Salvagable?

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Jimmy Joe Meeker
Location: Stuck between Cali expats, a Starbucks and a Evergreen

Salvagable?

Post by Jimmy Joe Meeker »

So this past week I met a feller on craigslist who was selling a nice 70's Abu Garcia reel, well I decided to meet the guy at his house since no flags were tripped and I was bringing a 6'3' plus one. Well it turns out that I'm really glad I met him at his place because he was a friendly gent who was getting near retirement and wanted to make some room in the garage and narrow down his collections. So to the point of this post, he had an old can of LC 53 black tipped 30 06 on enblocs. The only problem is that he had bought them from a guy at a garage sale who had stored them out in the barn. All told there is 480 rounds and 60 enblocs, the only question is do you think there is anything salvageable besides the AP bullets? Is there an easy way to polish the tarnish off the bullets, rust off the enblocs and is the brass still safe for reloading?
Thanks in advance for the advice guys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"His gun is deadly... mine is in a cookie jar."- Jim Rockford

I have a special this week- Opinions come with no extra charge.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Salvagable?

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Clean the rust off the clips and they are good, as for the ammo, pull the bullets and reload them into clean brass.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Clean the rust off the clips and they are good, as for the ammo, pull the bullets and reload them into clean brass.
+1
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

I have a pal with some 303 with the same issue. It didn't seem wise to mess with them outside of saving the bullets. I understand wanting to use them but the risk seemed too high.
Vintage Paul

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.
big-ugly

Post by big-ugly »

I would probably just keep them as an interesting conversation piece/collector item. Some day your great grandchildren can make up stories about how that particular case of ammo was fished out of Pearl Harbor or some such. Or has already been said, pull the bullets and reload if your feeling the need.
M39 Shooter

Post by M39 Shooter »

I would pull the bullets, black tip were going for a dollar each last gun show. If you have a brass tumbler just put them in there. If you have a problem with them settling to the bottom try adding some brass to the mix. The clips, soak in diesel oil or PB blaster for a few days then break out the wire brush.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I would hit a few with some 4-0 steel wool and see what they looked like. If they were sound, I wouldn't be afraid to try to shoot one. About the worst thing to happen would be a squib.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

I know this sounds crazy, but get a big bottle of Texas Pete, use a baking dish or something and roll the rounds around in the sauce a couple minutes and wipe them off. Then examine the cases for pitting. You non believers try this with a nasty dark penny.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Did it work? I thought I had used TP on brass also. :?:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
entropy

Post by entropy »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Clean the rust off the clips and they are good, as for the ammo, pull the bullets and reload them into clean brass.
+2

Nice Ambassadeur reel, too! 5500?
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Jimmy Joe Meeker
Location: Stuck between Cali expats, a Starbucks and a Evergreen

Post by Jimmy Joe Meeker »

Thank you all for the advice. Sorry about the delay, I've been a bit busy lately between directing a fundraiser for my high school band teacher who is out battling brain cancer and working extra shifts in order to pay for a few new acquisitions(check out the other forums)... I think I'll go with a combination, continue to hand polish the better looking ones and pull the bullets from the downright nasty.
Steel... what exactly are you North Carolina boys growing down there??? :shock: I bought a big bottle of Texas Pete (why's it called Texas Pete if its made in North Carolina?) and tried it on a few rounds and sure as heck it cleaned up that brass no problem. Which makes me ask, who went and got the bright idea to start eating perfectly good brass polish?
IMG_3299_opt.jpg
IMG_3300_opt.jpg
Thank you and close but no cigar Entropy, it's actually a 6000. It's nice to run across someone else who even knows what an Abu is. I think you'll get a kick out of the collection once I get them all cleaned and presentable
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"His gun is deadly... mine is in a cookie jar."- Jim Rockford

I have a special this week- Opinions come with no extra charge.
entropy

Post by entropy »

So it is. :oops: Here's my 6000; It is at least 50 years old, my Dad bought it when my Uncle John taught him how to muskie fish on Bone Lake, WI., ca. 1964 or 5.

Abu Ambassadeur6000.jpg
Here's the whole Muskie rod, complete with big a$$ Daredevle, I've caught 3 muskies in that Daredevle, and many follows, as well as a boatload of Northerns, and the odd bass. :D
Muskie rod.jpg
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Did you say Lake Wobegon?

What is Texas Pete? Is that hot sauce?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

SA1911a1 wrote:Did you say Lake Wobegon?

What is Texas Pete? Is that hot sauce?
Yes it is hotsauce. I think plain vinegar would have worked as well.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
silverado1999

Post by silverado1999 »

I would inspect that brass REEEEEAAAL good! I was just reading on another site about a guy who's grandson was shooting some 223 in old brass with old surplus powder that apparently had at least partially decomposed. The neck of the first round separated and stuck in the chamber. The next few rounds the bolt wouldn't lock up. Finally a 4th or 5th round locked up but was spongy, and it and a couple more suffered neck separation. He pulled a few down and tried annealing them and couldn't soften the brass at all. And this stuff was only 20 years old.

Be very careful with old ammo that hasn't been protected from humidity, make sure to check it out well before trying to fire it. Good luck.
Curious enough to take it apart;
Skilled enough to put it back together;
Clever enough to hide the extra parts!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I had the same thing happen to me with some Argentine practice ammo I had bought. Didn't look as bad as yours but it was close. Only about 10% went bang, so I started pulling bullets. I was able to salvage about 50 very nice 185 gr bullets and all of the powder. I wish I could buy spitzers like that but, alas, their impossible to find. The primers were what caused the non ignition. They were shot. But, the powder was good as the day they loaded it in the case. I used the bullets and powder in new cases and shot it last week. I used about 3 grains more powder than they did and the stuff shot awesome. I'd recommend salvaging anything you can. The cases are shot but most of the bullets should still be good. Don't know how the powder will fare but mine was fine.