1894 Sestroryetsk, seeking enlightenment

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Almost_Samurai

Re: 1894 Sestroryetsk, seeking enlightenment

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Thanks willyj73, The stock sure is in decent shape. If it was refinished at some point whoever did it seems to have taken care. As much as I wish it hadn't been touched I've seen far worse "Bubba" jobs so I can't complain. If you don't mind me asking what year is your Sestroryetsk that's mated to the Chatell?
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Almost_Samurai wrote: If you don't mind me asking what year is your Sestroryetsk that's mated to the Chatell?
It's a 1901. I don't know what year the receiver is. I would guess between 1893 and 1895.
Mosin Fanboy
vitaminboy

Post by vitaminboy »

Great, crisp markings. Beautiful rifle. I have an 1895 but didn't get the steal you did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

Thanks Vitaminboy! I am very fortunate to have said the right thing to the right person. He had no interest in it. Your markings are nice as well! Love the Sestroryetsk roll mark... My favorite by far.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I’ll kill you all." -Message to Iraqi leaders following the invasion. (General "MAD DOG" Mattis)
RudyN

Post by RudyN »

I have a Finnish M28 that is built on a 1894 Sestroryetsk receiver. You rifle is great!
Rudy N
1926 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
1929 Izhevsk 91/30 (Ex-Dragoon)
1935 Tula 91/30
1943 Izhevsk 91/30
1943 Tula 91/30
1943 Tula M38
1944 Izhevsk M44
1944 VKT M39
1928 SIG M28
1956 T53
entropy

Post by entropy »

Nice find, Almost_Samurai! :thumbsup: I thought I stole my 1916 Sestroryetsk at $150, and that one was in an ATI plastic stock! The correct stock was $100, (I actually got two 91/30 stocks with it at that price), and the bayonet was Near that price, too.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Nice rifle! Very Nice Price! M91 parts are awful hard to find these days and expensive too. Amazingly it is cheaper most times to buy a complete rifle than the parts to finish one. I just finished a Sestroryetsk which seems to have come from the Balkans area and has little or nothing matching on it. It has the names Mercedes carved into the left buttstock and Tresa on the right side. I added a lonely slightly cracked hand guard to it because it is complete with that and the one I had was so close in color to the stock color. I rarely if ever add things but the hand guard is so close I couldn't resist adding it. Show prices on these are running around $350 to $450 or more these days when you find them. Of course the people on Gun Bloater seem to want to pay much more these days! Oh that's right it is actually Gun Broker, Freudian slip I guess? Congrats on a nice buy and enjoy your rifle. :D Bill
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

RudyN wrote:I have a Finnish M28 that is built on a 1894 Sestroryetsk receiver. You rifle is great!
Thank you RudyN! Maybe your receiver mated to my barrel at one time in the past century! :wink:
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

entropy wrote:The correct stock was $100, (I actually got two 91/30 stocks with it at that price), and the bayonet was Near that price, too.
Thank you Entropy, I'm on the hunt for an M91 bayonet now... Seems like it will be quite the challenge. I can only hope I have a dust of luck left :)
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

zeebill wrote:It has the names Mercedes carved into the left buttstock and Tresa on the right side. I added a lonely slightly cracked hand guard to it because it is complete with that and the one I had was so close in color to the stock color. I rarely if ever add things but the hand guard is so close I couldn't resist adding it.
I appreciate the feedback zeebill! I don't think anyone would penalize you for adding a handguard that can be removed, I'd do the same. I was hoping to find personalization marks in the stock from its travels but to no avail although I did notice what I believe to be brass/tin shimstock in the stock body below receiver. Made sure it was not disturbed.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Beautiful rifle. Congratulations.

Dolk
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

dolk wrote:Beautiful rifle. Congratulations.

Dolk
Thank you Dolk! Awesome community you and your team have here. It's been an absolute pleasure browsing all the compiled information. It may be my first Mosin but in no way will it be my last. My collecting aim at this point is finding M91's from each ordnance plant. The Chief Engineer of the vessel I sail on has a Remington Armory I've got my eyes on. Fingers crossed.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Almost_Samurai wrote:Thanks willyj73, The stock sure is in decent shape. If it was refinished at some point whoever did it seems to have taken care. As much as I wish it hadn't been touched I've seen far worse "Bubba" jobs so I can't complain. If you don't mind me asking what year is your Sestroryetsk that's mated to the Chatell?
Nice rifle. The only thing that detracts from that it was, as you say refinished at some point.

But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. Take it to the range and send some rounds to the target. Should be a fine shooter. :biggrin: :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

The more you shoot the better the bore will look with proper cleaning. That's half the fun! Bill :D
Almost_Samurai

Post by Almost_Samurai »

zeebill wrote:The more you shoot the better the bore will look with proper cleaning. That's half the fun! Bill :D
Looking forward to taking it out. Need to find a better range or property in area with some reach.