Range Results Izhevsk M91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tjtM38

Range Results Izhevsk M91/30

Post by tjtM38 »

My 1937 Izhevsk M91/30 was shooting well today on the small silhouette at 100 yards. Had a bit of vertical stringing toward the end (very warm barrel), and had a couple of flyers out of 20 rounds at 3 and 9 o'clock, which was probably a flinch or two on my part. After 40 rounds of the LVE ball ammo, I was pretty well spent. Before I shot the Mosin Nagant, I put 35 rounds of Greek .303 through a No. 1 Mk*III 1918 Enfield, so the shoulder is feeling all of it about now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Range Results Izhevsk M91/30

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Took me two years to find that year from that arsenal, I found shit like 1939 & 45 M38's before I found '37 Izhevsk. Looks like you killed that son of a bitch with all but two rounds, sounds good to me, so what's the problem?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:38 pm Took me two years to find that year from that arsenal, I found shit like 1939 & 45 M38's before I found '37 Izhevsk. Looks like you killed that son of a bitch with all but two rounds, sounds good to me, so what's the problem?
No problem at all. Every time I shoot these rifles, I have a good time no matter what the result. This one is not my best, but it's close to it. Not a target gun, but definitely hitting center of mass at 100 yards. It was actually doing a bit better than the 1918 Enfield which was shooting a bit low today for some reason. Wish I had a 500 or 600 yard range to try, but my old eyes probably wouldn't be up to the task now.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

tjtM38 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:22 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:38 pm Took me two years to find that year from that arsenal, I found shit like 1939 & 45 M38's before I found '37 Izhevsk. Looks like you killed that son of a bitch with all but two rounds, sounds good to me, so what's the problem?
No problem at all. Every time I shoot these rifles, I have a good time no matter what the result. This one is not my best, but it's close to it. Not a target gun, but definitely hitting center of mass at 100 yards. It was actually doing a bit better than the 1918 Enfield which was shooting a bit low today for some reason. Wish I had a 500 or 600 yard range to try, but my old eyes probably wouldn't be up to the task now.
The Mosin was never designed to be a target rifle. The Germans built a hunting rifle, the Americans built a target rifle, the British built a battle rifle. No mention in that old saying as to what the Russians built, they built a rifle that works. It's not refined, it's not state of the art even in it's own time, what it does best is work. In mud, in snow, covered in blood and brain bits, it will still work, the same can't be said for some of the other rifles mentioned. The performance you are getting is likely better than most Soviet conscripts would have achieved with it. The only way I am hitting anything I intend to hit at 500-600 yards is if I am using the force.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

I have a '43 Izhevsk that will clean an SR1 target at 100 yds. I've shot it a few times at a 600 yd match. Out of a possible 500 points it has consistently placed in the mid-to-high 200's. It's on-par with my 03-A3. The problem lies not with either rifle, but the 64 yo eyes trying to use iron sights designed for 20 yo eyes.
Jon
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That looks you got a good shooter there Tim. :)
Speaking of Greek .303 do you like it as much as I do? I bought nearly 500 rounds of it and save the cases to reload. That is great and accurate ammo in my Jungle Carbine
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

bunkysdad wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:36 pm That looks you got a good shooter there Tim. :)
Speaking of Greek .303 do you like it as much as I do? I bought nearly 500 rounds of it and save the cases to reload. That is great and accurate ammo in my Jungle Carbine
Greek HXP is the boss. The M-2 is great too.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yeah steel, the HXP is the stuff I bought back when Sportsmans Guide had it a couple years ago. A small portion had some tarnish but I cleaned them up and put them in a 50 cal can with a desiccant bag.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

bunkysdad wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:21 pm Yeah steel, the HXP is the stuff I bought back when Sportsmans Guide had it a couple years ago. A small portion had some tarnish but I cleaned them up and put them in a 50 cal can with a desiccant bag.
Hate to admit it, but I bought my HXP from Cheaper Than Dirt about four years ago. It is the best shooting .303 surplus I have ever found. However, I recently bought some MEN (German) .303 ball ammo from SGammo and I am anxious to shoot some of it, because it is 1980's stuff and looks super clean.
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

tjtM38 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:45 pm
bunkysdad wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:21 pm Yeah steel, the HXP is the stuff I bought back when Sportsmans Guide had it a couple years ago. A small portion had some tarnish but I cleaned them up and put them in a 50 cal can with a desiccant bag.
Hate to admit it, but I bought my HXP from Cheaper Than Dirt about four years ago. It is the best shooting .303 surplus I have ever found. However, I recently bought some MEN (German) .303 ball ammo from SGammo and I am anxious to shoot some of it, because it is 1980's stuff and looks super clean.
I actually have that exact same ammo tj it shot great out of my 1917 MkIII*. Next time I take it out I'll post results.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I bought bits and pieces of that Greek ammo over the years at auctions and have seen it do well in my Jungle Carbine too. I don't reload but save the shells for a buddy who does now. One of the best shooting surplus rounds I have found. Watched an original can go well over $400 at auction earlier this year. I got out well before that but admit it was the only can of it complete and unopened I have seen in years. It was from the estate of a fellow who worked at SARCO for many years. Would have liked to have had that but at over a $1 a round I was not that interested! Bill :wink:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

While we are talking about .303, I just got a few boxes of Wolf to shoot in the new SMLE. It came shipped for about ten bucks a box, that is less than a third of what I can buy it for in the few local outlets that will have it in stock. I will let you all know how it works.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1942 Winchester Lend Lease .303 was fun, part I liked best was paying for ammo my grandparents tax's paid for already. Still have a few box's left someplace, some 1930's cordite rounds also.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I gotta tell you, the Wolf .303 stuff worked nicely. I had read some complaints, but the batch I got grouped nicely, and it is hard to beat ten bucks a box.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Lavitias wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:09 am
tjtM38 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:45 pm
I actually have that exact same ammo tj it shot great out of my 1917 MkIII*. Next time I take it out I'll post results.
1916 BSA, shoots Greek HXP damn good. It's called the " bloody punisher". No wonder the Jihade Hadji are still sniping with them.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

Junk Yard Dog wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:22 pm 1942 Winchester Lend Lease .303 was fun, part I liked best was paying for ammo my grandparents tax's paid for already. Still have a few box's left someplace, some 1930's cordite rounds also.
I feel the same when I buy surplus 5.56 from Lake City lol my taxes paid for it once already and now i have to pay for it again. Well if I want it that is. :bonk: