Mag interrupter

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Riva9999

Mag interrupter

Post by Riva9999 »

Hi folks,

Is the interrupter supposed to keep the cartridges from rim locking? What has been your experience with this working, if so? Mine isn't great, even with pretty strong springs. Is there a 'cure' I can perform? Loading the clips a certain way almost always fails due to jostling during handling.

Thanks,
Aaron
tjtM38

Re: Mag interrupter

Post by tjtM38 »

Some of the guys on here may be able to discuss the Finn improvement that was made to the interrupter/ejector. I don't own a Finn, but I think they had a little better system. There is no real cure; it is one of the weakness of this rifle. I preload the strippers so there is the least possible chance of rim lock. When I load a srtipper, I load it grasping the top round and pushing down the other rounds below the interrupter. This leaves the first round above or in battery ready to chamber. The big fat rims are a real problem. I am trying to imagine a peasant-farmer turned soldier trying to load his rifle with gloves in sub-zero weather. I am sure they figured out a process real quick or paid with death if they didn't.
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Riva9999 wrote:Hi folks,

Is the interrupter supposed to keep the cartridges from rim locking? What has been your experience with this working, if so? Mine isn't great, even with pretty strong springs. Is there a 'cure' I can perform? Loading the clips a certain way almost always fails due to jostling during handling.

Thanks,
Aaron
Nope. The Finns came up with a modification to the magazine (the HV marked ones) that helped eliminate it. Those were on some m28/30's and some m39s. If you're loading them by hand, load them a bit forward and after pushing them down, slide them towards the rear. That'll ensure they don't get rim locked.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

If you get rimlock then your interrupter isn't working correctly. There can be several reasons for this. I've owned several that initially had a problem with the interrupter but all were easily fixed.

First off, make sure that the spring has plenty of room to move inside the stock, if the spring contacts the wood it will not move back far enough to let the next round pass by as it should.

Secondly, make sure there isn't any cosmoline in between the spring and the receiver, I've found dried cosmoline there that inhibited the spring movement.

Thirdly, inspect the spring for "adjustment bend", I've run into this on a couple, the arc of the spring was clearly not as it should be.

Fourth, check the interrupter for binding in the slot in the receiver, a burr or damage can restrict movement.

And last but not least, make sure the interrupter isn't in backwards...it can and has been done.

If you need a new spring let me know, I bought a number of them way back when I was buying a lot of Mosin's and still have quite a few.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

mogunner wrote:If you get rimlock then your interrupter isn't working correctly. There can be several reasons for this. I've owned several that initially had a problem with the interrupter but all were easily fixed.

First off, make sure that the spring has plenty of room to move inside the stock, if the spring contacts the wood it will not move back far enough to let the next round pass by as it should.

Secondly, make sure there isn't any cosmoline in between the spring and the receiver, I've found dried cosmoline there that inhibited the spring movement.

Thirdly, inspect the spring for "adjustment bend", I've run into this on a couple, the arc of the spring was clearly not as it should be.

Fourth, check the interrupter for binding in the slot in the receiver, a burr or damage can restrict movement.

And last but not least, make sure the interrupter isn't in backwards...it can and has been done.

If you need a new spring let me know, I bought a number of them way back when I was buying a lot of Mosin's and still have quite a few.
This! :pointup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Here is a picture of the proper way to load a stripper clip.
How to load a strippr clip...Mosin.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
entropy

Post by entropy »

Riva9999 wrote:Hi folks,

Thanks,
Aaron
What the hell are you doing that causes that amount of 'jostling'? I load the the mag with the rim of each one in front the last. They don't move.

Replace your magazine springs, (there are two) and the I/E (Interruptor/Ejector) spring (there is only one). That should solve it. A one-piece I/E though expensive and hard to find (they were made up until the 30's), might be another solution.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Yeah, I always thought that the primary purpose of the interrupter just kept the next cartridge in the magazine while the top one was being chambered and to provide the force for ejection. I really think that the first thing you should do is follow the correct loading procedure as stated above.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

qz2026 wrote:Yeah, I always thought that the primary purpose of the interrupter just kept the next cartridge in the magazine while the top one was being chambered and to provide the force for ejection. I really think that the first thing you should do is follow the correct loading procedure as stated above.
The force for ejection comes from your arm pulling the bolt back. The ejector is just a nub on the extractor that the rim of the shell hits when you pull it back. Depending on how hard you pull is how far the shell is thrown.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

millman wrote:
qz2026 wrote:Yeah, I always thought that the primary purpose of the interrupter just kept the next cartridge in the magazine while the top one was being chambered and to provide the force for ejection. I really think that the first thing you should do is follow the correct loading procedure as stated above.
The force for ejection comes from your arm pulling the bolt back. The ejector is just a nub on the extractor that the rim of the shell hits when you pull it back. Depending on how hard you pull is how far the shell is thrown.
You mean a nub on the interrupter, right? :whistle:
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

mogunner wrote:
millman wrote:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Interrupter yep. :thumbsup: As stated the biggest cause of rimlock is incorrect loading. When you get that right you may have no rimlock problem .
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

steelbuttplate wrote:
mogunner wrote:
millman wrote:
Yes, that is what I mean. Thanks for the correction.

C. S. Lewis
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

Thanks all, by jostling I meant the stripper clip being knocked around during storage or carrying, even the better ones I have can sometimes have the rounds shift. If the stripper clips need to be carefully loaded because interrupters don't function when all is OK, then oh well I guess. But the repair ideas will help, thanks!
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I never loaded stripper clips any specific way. The only problem I ever ran into was with the cheap stamped stripper clips from ebay that have the little "fingers" on the end, the actual Russian ones worked perfectly for me.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Riva9999 wrote:Thanks all, by jostling I meant the stripper clip being knocked around during storage or carrying, even the better ones I have can sometimes have the rounds shift. If the stripper clips need to be carefully loaded because interrupters don't function when all is OK, then oh well I guess. But the repair ideas will help, thanks!
After replacing the mag springs and the I/E spring these tips might help;

By pulling up up the tip of the bullet of the bottom cartridge and the pushing down on the base (well as far back as you can on the case) of the top round, you force the rounds into correct position as you load them off the stripper clip. It also helps them slide down in easier.

Or you could just manually load the magazine, putting the rim of each successive round in front of the one underneath it. That will virtually guarantee no rimlock.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I have not used a Mosin stripper clip in the last 25 years other than to sell to someone else and store 5 rounds together in my range box. Generally they are made to work maybe one time and not over and over like many people try to use them. Even the more well made ones for a Mauser wear out after awhile but we make table rent sometimes selling them to people who desire to use them. When they work right they work faster than single loading each shell but there is no one firing back at me at the range so far and I see no reason to be quickly reloaded after firing at my target. I am not a soldier in the field wanting to quickly reload to keep my fire base up and my body in one piece. Do you think the soldiers in the field grabbed them off the ground to reuse them or stuffed them in the already heavy kit to reload them later? Single shell reloading usually makes for no feed problems so why invite them through using stripper clips? To each his own but it seems stupid to pay extra money to buy something that only invites trouble and costs me more money? Bill :wink: ;mywink;
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I never use the stripper clips with Mosin's either. One thing that I have noticed is that the stripper clip guide on the Mosins vary a lot in their dimensions. The same clip will fit in one rifle but not in others. I wish the guides varied on the wider side than the narrower side... And for those that the clip fits in, it really seems to take me longer to load using the clip vs. one at a time.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I've never had an issue with rimlock while loading with stripper clips of singly unless there was an interrupter issue. Makes no difference how the stripper is loaded.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.