Anyone else have Mossberg 500 fever?

Everything shotgun discussed here.
GT_80

Anyone else have Mossberg 500 fever?

Post by GT_80 »

I started out my shotgun "collection" with a 1973 vintage Mossberg 500AB with a scalloped finish (looks like seashells or something) bolt and elevator, then I bought the matching vintage 500C from the same shop. Near as I can figure, they were sold through Sears in the 70's and probably were purchased by the same guy and sold all to this one shop (I also got a Sears Model 54 in 30-30 from the same shop which is made by Winchester for sears in the 60's)

So after I had those two, I was looking at used guns in Cabelas and found a 1980's 500ATP Which is a pre-590A1 military and police (The TP stood for tactical police) and it was very lightly used, has a bantam style stock, and corncob grip which I love, 18" barrel and heatshield and is in a 5+1 configuration. They also made a 8+1 500ATP as well, and not being able to find one of those, I picked up a brand new Maverick 88 Security with the 8+1 capacity, and took the wood stock off my 500AB and bought another corncob grip, put the action slide from my 500AB on it, i put the plasctic stock and slide from the maverick on my 500AB. now I have two classic looking 500 riot guns, and I sold/traded my 500AB to a buddy of mine.

024.JPG
025.JPG
026.JPG
027.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1935r Izhevsk hex receiver 91/30, serial number 407, laminated stock
1942r Izhevsk round receiver 91/30 re-arsenal "parts built" gun
1944r Izhevsk round receiver M44 very smooth action
Sonny

Re: Anyone else have Mossberg 500 fever?

Post by Sonny »

Well I don't have the 500 fever but I do have a Mossberg 500 in .410.. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Got two, one wood and one plastic fantastic.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

My Mossberg 500, I keep this around for snakes. It works as I haven't seen a snake since I built it.
Mossberg defense 001.JPG
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Shotgun only deer hunting around here, and every shop sells Mossbergs. I end up buying them a few years later at the flea market when the wannabee Elmer Fudd gets bored with hunting, or they get brought in and offered up by people who owe me money. I don't know how many I have, variations of the 500, a dozen at least. Cruisers, 590 military, bird guns, riot guns, every gauge, even a snake charmer 410. Reliable, well built except for the safety, it's plastic and I have busted a few. Every year seems to turn up another one or two of them.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I have always been a Remington 870 guy, but the Mossbergs I have handled have been damn fine guns.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Longcolt44 wrote:My Mossberg 500, I keep this around for snakes. It works as I haven't seen a snake since I built it.
Mossberg defense 001.JPG
Fuck that thing.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

millman wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:My Mossberg 500, I keep this around for snakes. It works as I haven't seen a snake since I built it.
Mossberg defense 001.JPG
Fuck that thing.
:chuckles: I remember you having some problems with a rig like that! :chuckles:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

dolk wrote:
millman wrote:
Mossberg defense 001.JPG
Fuck that thing.
:chuckles: I remember you having some problems with a rig like that! :chuckles:
I think it was THAT rig.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

I was looking for a Mosgerg 500 for the home about 5 years ago when I ran into a Savage. Which is a copy of a Ithaca.

Wish I had stayed with the Mosberg. You can get stuff for it easier.

But at the price I payed then, it was a steal.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

millman wrote:
Mossberg defense 001.JPG
Fuck that thing.
Woof, such a memory. You'd think after 5 years your arm would have stopped vibrating.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

My LGS (where I work part time) just got a Mossberg 590 nightstick. We are waiting for approval from the MD HANDGUN (!!!!) board before selling them, but the boss put one on a hook next to the cash register and loaded it with 00 Buck. Fun to shoot, to say the least.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

entropy

Post by entropy »

I know Rongo really likes them. I have nothing against them, but I do prefer the 870.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
entropy

Post by entropy »

dolk wrote:I was looking for a Mosgerg 500 for the home about 5 years ago when I ran into a Savage. Which is a copy of a Ithaca.

savage2.jpg
Winchester 1300. Do NOT insult the Ithaca 37 suchly!
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have a Winchester made for Sears, forget the model, but it's probably the 1300. Got lots of Ithaca 37's, the New York made ones, excellent shotguns.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

entropy wrote:
dolk wrote:I was looking for a Mosgerg 500 for the home about 5 years ago when I ran into a Savage. Which is a copy of a Ithaca.

savage2.jpg
Winchester 1300. Do NOT insult the Ithaca 37 suchly!
OOPs, it a Stevens 350 which is a copy of an Ithaca 37. I posted the wrong photo of it. The first Stevens were Ithaca clones. The later Stevens were Winchester 1300 clones. Mine will not take Winchester parts. It will take Ithaca parts.

Either way they were both Chinese made (crap) and not Winchester or Ithaca. But they fire just as well for home defense. But they are heavier then Hell. I'm going to trade it in I think. Or give it to my son. I really should have stayed with my original choice the Mossberg.

Does anyone make a short barreled auto?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

My Sears Winchester is definitely USA Winchester made so it must not be a 1300. I will have to find it and look it up again. I have a customer with a 60's vintage Ithaca deerslayer he wants $250 for, I told him bring it over, he will once he has a bunch of bullet molds ready to sell me. He's older and slow, took him six months to bring over a big commercial electric lead furnace.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

My Mossburg is an older USA made with the corncob handle, smooth as my 870 wingmaster and a little lighter. It's a keeper.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote:My Mossburg is an older USA made with the corncob handle, smooth as my 870 wingmaster and a little lighter. It's a keeper.
Two bars on the slide, or single? All 500's are USA made, the Maverick shotgun uses some Mexico made parts.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I grew up around the Mossberg 500... It's what I'm used to & it works for me. If I were to buy another pump gun; It would probably be another Mossberg.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"