Romanian M1891 ?'s

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
befus

Romanian M1891 ?'s

Post by befus »

Well, as I wrote earlier in a post most probably missed, I am clearing out the last few in the non-Finnish Mosin collection. I have two M91's in the group. This particular enquiry concerns the one with the so called Romanian splice. It is a mix-master, as most of these Eastern European guns are, and is in good+ condition. I sold several Finnish M91's last year and had a pretty good idea as to their value, and got some excellent coaching from a new friend on auction sites earlier this week, but thought I'd ask about this one. I'll go snap a couple of shots of it and post following. I'm not up to speed as to whether the Romanian connection and neat splice add much value or not. Being a Sestroryetsk doesn't hurt and it has the "C" normally connected with Balkan guns, and I gather has the typical 1916 date. Just wondering if I'd be far off thinking it might be a $450-$550 piece :?:
P1030082.JPG
P1030083.JPG
P1030084.JPG
P1030089.JPG
P1030090.JPG
P1030091.JPG
P1030093.JPG
P1030094.JPG
P1030096.JPG
P1030092.JPG
P1030100.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Befus
racerguy00

Re: Romanian M1891 ?'s

Post by racerguy00 »

I recently sold two similar rifles. 375 for an Izhevsk and 365 for a Tula. These seem underappreciated in my opinion.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

racerguy00 wrote:I recently sold two similar rifles. 375 for an Izhevsk and 365 for a Tula. These seem underappreciated in my opinion.
Agree, I'd be firm at $350 for my 1916 Tula. Being Sestroyetsk might bump it up.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

$450-$500? :lol: Oh wait, you were serious? :shock: Not from me you wouldn't, $150 and hamburger and coffee on me maybe, but then I am cheap when it comes to paying hundreds of dollars for rifles I once bought for tens of dollars. Shit I hope you get that $500, I am going to be pulling for that to happen even more than you, I got a lot of these rifles and plan to retire someday, high prices are music to my ears :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Don't forget to check the buttstock and finger groove for tiny Bulgarian pinecone stamps. $350 would be my guess, but go for the $500 and let me know what happens :twisted:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
befus

Post by befus »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:$450-$500? [emoji38] Oh wait, you were serious? :shock: Not from me you wouldn't, $150 and hamburger and coffee on me maybe, but then I am cheap when it comes to paying hundreds of dollars for rifles I once bought for tens of dollars. Shit I hope you get that $500, I am going to be pulling for that to happen even more than you, I got a lot of these rifles and plan to retire someday, high prices are music to my ears [emoji106] [emoji106] Don't forget to check the buttstock and finger groove for tiny Bulgarian pinecone stamps. $350 would be my guess, but go for the $500 and let me know what happens :twisted:
Just asking. I sold multiple Finnish ones for around $450-500 last year and one Ruskie. Just needed a starting place and will lower my price on these due to estimates here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Befus
willyj73

Post by willyj73 »

I would guess closer to $450 for a value. Sestroryetsk's do tend to sell at higher prices. The fact that these are missing cleaning rods and have scrubbed eagles tend to lower their value to a lot of people. Yours at least has the eagle on the receiver. I sold a Balkan Sestroryetsk for $400 shipped 2-3 years ago. I'd wipe the stock off a little prior to posting it for sale. The grain in those Romanian stocks tends to look really nice and could tempt somebody to spend a little more. :2cents:
Mosin Fanboy
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Balkan Serbian connection and that splice that is always identified with the Romanians is often see on straight Russian rifles too. The Sestroryetsk armory is rare to find these days so that will add a bid to it. I would say start at $475 and see what happens there. You can always go down but never up! Good Luck. Bill :D
neal45

Post by neal45 »

