Knurled and scalloped cocking knob?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
befus

Knurled and scalloped cocking knob?

Post by befus »

Got the info somewhere, but can't find it to save my soul, either here on on-line. The cocking knobs of Russian/Soviet Mosin bolts were scalloped on the bottom for some time in addition to the normal knurling. When did this practice stop? I want to say in the 30's, but just a WAG.
Befus
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Knurled and scalloped cocking knob?

Post by millman »

I don't know if it stopped with M91s or Dragoons. It is an older feature regardless.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

befus wrote:Got the info somewhere, but can't find it to save my soul, either here on on-line. The cocking knobs of Russian/Soviet Mosin bolts were scalloped on the bottom for some time in addition to the normal knurling. When did this practice stop? I want to say in the 30's, but just a WAG.
Izhevsk - 1941, together with other wartime simplifications, Tula - end of 1942
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I don't know what you mean here. Do you have a picture of scallops and knurling?
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

bunkysdad wrote:I don't know what you mean here. Do you have a picture of scallops and knurling?
If he's talking about the bottom 1/3 of the knob Looking "ground off" on the larger knob's, were mostly Imperial weren't they?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That is kind of what I am thinking here. But in my mind I am thinking of a Mauser bolt with a actual knurled flattened cocking knob. Quite a beautiful feature in my opinion.
befus

Post by befus »

Kinda odd. I have guys saying from 20's or 30's, to wartime simplifications at Izh in '41 and Tula in '42?????? Checking some other sites to see if the opinions there differ.
Befus
Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

befus wrote:Kinda odd. I have guys saying from 20's or 30's, to wartime simplifications at Izh in '41 and Tula in '42?????? Checking some other sites to see if the opinions there differ.
Just look at factory matching rifles and everything will be obvious.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I've got matching Tula's 36-40 and all have the smaller, perfectly round cocking knobs :vconfused:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Denny-

Post by Denny- »

Ratnik wrote:
befus wrote:Kinda odd. I have guys saying from 20's or 30's, to wartime simplifications at Izh in '41 and Tula in '42?????? Checking some other sites to see if the opinions there differ.
Just look at factory matching rifles and everything will be obvious.
Befus, I always thought this change, like many changes, took place around 1928. I was told wrong and, and the new info being discovered and published by Ratnik has changed a lot of old school "facts" Ratnik knows best! :) . I really enjoyed his first mosin book and am looking forward to his next. Denny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Denny-

Post by Denny- »

steelbuttplate wrote:I've got matching Tula's 36-40 and all have the smaller, perfectly round cocking knobs :vconfused:

Most 91-30's we encounter were force matched or rematched during the refurb process, and then stored away until we could enjoy them years and years later :) . The refirb's will have any number of different parts on them and will not most likely not be the same as when the rifle left the factory(factory matching as Ratnik stated vs a matching refirb). If your '36-'40 Tulas are factory matching then my hats off to you,....I have come across very few in 20 years of collecting. Denny
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I'm not sure, but 4 out of 5 of these rifles parts have the same font, the same peculiarity of spacing, leaning numbers, etc. to make you think they were stamped by the same machine on the same day. Also no sign of numbers being ground off of the bolt. They are old imports, with small import marks at the muzzle. What distinguishes factory matching parts?
Last edited by steelbuttplate on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

None of my. M91's or M91/30's are factory matching, but my 47 Russian M44 and my 54 Romanian M44 are factory matching. I'd be surprised if I found a factory matching M91/30.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

steelbuttplate wrote:I've got matching Tula's 36-40 and all have the smaller, perfectly round cocking knobs :vconfused:
Here are two factory matching 1938 Tula's. Rifle in better condition have questionable type, it's not clear from pictures, but worn rifle clearly have early pattern cocking knob
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... -pic-heavy

Matching 1939 Tula. Early pattern cocking knob
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... ng-numbers

Factory matching early 1942 Tula. Early pattern cocking knob
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... rb-42-Tula

Factory matching late 1939 Izhevsk M91/30. Early pattern cocking knob
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... g-MN-91-30

Factory matching mid 1940 Izhevsk M91/30. Early pattern cocking knob
https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=170282

Factory matching early 1941 Izhevsk M38. Early pattern cocking knob
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... M38-gamble

When I wrote dates of changes introduction, I mean periods when they were officially adopted (I have documents, so called "lists of changes"). But I know few cases when production of changes was started earlier than their adoption (good sample is 'stamped" stock nose cap, that was produced by Tula since mid 1920's, officially adopted in 1939, and Izhevsk started it's production only in 1941).
So if somebody will post pre 1941 factory original matching rifle with late pattern cocking knob, this will be interesting
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I will work on putting 3 on here. I don't know that they are matching or refurbed, but I am curious as well.
befus

Post by befus »

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated.
Befus