Holidays with my Vepr

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
BorisBadenov

Holidays with my Vepr

Post by BorisBadenov »

One day over the holidays warmed up to 37 degrees and the wind died down, so spent some range time with my 23" Vepr 54R SVD clone. Pulled the scope off and just used irons since the homemade range on my folks land is only about 40-50 yrds. I also needed to test out a couple new mags I had purchased for it: 2 SGM 10-rounders (plastic) and 2 Csspecs 10-rounders (steel). I already have 2 factory 5-rounders (plastic) and 2 of the SGM 10-rounders. Just need to see if the 4 new mags are up to snuff as the ones I already have.

I chose to use some Wolf (Barnaul) 174gr FMJ poly-coated steel cased ammo since I had tons of it and needed to use some up.

The rifle....

The ammo....

1st 5 shots from factory 5-round mag for "warm up"....

2nd 5 shots from a 2nd factory 5-round mag....

3rd group: 10 shots from an older SGM 10-round mag. You'll see 8 (maybe 9) holes, but all 10 went through in this grouping....

...not too bad for being cold, using irons, and having astigmatism! :lol:

I put about 250 rounds thorough it and used all mags. The Factory mags worked just flawlessly as to be expected (if only Molot made 10-rounders)!

My older SGM 10-rounder mags worked perfectly. No issues with them. The 2 new SGM mags had some feeding issues on the first round and one of them also had feeding issues on round # 2 and #4 as well. I retested both mags after cycling through some other mags and they both still had issues with the first round, but all subsequent rounds fed fine.

Using the Csspecs mags was interesting for me.... When I first got them a while ago, I tested inserting them into the rifle without the bipod or scope attached, and they clicked in easily and fit perfect. But at the range with my bipod on, I had issues inserting them. It took me a bit to figure out that the Csspecs mags have a tighter curve to them than the SGM mags and my receiver-mounted bipod was getting in the way.

The mag was hitting on the joint of the bipod legs under the quick-release (not the mount itself). I could finagle the bipod out of the way to get the mag inserted, but it was not as quick and easy as normal. Same with removing the mag. I could take off my bipod and quickly and easily snap in the mag, discharge all 10 rounds, and then quickly and easily release the mag.

The mags worked great. I did have issues with one of the mags on its first use where the 1st round did not feed. But all other times they worked great. I also fired them without the bipod and free-standing and I could quickly discharge 20-rounds with a quick mag change.

So, the only issue with the Csspecs mags was actually my own fault by mounting the bipod to the receiver which impeded the quick and easy insertion and removal of the mags. I'll still use the Csspecs mags and swear by them. Will probably order a couple more. And I still like my receiver-mounted bipod. :D

All in all, a great day at the range. I love this rifle and it's always a joy to shoot.
RazorBurn

Re: Holidays with my Vepr

Post by RazorBurn »

That's a hell of a nice rifle, and damn fine shooting too! :thumbsup:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Beauty :Drool1:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I have heard that the heavier ammo (Over +/- 150 grains) will batter a PSL apart after a while. I realize this rifle is not a PSL, but a Russian Dragunov clone, but is there an issue with this? Just curious. That is a sweet rig BTW.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
BorisBadenov

Post by BorisBadenov »

millman wrote:I have heard that the heavier ammo (Over +/- 150 grains) will batter a PSL apart after a while. I realize this rifle is not a PSL, but a Russian Dragunov clone, but is there an issue with this? Just curious. That is a sweet rig BTW.
There is no issue with heavy ball ammo in a Vepr. It has a heavier/thicker receiver and barrel than a PSL. They are built very sturdy. I could shoot 203gr ammo all day long with no issue. Well, maybe my shoulder would tire out. But the rifle wouldn't! :D
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

BorisBadenov wrote:
millman wrote:I have heard that the heavier ammo (Over +/- 150 grains) will batter a PSL apart after a while. I realize this rifle is not a PSL, but a Russian Dragunov clone, but is there an issue with this? Just curious. That is a sweet rig BTW.
There is no issue with heavy ball ammo in a Vepr. It has a heavier/thicker receiver and barrel than a PSL. They are built very sturdy. I could shoot 203gr ammo all day long with no issue. Well, maybe my shoulder would tire out. But the rifle wouldn't! :D
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

Those are nice groups. I had a 54r Vepr, but sold it before I shot it. Your performance looks much better than what I read about their accuracy. I should gave kept mine-- just couldn't pay $400 for the stock set I wanted (I missed the converted ones that Atlantic Firearms had for sale).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Mosin Fanboy
BorisBadenov

Post by BorisBadenov »

willyj73 wrote:Those are nice groups. I had a 54r Vepr, but sold it before I shot it. Your performance looks much better than what I read about their accuracy. I should gave kept mine-- just couldn't pay $400 for the stock set I wanted (I missed the converted ones that Atlantic Firearms had for sale).
Thanks! They are actually fairly accurate. I think the heavier barrel helps. Just have to find the ammo that works best in it for you. And mine is one of the first converted by Atlantic. I have purchased the Russian-made furniture from Legion, but still have yet to fit it. That'll be a project for whenever I can stop travelling for work and all the other projects I have. :)
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Very Nice rifle and shooting
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

^^ I've heard this also I personally don't shoot anything over 150gr out of the PSL but I have a buddy that all he does is shoot 180gr S&B SP's out of his PSL and had no ill effect had it for about 7 years now also. Not gonna say that won't happen but probably comes down to know your gun.
entropy

Post by entropy »

I realize this rifle is not a PSL, but a Russian Dragunov clone,
Actually, it is closer to the PSL; The Dragunov uses an op rod similar more to a SKS, the Vepr uses a carrier with attached piston like the AK.

Nice shooting, Boris Badenov! Now eez for moose and squirrel...... :twisted:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Thanks for the info and pictures of your 23" VEPR. I have a 20" VEPR w/ standard wood stock and both 5 and 10 round SGM mags for hunting feral hogs on my holiday in south Texas. I too use iron sites for close range and never have a problem w/ any weight bullet. I have been shooting regularly for 7 yrs and would'nt hunt hogs with any thing else. :BBQ2: :JGC
3kings

Post by 3kings »

Sexy vepr. Probably one of the most solid Ak variants. I have 2 . Chambered in 5.45 and 7.62x54r
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

3kings wrote:Sexy vepr. Probably one of the most solid Ak variants. I have 2 . Chambered in 5.45 and 7.62x54r
Anybody know about the Norinco SKS model M ? Accepts AK-47 mags.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

steelbuttplate wrote:
3kings wrote:Sexy vepr. Probably one of the most solid Ak variants. I have 2 . Chambered in 5.45 and 7.62x54r
Anybody know about the Norinco SKS model M ? Accepts AK-47 mags.
Ask JYD about his.He will tell you all you need to know.

C. S. Lewis