I agree on the Sestroryetsk bonus and some of the others for $450-475 range. And I think the Romanian splice is a bit of a plus too.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Finn M91'a are always going to sell for more. The level of workmanship and care is higher with a Finn built or maintained rifle. I have seen near shotgun type bores on ex Romanian M91's, badly worn crowns, crude wood repairs and you can forget about shimmed actions. Finn bores will at least meet minimal standards, they will mostly shoot 4-6 MOA of they wouldn't have been retained intact by the Finn Army. It seemed to be an anything goes sort of deal in Romania. Romanian M91's are best bought for their history, Finn M91's if you intend to actually shoot them.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

This is a pretty cool rifle. My feelings are that if you sell it on GunBroker, you should start it out at around $250 and let the buyer's decide the price. But, that's just me I guess. I'm a firm believer that starting the price too high or to have reserves scares away a lot of watchers. The Sestroryetsk's can be fickle and sometimes draw more than you think. This one seems to have some Serbian and Romanian history. I think it could draw high 4's, maybe a little more if you can get a couple of guys waring over it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The formula for selling something when you are unsure of the top market value, price it according to the most expensive one you found that sold, plus fifty bucks. You might get lucky and someone pounces on it, it's happened to me in some of my sales. Then if it fails to sell at that high price put a best offer option on it and wait a month. If that fails keep the BO but drop the price a hundred bucks. You would be surprised hom many times a buyer will hit it for the full asking price while ignoring the BO. This morning I sold a wiper switch for a 66 Chevy, the guy went the full $50 despite a BO I had set to take $25, he could have offered 20 and I would have taken it. Gotta love buyers like that. Do not use this formula if you don't have any clue at all what something is selling for, I see that happening too many times, and unless I am the buyer it always upsets me to see sellers not doing their homework.
Theodore Roosevelt
befus

Post by befus »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The formula for selling something when you are unsure of the top market value, price it according to the most expensive one you found that sold, plus fifty bucks. Then if it fails to sell at that high price put a best offer option on it and wait a month. If that fails keep the BO but drop the price a hundred bucks. You would be surprised how many times a buyer will hit it for the full asking price while ignoring the BO.
JYD you appear a bit at odds with qz2026 as to how to get top dollar, but I think you both have valid points. The problem with yours is it may not sell at all, and the problem with his is that unless two fellers get locked up, you will lose it for considerably less than it is worth (to you). Good points both tho.
Befus
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ebay superseller on two accounts for 15+ years, plus the scrap and auto parts business for a lot longer than that. The profits from my selling financed my entire gun collection, a string of antique cars, and my now my antique phonograph operation. I am shipping 6 days a week, multiple packages, 1000 sales a year or more you learn some tricks.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

I typically look for the lower starting bid auctions to watch on GunBroker. That is just me, but I believe you scare a lot if prospective buyers away, with high starting bids and reserves. A large collection hit GunBroker last year. The sellers starting bids are always $99. He does well by the time the auction ends.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Everybody hates reserve auctions, everybody loves the best offer option. Make me an offer, all I can say is no, I can't reach through the computer and smack you around, not yet anyway.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

One warning about best offer, don't abuse it. Last year I offered some dick $5 under his list price for a phonograph, and he hit back with a counteroffer of .5 less than list. Really? Five whole cents? That one I did want to smack around for wasting my time.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

:2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote::2cents:
Two cents under list? Why would you want to do that and risk antagonizing a potential customer, and losing a possible payday? The object of sales is to trade an object you have for money the other guy has while receiving more money in payment than you paid out for the object to start with. Then you get to trade that money for something you want. We should revive that thread we had going regarding shit poor sales practices at gunshops we had going some time back.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

turdhead wants to :bigrant: over .5 cents I should :furious: and :hammer: :bdh: :donk: :hunter: :hitsfan: shit can the whole deal. :flush:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Absolutely, that sort of behavior tells me in two seconds that I am dealing with some shit for brains Bubba, and the transaction is likely to be a problem in every possible way. Whatever it is isn't unique, I will find it again as good or better, why put up with aggravation I don't need? I have no problem at all walking away from any sale, and I have done so many times.
Theodore Roosevelt