Help me out here guys please

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
befus

Help me out here guys please

Post by befus »

Been a while, but I am finally moving the last of my Russia/Soviet collection out. Taking the last 25, or so, to Tulsa next month. Here is the problem, a couple are just impossible to find current info on. I have searched high and low, but just can't find enough info to put a outright sale price on them. I have one 91/38 and two 91/59's that I need some general price info on. All are VG and have no real downgrades, save the 91/38 which has a dark bore and a penciled bolt. If you could just give me a ballpark figure (xxx=xxx) I'd be quite grateful. TIA.
Befus
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help me out here guys please

Post by Longcolt44 »

Just add $50.00 to what you paid for these.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

Longcolt44 wrote:Just add $50.00 to what you paid for these.
That would probably be the best answer your gonna get it unless you somehow bought them for under a 100 back in the day then add like 150 to it lol.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Do you have any pictures you can post? It might be helpful. We have some folks on the board that are very knowledgeable about these conversions.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

As far as the 91/38, price depends on arsenal and date. They are generally in good refurbed condition (unless someone failed to clean the bore after shooting corrosive. Photos would help but they run from around $500 to much higher, depending on arsenal and date.

I have a database of 91/38s and would love to have photos. See sticky above for the database information. Please consider a new thread on yours.
befus

Post by befus »

Most of y'all are killin me! :vconfused: The thing I like least about forums is the almost total lack of info on value which is offered when asked about pricing. I'm not a newbie, have thousands of posts around the internet, and yet guys refuse to offer opinions. I understand no one wished to stick their neck out, but really this is how you help fellow collectors? Disappointing at the least. When Gunbroker removed the ability to check on prices realized on sales it killed the price valuation process for most of us. Even on sale/trader forums half the guys remove prices one the piece sells. Why? I guess to make sure no one can accurately gauge the value of their guns. In my case, I can find only three of these weapons which have sold and have prices listed, and one is so outlandish as to be worthless as a tool. Thanks to the two guys who offered help.
Befus
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Value is in the eye of the beholder. What do we know about the market in your area? Gunbroker is an auction site, list it for $100 with however high a reserve you like and see what the market will offer you. There are simply not enough of these type Mosins trading for anyone to get a firm market value on them. Or rather a real market value, and that would be the average of what the last seven or eight to sell brought. If there haven't been any selling in the last six months or a year then how can we determine value? I can guess if you like, $250-$300 each if you walk it around at a gun show based on what I might pay if they caught my eye in a no bullshit cash deal on the spot. Some collector on GB might pay more, who knows. Don't go by the super high price, might be legit, or might be two sellers working together shill bidding to drive up the cost of all of that type rifle by holding up an outlandish auction price as proof the rifles are worth a great deal. You need to monitor sales on GB in real time to see what if anything they bring, takes time, you have to wait for someone to list, see the problem with these value questions?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

So knocking off some of those who replied is going to help? Lets turn this around sir, you have been a member since 2012, yet you have only posted 13 times, yet in those 6 years there have probably been a thousand "what is this worth" posts.

So how many have you responed too "to help out your fellow collector"
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

befus wrote:Most of y'all are killin me! :vconfused: The thing I like least about forums is the almost total lack of info on value which is offered when asked about pricing. I'm not a newbie, have thousands of posts around the internet, and yet guys refuse to offer opinions. I understand no one wished to stick their neck out, but really this is how you help fellow collectors? Disappointing at the least. When Gunbroker removed the ability to check on prices realized on sales it killed the price valuation process for most of us. Even on sale/trader forums half the guys remove prices one the piece sells. Why? I guess to make sure no one can accurately gauge the value of their guns. In my case, I can find only three of these weapons which have sold and have prices listed, and one is so outlandish as to be worthless as a tool. Thanks to the two guys who offered help.
Less then 16 posts here? Now, if I asked the same question, I'd bet we would get a different answer. And sometimes it take a little time for everyone here to answer. So if you are in that big of a rush, then maybe you came to the wrong forums.

