Value for 1891-1912 (M91) Tula - no import markings

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Tayloan6

Value for 1891-1912 (M91) Tula - no import markings

Post by Tayloan6 »

Hello. I am trying to figure out an approximate value for one of my Mosin Nagants that appears rare. It is an M91 (1891-1912) Tula, with no USA import markings. Can anybody give me some advise? It's in pretty good shape.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Value for 1891-1912 (M91) Tula - no import markings

Post by millman »

Pics would help a lot.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's yours and you don't know the exact year? Tula made the M91 for a lot more years than just 91-12. No USA markings is not uncommon, just means it was brought in before 1968 when the Gun Control Act of that year mandated the country of origin by marked on the firearm. A huge pile of Mosins was imported from Spain during the 1950's and early 60's. These were military aid sent by Stalin to Spain's Republican forces ( that included the communists) and later captured by the Nationalists who won the war and sold off the Mosins as surplus. Some of these will have importer markings, this is a mark put on the rifle by the importer on their own to help identify it to American buyers. Pictures would help.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Tayloan6

Post by Tayloan6 »

Thanks for the feedback and pictures are about to follow. It's an 1897. The range was based on the rarity list above. I lived in Russia for a few years, so my reading of cyrillic Russian is what I would call “bar room” at best. I believe it says “Imperial Czar’s Tula Gun Factory – 1897” or something similar. It also has a stamp “SA” near the top stamp. I found it interesting that the cleaning rod was what shiny metal compared to the typical 1891s. Perhaps just shined up some. Stock shows its wear for a 125 year old gun perhaps my comment “very good” condition is relative. I'm a new poster so let me figure out how to post the photos...! I’d welcome any feedback. Thanks, Andy
Tayloan6

Post by Tayloan6 »

This appears to be the gun's twin brother, so I have a decent idea now on value. It is not in quite as good of shape as the attached - so probably not worth quite as much. Thank you all for your help. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/735395291
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Actually that rifle is not a good example of value. The seller on that site has a very good following of deep pocket followers. Check on the bidders and you will see that at about $500 there was a biding war and drove the value up. That rifle is a $500 piece in my opinion.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:music2.gif:
Last edited by steelbuttplate on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

steelbuttplate wrote:1676 was a good year, Blackbeard was tearing up the east coast, Napoleon invented roller skates, and the Indians were still winning here. <wifemad> Men were still marrying women, Black powder muskets were the rage, and Cokes were just 5 cents. Steve was just a teenager with a guitar and a surfboard.
Wrong thread I think.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Maybe :lol:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote:Maybe :lol:
I warned you not to mess with that backwoods shine.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Tayloan6 wrote:This appears to be the gun's twin brother, so I have a decent idea now on value. It is not in quite as good of shape as the attached - so probably not worth quite as much. Thank you all for your help. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/735395291
Just know that items sold by that guy (sreisel, aka gray blanket) always sell for more than anyone elses for the most part. He has a large following of deep pocketed fellows. For that particular rifle he sold, I'd likely have placed it between 450-600 an the 600 only because it's an antique and doesn't require an FFL. I have a 1897 in better condition than the auctioned one, which I picked up last year but I only paid $225 for it. Sometimes you just get lucky.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach