Destroyer?

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
fintowin

Destroyer?

Post by fintowin »

It’s been a while since I posted here, but I have this carbine that is some variation on the Spanish Destroyer. It has an internal magazine, and a bayonet lug.
Just wondering if anyone has ever seen one of these before re, or has good info on it. I bought it at a local auction a couple years ago, and just kind of put it away, and forgot about it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Destroyer?

Post by millman »

“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

That video jut generally covers the destroyers we normally see on the market. My question is concerning the variation I have pictured above. It does not have the removable external magazine. I have never seen this on a Destroyer before. When I first got it, I did quite a lot of searching, and found no other examples of it.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

https://forums.gunboards.com/showthread ... er-Carbine
Go look at this thread on gunboards. Post 18 has a pic of your rifle. The poster was online when I was there.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

The rifle in that post is different. It has no bayonet lug, and has a tube of sorts under the barrel that resembles (but is not) a tube magazine. Mine has an internal magazine and a bayonet lug.
-George Washington
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

fintowin wrote:The rifle in that post is different. It has no bayonet lug, and has a tube of sorts under the barrel that resembles (but is not) a tube magazine. Mine has an internal magazine and a bayonet lug.
I would send a pic of yours to that guy over there. He is apparently from Spain, and seemed to know a bit about these.

C. S. Lewis
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

5E817508-F502-476C-8353-C981A448061E.jpeg
520040C5-A891-4050-8B74-EFCBE9C530CC.jpeg
Couple more pics

Thanks for the heads up on that post, Millman. I will see if I can get his thoughts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-George Washington
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Found out it’s not a Destroyer, but a Montserrat Carbine. It was commissioned for fabrication by a large gun shop in Barcelona, owned by Genaro Castells.
Castells was one of the bosses of "Somaten" units, that were paramilitary organizations that operated before and during Spanish Civil War. That is the justification for the bayonet lug. It was a carbine intended for these organizations.
-George Washington
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

fintowin wrote:Found out it’s not a Destroyer, but a Montserrat Carbine. It was commissioned for fabrication by a large gun shop in Barcelona, owned by Genaro Castells.
Castells was one of the bosses of "Somaten" units, that were paramilitary organizations that operated before and during Spanish Civil War. That is the justification for the bayonet lug. It was a carbine intended for these organizations.
Cool. Good info.

C. S. Lewis
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Yes, good indeed. Info from a Spanish collector at Gunboards.
-George Washington