GB find

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
steelbuttplate

GB find

Post by steelbuttplate »

My first buy this year, and my first Czech. listed as a Russian type 38, it didn't show in my regular Mosin Nagant saved search. It's built on a 1895 Ishevsk receiver, and has matching numbers all over. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by steelbuttplate on Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ffuries

Re: GB find

Post by ffuries »

Sweet looking rifle, guess I need to expand my search verbage a little more!
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Nice 91/38, Czech/Bulgarian/ Russian who knows. Their very nice carbines and hard to come by. Congrats :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
befus

Post by befus »

Wow! That's all I got!
Befus
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Interesting little bang stick.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Great find. And nice to find an antique too. Did you get a photo of the tang?

I'm adding it to the 91/38 database.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

neal45 wrote:Great find. And nice to find an antique too. Did you get a photo of the tang?

I'm adding it to the 91/38 database.
I didn't. Next time I have it apart I'll add one.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Serb crown on the barrel too. Very nice.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Wow, I'm surprised I missed this one. Good snag. That Serbian crown is often associated with Cossacks. I'd be interested in seeing what the tang says about all of this. Oh, I see Neal already asked this. Great minds think alike. :D

Congrats!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Another question. Is the bolt ep'd or stamped. I can't tell from the photos.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

neal45 wrote:Another question. Is the bolt ep'd or stamped. I can't tell from the photos.
It has been electro # matched but is nearly worn off. It has a 5 stamped on the bolt handle.
JC 762

Post by JC 762 »

Nice find!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

More pics, I didn't think there was anything Cossack. Tang pic didn't make it, it is 1895 w/ Ishevisk bow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Well, I would say that everything lines up here. Cossack=Imperial Izhevsk. The bolt might not be from a Cossack but it is appropriate for and could have been from a Cossack, i.e., it's an Imperial Izhevsk bolt. Although I will admit that the bolts for these guns came from a bin of bolts much the same as those in any of the other refurbishment programs. The only difference being that the 91/38 program was using exclusively Imperial rifles so an Imperial bolt at least stood a 50/50 chance of being added to this build (vs. a Tula bolt). I' will admit also that there are cases of post 1928 bolts on these rifles too but the overwhelming number of bolts were Imperial. Izhevsk made the Cossacks beginning in 1894. Your receiver is dated 1895 and is stamped Izhevsk. To my knowledge a Cossack receiver would have no Ka3 identifying stampings, only an Izhevsk stamp with the date. I am not an expert on Ka3 rifles and I've not seen the tang on one with the exception of the scrubbed tang on my 91/38. One thing for sure with these rifles. I have not seen a 91/38 whose barrel does not match the receiver. Whenever I say such a thing, someone always chimes in and says "mine doesn't...". But, that's good too. I'll take the heat though because I've fondled a large number of them and none of them were mismatched, i.e., armory and year.

The Serbian stamp, especially it's location on the shank on yours along with the other circumstantial things I have pointed out clearly indicates to me that there is a high probability that this is a Cossack 91/38. Of course, the proof would be in the pudding. This shank has been scrubbed so will will never be 100% certain. But, i'd spend a lot of time with a lighted magnifying glass on that shank.

Got no clue what the "5" is on the bolt. I've got a few rifles with bolts like this but never thought too much about it other than they were different, thus an added cool factor.

:2cents:
uberjon

Post by uberjon »

qz2026 wrote:I have not seen a 91/38 whose barrel does not match the receiver. Whenever I say such a thing, someone always chimes in and says "mine doesn't...". But, that's good too. I'll take the heat though because I've fondled a large number of them and none of them were mismatched, i.e., armory and year.
:
I gotta be that guy to chime in. My 1893 Chatellerault 91/38 has a 1905 Izhevsk receiver.

Fantastic gunbroker find!ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

See, I knew it :chuckles:

But, really I have never seen one and if the OP's rifle was mine, at least inside, I'd tell myself it was a Cossack :D
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Your right, It's a cossack :lol: at least until Dolk say it ain't. :shifty:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote:Your right, It's a cossack :lol: at least until Dolk say it ain't. :shifty:
Send me the rifle and I will see if it's a Cossack for you. :twisted:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

You have your own to fondle and cherish, that you gave $19 for way back when. I'm a keeping this'n. :vcool: