late to the PU game.

All Military Snipers are discussed here!

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
FishNHard

late to the PU game.

Post by FishNHard »

Hey all new member here from the peoples republic of New jersey ,looking to find a PU rifle and I know most are holding on to what they have , so my options are GB and the PA gun shows that I go to . I been reading that there are a lot of fakes out there and was wondering if there are any stores left selling them that are better then GB , I know GB has a few but honestly I wouldn't know the real from fake , i have 2 91/30s and 1 m44 which were decent cheap shooters from the gun shows but want to add a PU to the collection , What would i look for to spot a real one on GB , Thanks John
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: late to the PU game.

Post by Longcolt44 »

Sorry but not that simple. There is a whole section here on sniper rifles. At the top of the page you will see MOSIN SNIPER RIFLES. Reading all these sections should give you a good Idea on what to look for and what to not. Good luck.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Lots of "luck"!!!

There are as many "fakes" for sales as there are "real" snipers. If you see one you may like, PM Miller Tyme or martin08, or even myself (and a few others) and ask them to look at it for you. They are happy to do so and are great guys.

Darryl
FishNHard

Post by FishNHard »

the last gun show I went to there was a guys with a few crates of mosins and asked if he ever comes across them he said he didn't and he let me know the were 7 snipers at the show and all were fake , so like you guys say it gonna be a tough one ,
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Simo Häyhä killed more than half of his reported 500+ kills during the Winter War with an iron sighted M28/30, he was the White Death. All these fakes are around for the gun fondlers who think glass is needed to get the job done, not that they could make good use of it even if they had the real thing. It's the skill of the shooter more so than the weapon that counts, some have it and most don't go beyond average. PU's OK, M28/30 is better, just ask Simo.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
FishNHard

Post by FishNHard »

JYD I here ya .. when I bought my first 91/30 I was amazed on how well it shoots with iron sights so much so that I prefer shooting open sights , I was mostly looking for a pu to have ad a peace of history to my collection . Out of all my rifles the only scoped ones I have are are the PSL's and 1 savage long range .
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh yea, the Finn M39 is almost like magic, even with a piss poor shot like me behind the trigger. Once upon a time when I had younger eye's I could hold under 2 MOA with the M39's, just about any of them in my collection, M28/30 also. Now I just use the Force and hope for the best.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jesse

Post by Jesse »

One piece of advice I can give is slowly arm yourself with the facts from this forum. I purchased my first mosin only in late 2012 (an ex-sniper, with iron sights). Like many I knew I wanted a legit PU one day, however living in Melbourne, Australia the offerings that came along were few and far between.

I spent some time reading the words of the members here over the years and eventually, when the right rifle came along (which was only one month ago), I was able to recognise its legitimacy and make a swift, informed purchase, thanks to this forum.

Being in the States you’ll at least have more offerings than I had (although that means more fakes), but from one novice to another I’d say slowly arm yourself with the facts and patiently play the long game.

Good hunting!

Jesse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Jesse wrote:One piece of advice I can give is slowly arm yourself with the facts from this forum. I purchased my first mosin only in late 2012 (an ex-sniper, with iron sights). Like many I knew I wanted a legit PU one day, however living in Melbourne, Australia the offerings that came along were few and far between.

I spent some time reading the words of the members here over the years and eventually, when the right rifle came along (which was only one month ago), I was able to recognise its legitimacy and make a swift, informed purchase, thanks to this forum.

Being in the States you’ll at least have more offerings than I had (although that means more fakes), but from one novice to another I’d say slowly arm yourself with the facts and patiently play the long game.

Good hunting!

Jesse

:pointup:
This is good advice.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

Jesse wrote:One piece of advice I can give is slowly arm yourself with the facts from this forum. I purchased my first mosin only in late 2012 (an ex-sniper, with iron sights). Like many I knew I wanted a legit PU one day, however living in Melbourne, Australia the offerings that came along were few and far between.

Good hunting!

Jesse

Perfect example of "Good things come to those that wait."

That simple adage rings true in so many ways.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

ffuries wrote:

Good hunting!

Jesse

So true. It took me about 7 years to score this M27 off off my buddy. After a few trades, I was out about $150 for it.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29787
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

millman wrote:
ffuries wrote:

Good hunting!

Jesse

So true. It took me about 7 years to score this M27 off off my buddy. After a few trades, I was out about $150 for it.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29787
Damn, another prime example............
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

You are never to late to the sniper game sir, yes the day of $500 PU sniper rifles are gone, but its the same across the board for all milsurps.

PU snipers continue to be the best bargin around if you wish to own a legit military issued sniper rifle that will only appreciate in value.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin