Tokyo Arsenal Type 38 w/ matching dust cover and original sling

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
lthilsdorf

Tokyo Arsenal Type 38 w/ matching dust cover and original sling

Post by lthilsdorf »

In the same auction that I picked up the CC marked Nagoya Type 38, I grabbed this Tokyo Artillery Arsenal Type 38 with a bayonet and original sling for $220. By no means is it a mint example, but it has a lot of honest patina to it.

It came with a neat little tag on it claiming it was brought back from New Guinea by a J. Schmilz (or possible Schmitz). After looking up the museum I came to find out it was ran by a local man in Minnesota who would collect items from locals while he worked as a milk man. Likely he picked this rifle up from a local and that's how he ended up with it. When he passed away his relatives sold off the estate and the museum. Obviously it adds no value, but I find it a neat addition.

The rifle itself is a Tokyo Artillery Arsenal Type 38 in the 1,040,000 range. It has a mismatched firing pin, floor plate, and safety, but everything else that I have seen, including the stock and the dust cover is correct. Assembly under is 739 under the wood. The safety and firing pin actually have the same assembly number.

As a nice bonus the mum is also still intact. Stock is a bit rough, but there are still some nice visible cartouches on the wrist of it. The screw holding the two tangs in place is frozen up real good, and I may end up needed to drill it out to get the magazine out. There is a lot of active rust under there I'd like to take care of.

It also came with a nice original Type 38 leather sling. It's really not in too bad of a shape, but there's some cracking where it was bent while attached to the rifle all these years. Debating if I'll keep it off the rifle or reattach it once I've completely finished the cleaning job.

Overall it's a neat rifle that I fell I got for a good price. Nice to find a matching dust cover on an earlier rifle like this one. I've guessing the 3 mismatched parts happened during service. The floor plate is a common one in my experience, but I also have a nearly all matching early Type 38 with a mismatched firing pin, so maybe that happened occasionally too.

Thanks for looking!

A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
ffuries

Re: Tokyo Arsenal Type 38 w/ matching dust cover and original sling

Post by ffuries »

Damn you are on a roll.....can't say enough about this one other than awesome.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Nice find
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Nice score! You might try an impact driver with the correct size bit before drilling out that one screw. That will usually break a screw free. Maybe hit it with Kroil for a day or two first. If all the screws are staked, maybe just leave it as is?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You can still smell the rotting corpse that was lying next to before GI Joe glommed on to it and brought it home. Nice find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The sling alone is a nice find. Way to score!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum