Hungarian sniper.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:03 am I am perfectly happy letting somebody else buy that, I save real money for US milsurps. Much as I like Mosins, it's the history of my own country and it's relics that are most important to me. A few hundred bucks is my Mosin limit, and even then I never spent that on any Mosin other than the Hungarian sniper.
Agree. If it were in the original stock, There would have been two bids :shifty: . It started at $399. I might spend $500 on a M 27/28 some day, but the M-39's are such awesome rifles I wonder if I would be disappointed.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

steelbuttplate wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:03 am I am perfectly happy letting somebody else buy that, I save real money for US milsurps. Much as I like Mosins, it's the history of my own country and it's relics that are most important to me. A few hundred bucks is my Mosin limit, and even then I never spent that on any Mosin other than the Hungarian sniper.
Agree. If it were in the original stock, There would have been two bids :shifty: . It started at $399. I might spend $500 on a M 27/28 some day, but the M-39's are such awesome rifles I wonder if I would be disappointed.
Agree as well. I love my Finns and especially M39s and enjoy shooting them, but when prices start getting to $500-700 plus for a M39, I can apply those dollars to nicer/cooler/better items. Not trying to start an argument as I love them, but I love other stuff, especially US stuff, too. No problem with the market doing its thing in Finn prices, I just likely won’t be buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It is a very tough sell trying to get me to pay $350-$550 for the M39 when I bought a dozen or more for under $150 each, many of them less back in the day. Your not going to get me to pay $500+ for the M27-M28- M2830 either, not when I have clear memory's of getting change back from a Benny on them back in the late 80's or early 90's. For that matter I am not buying any $1000 Garands either, most expensive one I own cost two Benjamin's, and a nice picture of President Grant. If I didn't own 8 of them then maybe.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TnBuckeye

Post by TnBuckeye »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:It is a very tough sell trying to get me to pay $350-$550 for the M39 when I bought a dozen or more for under $150 each, many of them less back in the day. Your not going to get me to pay $500+ for the M27-M28- M2830 either, not when I have clear memory's of getting change back from a Benny on them back in the late 80's or early 90's. For that matter I am not buying any $1000 Garands either, most expensive one I own cost two Benjamin's, and a nice picture of President Grant. If I didn't own 8 of them then maybe.

I am with you on Garands too. I really like them. But for me to pay a grand or more for one, it better be something I can’t drive my lazy a$$ across the state line and pick up at CMP South. Deals are out there on them. Grabbed a nice H&R a few weeks back locally for much less than $1000...you just have to keep your eyes open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Yes the deals are out there but these days the deals require a bit more money than most of us are willing to pay. At least most of the people who post on here or other forums. The people who spend most of the money rarely look at or much less post on here or other forums. They don't know how cheap me or JYD is or care why we feel that way. They are mostly Johnny come lately's with lots of money to spend and little knowledge of the Milsurp weapon field looking for a quick buy and turnover. It is what it is these days and you just have to decide whether you are going to spend the cash or buy the trash and hope for improving quality later down the line. I waited 8 years or more to find an SA marked M38 with even a non-matched bolt and paid a good price for it. Now soon it is going to another collector who feels the same way I did about it and I am moving on to another one I feel is better. That is the way I collect and many others do too.

The amount of 1907 carbines out there is often filled with rifles in stocks from other model rifles. That is why I had a certain number 1907 stocks duplicated off my stock a number of years back to help some of these fellows out. I sold them to certain people I contacted who I knew needed stocks and sold them at my cost to them. This is what collectors do when they can. These folks then at least had the right stock for their examples. I doubt these stocks would ever be passed off as real because the people that got them are known for their principles and honesty. They represented an improvement in what these people had and a moving on point for them. US collector models are the most expensive field other than German rifles one can find these days. They are also the most humped field (again other the German rifles and pistols) you can find these days in my opinion. I see more totally questionable stuff at shows and online there then any place else I look. I have bought 3 US models in the last 10 years and those were for decent prices from dealers before shows or friends around the area. With JYD and other people who I know have sizeable collections how many times have you seen posts about what they have bought lately? Other than a Trials Rifle and an SA marked M38 what have you seen me bragging about buying as of late? For me the buys are just not out there and if you are buying a quality piece you have to pay the price the market demands.