Those rifles are hard to figure the price on because there are not a lot of them being sold (as you have figured out). So what are you wanting? Price on demand'? There is no vast conspiracy trying to keep you from selling your rifles at a good price.

Dolk
befus

Post by befus »

Hey it's ok guys. I'm a little jaded I guess as over the years, especially at Gunboards where I have over a thousand posts, folks are not very cooperative and have seen many downright condescending posts following a request for price info. I don't even ask over there anymore. I am a relatively advanced Mauser collector, but have more, or less accumulated Mosins over the years, thus my ignorance. I just don't like auctions because of the many hassles I have encountered over the years in shipping situations, including having to unpack multiple times at UPS to show them the guns were not loaded, to having the local PO refuse to ship them period. So I much prefer a fair fixed price at the big Tulsa shows where I can move 20+ in two days with no shipping hassles. Thus the price request. I apologize for my gruff reply above.
Befus
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

No problem here.

Gunboards? OK, now I understand.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

$500 for the 91/38, the most recent I found was $555 in 2015 so 500 is probably low, and $400 for the 91/59's, unless the 59's are built on Hexs. Give or/take $100. Average recent sales. Except there are no recent 91/38 sales, except the one I bought today. :shifty: I'll post and send info to Neal 45 when it gets here.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I am on my best behavior, there was a time back in my FFL days I might tell you the piece of junk was worth maybe 80 bucks, but being it's Tuesday I will go a C note :biggrin: . That even worked occasionally at the flea markets, I practiced keeping a straight face as I said I will probably regret taking on yet another project like this, should have my head examined.....while handing over the $100 for the US M1903 Springfield ( good price even for 1992)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Steelbuttplate gave you numbers I would agree with.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

91/38 would be $250 to $500 plus.

91/59 would be $250 to $400

How's that work? Bill
befus

Post by befus »

Thanks men, that is a good number of similar opinions and I appreciate them. I also had a member reach out via PM and provide me with a pretty detailed report on them, and he actually ended up buying one! So all's well that ends well.
Befus
AMCHornet

Post by AMCHornet »

The only person I can speak of is myself.

I'd give you a price if I knew. I am very new here. I've only owned Mosins for about a year and all I have are refurb 91/30s. I have a good idea of what their value looks like in several regions right now but I barely have any idea what a 91/38 or 91/59 even are. I could spitball some random number and throw it out there, but I'd rather say nothing than spread false information about something I know very little about.

Run of the mill refurbished 91/30s with perfect bores and nearly perfect overall condition are fetching $200-250 many places now, so I'd think a 91/38 or 91/59 would be at least worth that, but again....I'm spitballing. No way am I an expert on this.
I'm just here for the free coffee mug and tee shirt. :vcool:
Lavitias

Post by Lavitias »

I think what were getting at here is their worth at least $250 probably more in my area where 91/30's can get up around $325 but all depends on where you live.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

I'll add a bit more with some examples for 91/38s. As I said earlier, arsenal and date are very important. I have seen Sestroryetsks go on GunBroker from $1000 to $4000. Antiques go for more than later dates. Later Izhevsks bring nearer the $500 where really rare ones like NEW, Remington, and 91/38 with bayonet still attached would go in the many thousands.

I have recent prices in the $300 range too. But those are selling at M38 prices since that is what they look like to many gun stores and pawn shops.

You sort of downgraded yours because of the dark bore and ep bolt. Of 140 in my database, 78% have an ep'd bolt. Dark bores often clean up. So many folks want one of each type of Mosin and the 91/38s are relatively hard to find that those 2 factors would not turn off lots of buyers.
vandeda

Post by vandeda »

I will say that I have purchased from befus before (off gunboards), and my recollection was that he was fair, communicated well, shipped quickly, and the rifle was as described. Not sure if that means much as I don't have many posts myself since I feel I have little of real value to offer, but figured I'd offer my experiences with befus.
Last edited by vandeda on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.