Black Sailors in WWI

What other "hobbies" and "Collections" do you have. Post them here!
NEW Forum!
Come on!, we know you have some!
Brucifer

Black Sailors in WWI

Post by Brucifer »

Friend of mine is trying to do some research into black American military units (with a focus on sailors) during WWI. She is looking for first person accounts if possible. Any ideas as to books or registries that would have some information?

Thanks.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Black Sailors in WWI

Post by millman »

I have such a story. Related to me by my ex FIL in regards to his father's experience in WW2. I won't be telling it, as it would not pass muster in our modern times.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Nevermind. I see you are asking about ww1. I don't think there were many/any blacks in the Navy then.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

There is a pretty well known story of a black cook, who, during the attack on Pearl Harbor, took over a machine gun on a ship, after all of the regular crew had been killed. I do not recall the sailors name, but it should not be hard to research. I am sure there are other stories, but I personally can not recall any at this time. I applaud your friend's efforts and would love to see the finished product.

The sad facts are that, in the Navy, blacks were usually put in to service jobs, such as cooks or laundry operators, stewards, and laborers. White people, at the time, did not want to work, sleep or eat or socialize with blacks. It was institutional racism that was accepted as the natural order of the world. At the time, most whites believed that blacks were considered to be mentally defective, cowardly, untrustworthy, and lazy. (history, not my opinion) I just read an anecdote about some black sailors who were about to ship out to the Pacific, that were terrorized by their officers by being told, that if it came time to abandon ship, a black sailor would be thrown overboard to see if there were sharks in the area. I am sure the white sailors thought that was a great joke, but the blacks could fully imagine that that could happen.

There was not much chance for black sailors to shine, and if they showed great courage, or competence, it would not have been frequently recorded. When I was in the Navy, in the early 1970s, Filipino sailors (and there were a lot of them) in the USN had taken over those types of jobs and were also treated as inferiors.

The Tuskegee Airmen put a lot of those notions to bed with the aircrews they supported, but it would still be decades before they would be treated with some dignity in most of the services. During the battle of the bulge, when we lost so many soldiers, the Army began to request the voluntary transfer blacks from stevedores and truck drivers to combat jobs, most frequently under white officers and senior noncoms. There were a lot of black volunteers who accepted the combat jobs, but you hear the most about those who were NOT willing to volunteer. I do not know of a time, during WWII, when the Navy felt that it was in desperate enough personnel shape to have to work with blacks in technical or combat jobs in combat areas.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Brucifer

Post by Brucifer »

There is information about black soldiers in WWI, but most of it concentrates on the 369th Infantry Regiment (Harlem Hellfighters). This is understandable because as was stated, most blacks in the military at that time were regulated to support positions. The 369th spent the first couple of months in Europe being stevedores and build rail lines before someone decided that pairing them up the the French would be a good idea.

I figured the Naval information is going to even harder to find because of the nature of naval warfare. Maybe someone will remember a chapter in a book or a collection of letters in some archive. There seems to be information about blacks in the Navy from Revolutionary times up to the Civil War, then it picks up again for WWII.

There is John Henry ("Dick") Turpin, who served during WWI and maybe that will be the angle needed to find others that sailed during that time.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I believe many black US soldiers were sent to serve with the French to bolster their failing lines during the last German push. The French had black colonial regiments fighting in France
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

There were black Confederate officers in the Civil war, probably on the Union side too.Not many.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"