I frankly doubt you want to hear how cheap I am and the length's I go to save a buck or two at times. I will however spend money for a starter piece in a rare field or a nice piece if it appeals to me and improves the current one I own. Many collectors on here are standing pat these days on what they have and buy little and scoff often at the prices others pay for things. Now keep in mind they aren't buying a darn thing yet they feel enabled to criticize others while doing that! Ok just keep in mind someday you are gonna have to sell or buy something and you are then gonna be a fat old target. I would wager to say we will never hear about it though. Haha such is human nature Huh? So I am still out there trading, buying, and yes selling from time to time but to a lesser degree than years ago. I like most others think I know it all but still walk away at times with egg on my face but such is life I guess! Have a Great Day Folks! Bill :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cheap? Oh yea, chunk light is good enough, nothing wrong with generic aspirins, high miles, and some years don't mean a car isn't still perfectly good for transportation, suits only go out of style when the cleaners shrink them to the point I can't fit in them anymore. I don't like paying out piles of cash just so I can own a piece of history, on the other hand firearms that I use to protect my ass do not have a price cap. If I think something is a better tool for making me safer then I don't care if I have to spend five hundred or ten grand. History that is as common as the Mosins shouldn't cost me $300+ to own, not when I was perfectly happy paying $45 for same. I can understand higher cost for things that only exist in very limited numbers, but I am happy to let others spend for these things and I look at the pictures. Pictures of a 1907 carbine are perfectly good, I already own an M38, and M91/59 so I know how the 1907 shoots, feels, comes apart, and whatever. Why pay to experience what I already know so well? My interest in Russian history focuses on the two world wars period and the Cold War because this is the part of Russian history that is intertwined with American history. I know interesting things happened in Russian prior to 1914, but I just don't give a fuck about it that much, and the 1907 carbine was just a sideshow during the Great War that was ruled by the M1891. M1891's are much more fascinating to me because they participated in so much conflict during both wars in multiple countries. The overwhelming majority of photos, newsreel footage, even paintings of Russia's Great War and revolution, even the Winter War of 1939-40 depict the M1891 rifle. Holding the M1891 rifle I can pull up thousands of pictures from these conflicts, flip open my books and hundreds more pictures of that rifle. If I didn't have many of them already then I would pay todays price to own the M1891 rifle, one anyway, the carbine? Na, not enough cool shit depicted going on with it to spark my imagination, and make me drop several grand to own one. $200? Maybe.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I hear something so cheap I hear squeaking! Bill :chuckles:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

zeebill wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:44 pm I hear something so cheap I hear squeaking! Bill :chuckles:
You have a pet mouse in your pocket?
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Come on Jim! Oil the hinges of your wallet a bit! :D Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

zeebill wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:46 pm Come on Jim! Oil the hinges of your wallet a bit! :D Bill
I don't use a wallet, roll with lots of rubber bands to make pickpockets work for it.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:55 am
zeebill wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:46 pm Come on Jim! Oil the hinges of your wallet a bit! :D Bill
I don't use a wallet, roll with lots of rubber bands to make pickpockets work for it.
I luv these new pants from LA police gear. Duty cargo pants, beaucoup pockets + magazine pocket. light ripstop. The back pockets have velcro flaps that rrrrrriiippp when you open one, pickpocket gets fist instead of wallet.. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Folding money is carried in shirt pocket, someone goes for that and they better like the taste of gunmetal, or if I get really pissed I use the blade and cut on them a bit.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

I agree Mosins are not $500 rifles. $500 has been my cap but only for a M24 SIG or M28 Ski Trooper. Maybe a really nice M/28-30 otherwise $350 is it.

Most bolt action Milsurps I wont spend more than $500 on. Semis $1,000. Only have broken my limits a handful of times for each.

Now if so many of us won't spend that kind of money, and most youngsters can't spend that kind of money, what are the chances the prices will continue to increase?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

capt14k wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:31 am I agree Mosins are not $500 rifles. $500 has been my cap but only for a M24 SIG or M28 Ski Trooper. Maybe a really nice M/28-30 otherwise $350 is it.

Most bolt action Milsurps I wont spend more than $500 on. Semis $1,000. Only have broken my limits a handful of times for each.

Now if so many of us won't spend that kind of money, and most youngsters can't spend that kind of money, what are the chances the prices will continue to increase?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Very good, because as we have seen on GB and elsewhere, people are paying that money. They have been paying it right along, that's why the prices are were they are now. If the sellers weren't getting these prices you would have seen a decline by now given that prices have been up for years. We often forget when talking about todays high milsurp prices to adjust for the inflation over the last 30+ years since the Mosin hoard started to roll in , first from Finland, and then Romania, and Finland. Not to mention the 60+ years since the Spanish hoard came in. This is an era that even a cup of coffee can cost $2-$5 or more, a new basic model truck can go forty grand, younger people are used to paying high prices, so why not for milsurps also? Inflation doesn't account for all of the higher prices, market demand drive them more than anything else, but it does have an impact. Two hundred spent in 1992, is three hundred sixty five today. ( according to US inflation calculator)
Theodore Roosevelt
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I don't like bubba'd guns, but I'd be really tempted to get a M1907 action at that price. Looked like the rear sight was complete. I think complete or almost complete (i.e. missing top hand guard or rear sight slider) rifles sell for a few thousand dollars. Still hoping to find one at a local auction though
Mosin Fanboy
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The millinials have hit the buyers market, the ones with a computer in one hand. They are buying collectable Mosins and paying ridiculous $ for jazzed up archangels. There is a slump right now but as Fall nears the prices and selling will creep up . Never down. :wink: E-store pricing on them has gone berserk, In ten yrs people will be saying I remember when these were $299. We're not talking about what we would pay for one, but what some 24 yr. old with a trust fund will pay.
Last edited by steelbuttplate on Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:54 am The millinials have hit the buyers market, the ones with a computer in one hand. They are buying collectable Mosins and paying ridiculous $ for jazzed up archangels. There is a slump right now but as Fall nears the prices and selling will creep up . Never down. :wink: E-store pricing on them has gone berserk, In ten yrs people will be saying I remember when these were $299.
Must be the millennials living a bit farther out in flyover country than here. The ones I see here with handheld device in hand and eyes glued to it wouldn't know a Mosin if I walked up to them and beat them to death with it. Don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind, but maybe a pipe would be better, wouldn't want to chip the shellac off the stock.
Theodore Roosevelt