Stock with 'filled in' area

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Riva9999

Stock with 'filled in' area

Post by Riva9999 »

Hi folks,

A couple of my Mosins have what looks like a filler wooden piece in front of the mag body, at the front. It almost looks like something longer was there, maybe an older mag body, and then they stuck a plug in there during refurb? Anyone else seen this?

Thanks, Aaron
Lee-online

Re: Stock with 'filled in' area

Post by Lee-online »

I have a refurb with it. Don't know if it was a repair of damage or repairing a manufacturing mistake.

It's infront and behind the mag and is a nice clean repair.

Kollaa kestää
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

On the one I had like that there was a crack visible inside the stock when the action was removed. I assumed it was a fix for that.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Stock had trigger guard with early finger rest? Bill
target

Post by target »

The early finger rest guards were a lot longer weren't they?

I also think it's just a repair. I think one of mine has something similar behind the rear tang.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Don't remember right now but, don't the "finger rest" mags from early on get longer in the rear only. And not in the front?

Can't remember and I don't have access right now to look. But it seems like that.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I believe I have one with a similar stock. I never gave it too much thought.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

The finger rest is in the rear only. My guess is also that the OP is looking at a typical repair.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated