Experimental Mosin-Nagant Rifle Chambered in 7.62x39mm

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... 7-62x39mm/
Lotema

Re: Experimental Mosin-Nagant Rifle Chambered in 7.62x39mm

Post by Lotema »

4 years of work certainly makes you wonder how many were produced and are sitting in a crate somewhere. Probably very few if any but you never know.

There are a lot of interesting post war variants in Chumaks book. Some really blended the SMS and mosin even more.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

A 10 round light recoil M-44 ! I'll take two :thumbsup:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

Detailed pictures of MK-74 were published in recent M91 book by R.Chumak. There were two models, one with blade bayonet, another - with spike bayonet, only few of them were produced for trials.
Also, there were other designs of the 7,62*39 weapons, based on M44, for example, few models were created by Rukavishnikov. And, modification that were tested on MK-74 carbines, soon were used at trial M44 model for 7,62*54 cartridge.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Makes you wonder what would have happened if they adopted this rifle in 1942-1943? I suspect the M-44 was adopted as it was because of the .54r cartridge. This carbine, I suspect, would have been really popular with the troops... But, I guess the thought of manufacturing and distributing new ammunition at this point didn't make much sense to them. I'd love to have one of these though...
Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

First tasks about intermediate cartridge weapons design were issued to soviet constructors only in autumn 1943, they were about assault rifles and self-loading carbines and rifles.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

In the 1942 or so time frame another Mosin variant was tested. A mosin "style" antitank gun. Very long cartridge. I suspect there were others also. I'm not sure how many but I'd bet there were few of each type made.

Testing is fine but their problem probably was production. When you are having difficulties producing a standard rifle (at times), adding something new would only aggravate that problem. Best to stay with what is working if you are having production problems. Stay with the basics first.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

qz2026 wrote:Makes you wonder what would have happened if they adopted this rifle in 1942-1943? I suspect the M-44 was adopted as it was because of the .54r cartridge. This carbine, I suspect, would have been really popular with the troops... But, I guess the thought of manufacturing and distributing new ammunition at this point didn't make much sense to them. I'd love to have one of these though...
Stalin wanted to stay with the 7.62x54r, because uh....just because. Plenty of weapons and ammo on hand I reckon.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

dolk wrote:In the 1942 or so time frame another Mosin variant was tested. A mosin "style" antitank gun. Very long cartridge. I suspect there were others also. I'm not sure how many but I'd bet there were few of each type made.

Testing is fine but their problem probably was production. When you are having difficulties producing a standard rifle (at times), adding something new would only aggravate that problem. Best to stay with what is working if you are having production problems. Stay with the basics first.
Such rifles were tested in early-mid 1930's. I have detailed info, drawings, etc. Everything will be published in new book
neal45

Post by neal45 »

It is always interesting to see another Mosin variant. Nice presentation on the site and thanks for the link.