Type 44 Arisaka in GI shipping crate w/ sling, cleaning rods, and Type 30 bayonet

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
lthilsdorf

Type 44 Arisaka in GI shipping crate w/ sling, cleaning rods, and Type 30 bayonet

Post by lthilsdorf »

I picked this up at an auction down in PA this morning. Had to wake up at 4am, and it was an 8 hour round trip, but very much worth it. This auction came up so last minute I had to switch shifts at work with someone to make sure I was able to attend. I already own two other bring back crated rifle sets, but I think this is now my favorite. You don't see too many Type 44's still in the crate.

I ended up with a no series Type 44 still in the shipping crate, covered in the grease the GI coated it in when he shipped it home to Pennsylvania. It is exactly as I bought it, with the bayonet housing detached, but the screws still safely screwed into it. Everything is absolutely covered in cosmoline, including the bayonet.

The crate is from "T/4 Samuel A. Kershner" to "Mrs. S. A. Kershner" in Blandon, PA. There is a card on the front of the box (which is missing the lid unfortunately) under a piece of plastic giving Mr. Kershner permission to ship the rifle home. Unfortunately the plastic has yellowed over the years and I can't quite read the name or exactly what it says on it. I'll look more closely when I get time.

The rifle itself isn't anything too special. A ground much and mismatched bolt, dust cover, and floor plate. Doesn't appear to have gone through a refurb as it still has some wear and tear on it. Nothing too awful it seems though. The cleaning rods were both in the butt stock, which was a very nice surprise when I was looking during the preview.

At the bottom of the crate was a nice Type 44 style sling. Seems in good condition, but I'm going to just leave it detached from the rifle for the moment.

Also came with a nice Type 30 bayonet still in the cosmoline as well. Looks to be in nice shape. I'll probably leave that one in the grease and clean up the Type 44 itself when I get time.

Overall I am very excited for this find as I paid about $800 after tax and buyers fee. The hammer price for the box set was $650, but I had to buy the bayonet separately from the set, which was an extra $60. I haven't seen too many Type 44's in crates so I am very excited to add this to the collection.

Sorry about the lesser quality of the photos, but I had to take them inside due to the weather.

A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
ffuries

Re: Type 44 Arisaka in GI shipping crate w/ sling, cleaning rods, and Type 30 bayonet

Post by ffuries »

Awesome, you seem to be on a roll with the boxed bringbacks. Nice grouping there.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Fledge

Re: Type 44 Arisaka in GI shipping crate w/ sling, cleaning rods, and Type 30 bayonet

Post by Fledge »

Very cool find! Congrats.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is pretty slick there Bud.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

A package from 1945, :cool2: as it gets.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

A great find.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
JC 762

Post by JC 762 »

wow shipped home and left in the box for years , nice find !
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

That is an awesome find just oozing with history! Congratulations!!! :thumbsup:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...