Look what I found

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Look what I found

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

bunkysdad wrote:I've never seen a Venezuelen Mauser, except in pictures I think. 7mm is a cartridge that has eluded me so far but I hear it is a fine round.
They are an older import, pre 1968 so far as I know, I have the FN-49 to go along with it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
7x57

Post by 7x57 »

Well, that one would be a perfect addition to my small selection of South American Mausers... Congrats on a very nice rifle!
1910 Arg. Mauser M1909 (long rifle)
1912 Braz. Mauser M1908 (long rifle)
1915 & 1943 Swed. Mauser M96
1934 Persian Mauser M1309
Two 1935 Braz. Mauser M1935 (short rifle)
1937 Braz. Mauser M1935 (long rifle)
1943 Finnish M39 (Sk.Y.)
1943 Izhevsk M1891/30 w. folding bay.
1943 Swiss K31
1947 Dutch "Wilhelmina" Mauser carbine
~1950 Hung. Lámpagyár Kispuska 48M (.22lr cadet rifle)
Two 1952 Hung. 48M
1955 British No. 4 Mk. 2
1968 Finnish M39
1977 6" Korth .357 Magnum
2012 H&K USP Expert .45 ACP
2016 H&K MR308 A3
2016 STEYR AUG Z
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

7x57 wrote:Well, that one would be a perfect addition to my small selection of South American Mausers... Congrats on a very nice rifle!
Everything has a not for sale price :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: That's the price that would have to be paid to get me to part with something I like, and haven't even played with yet. I am trying to find out if there are anymore like this out there in this condition. Surely some of them must have survived to the 21st century without being fired, or hacked up into " hunting rifles" Possibly 7x57 wasn't all that common in gun shops during the early 60's
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Ron at the shop I work at bought a twin to yours from a good customer that used it for trade goods. We get a lot of guns that come across the counter but yours and Ron's were instant buys. He is not much for pictures but I'll see what I can do.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's two, the contract wasn't that big, there couldn't have been that many unissued rifles left by the time they became surplus.
Theodore Roosevelt
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

My goodness! (Internet politically correct speak for "good #*}#+%* #+^}#%). I though I could hear horseshoes clanging the other day! Very nice indeed! Congratulations! :thumbsup:
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
+dhic

Post by +dhic »

Very nice JYD. That action ought to do all a 7mm is supposed to do. Beautiful. Must have been one helluva a Sock Drawer.
+dhic aka cliff
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

bunkysdad wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:14 pm I've never seen a Venezuelen Mauser, except in pictures I think. 7mm is a cartridge that has eluded me so far but I hear it is a fine round.
It would be hard for me to choose between the 6.5mm Swede and the 7mm. Both are very nice and shoulder forgiving rounds even in carbines :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

32 years ago I bought two Chilean Mausers model 1895, one rifle, one carbine, from Atlanta Discount Ammo. With them I bought 5000 rounds of FN 7mm, I did a lot of shooting with the Mauser's and later the FN49 ( also Venezuelan) . The 7mm is a nice round in these weapons, I only have maybe 500 rounds left, I don't plan on shooting much of it in this Mauser, possibly handload some one day, but I want to preserve the rifle in it's current condition, I can shoot other rifles that already have dings and dents.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

The Venezuelan FN-49 has eluded me. So nice... so expensive...
I ended up reloading for 7mm. My surplus didn't fare that well. I disassembled 500 rounds and reloaded using fresh cases and primers because of poor case quality and bad primers. Was able to salvage about 75% of the powder that hadn't gotten wet though.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I almost passed on that 7mm FN49, happy now that I didn't. Even adjusting for decades of inflation they still sell for well over what I paid.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

It is a FN1930 there is no such thing as a 24/30. I got one a few years ago also with accessories and similar condition. Very nice rifle. I am still searching for the carbine version also in the white which is original and correct, blued is not. The only Venezuelan Mausers that left FN blued were the target rifles. I also have a couple Venezuelan FN-49 rifles one low number and one high number both look to be unisssued which is rare for a low number. My other low number was well used. I do need a matching 1895 Chilean Carbine; it is the only Chilean I need to complete my Chilean Mauser collection.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

capt14k wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:44 pm It is a FN1930 there is no such thing as a 24/30. I got one a few years ago also with accessories and similar condition. Very nice rifle. I am still searching for the carbine version also in the white which is original and correct, blued is not. The only Venezuelan Mausers that left FN blued were the target rifles. I also have a couple Venezuelan FN-49 rifles one low number and one high number both look to be unisssued which is rare for a low number. My other low number was well used. I do need a matching 1895 Chilean Carbine; it is the only Chilean I need to complete my Chilean Mauser collection.

24/30? Don't know anything about that, I called it a 1930. I haven't been finding many in unissued condition, not surprising considering it's a 60's era import.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
capt14k wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:44 pm It is a FN1930 there is no such thing as a 24/30. I got one a few years ago also with accessories and similar condition. Very nice rifle. I am still searching for the carbine version also in the white which is original and correct, blued is not. The only Venezuelan Mausers that left FN blued were the target rifles. I also have a couple Venezuelan FN-49 rifles one low number and one high number both look to be unisssued which is rare for a low number. My other low number was well used. I do need a matching 1895 Chilean Carbine; it is the only Chilean I need to complete my Chilean Mauser collection.

24/30? Don't know anything about that, I called it a 1930. I haven't been finding many in unissued condition, not surprising considering it's a 60's era import.
Someone called it a 24/30 earlier in the thread. Used to be what they were referred to as. New FN Mauser book clarified there was a Model 1924 and Model 1930 but no Model 1924/30 or 24/30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

capt14k wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:05 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote:

Someone called it a 24/30 earlier in the thread. Used to be what they were referred to as. New FN Mauser book clarified there was a Model 1924 and Model 1930 but no Model 1924/30 or 24/30.

I never went out of my way collecting the contract Mauser's, like all the others this one found me.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
capt14k wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:05 pm
Junk Yard Dog wrote:

I never went out of my way collecting the contract Mauser's, like all the others this one found me.
The contract Mausers are my focus these days. Down to the hard to find ones. 1927 Paraguayan arrived last week from Canada. Costa Rican Mauser is at the top of my list now. Also in 7mm like the Venezuelan Mausers.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Mauser had a real money machine in South and Central America back before the war, FN had it after the war for a bit. Then they all found out that simply by saying they love America or the USSR they could get shiploads of arms from either country.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

:thumbsup: :Drool1: :thumbsup:

Nice Mauser! What was the shotgun?
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
+dhic

Post by +dhic »

Jim, that guy had a helluv a big sock drawer for that rifle.
+dhic. aka cliff
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

+dhic wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:40 am Jim, that guy had a helluv a big sock drawer for that rifle.
+dhic. aka cliff
Big wood wardrobe, the son in law still had it, and he was keeping his long arms in it behind the shirts and jackets. He didn't even have the handguns locked up, he did have an excellent security system on the house, and no kids, but still...
Theodore Roosevelt