Need help identifying cause of SVT 40 cycle failure

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Kzman

Need help identifying cause of SVT 40 cycle failure

Post by Kzman »

Hello all, I haven't been hanging out here much lately but it is good to see the forum still doing well. I picked up a very nice SVT 40 last year. My first trip to the range was a memorable learning experience. As a rule I never take anyone to the range without first ensuring that they have a good working knowledge of the firearm to be used (PMI). Sadly I did not apply this rule to myself. I fired (my) first shots through it having never even inspected the gas system for proper operation, nor did I know how any of the gas system parts functioned or even what they looked like! OOps! Safety violation on me :oops:

Lesson learned-this is no SKS! Although many of the similar looking components are in the same places and the dimensions (except Length) have much in common, the SVT-40 lacks the brutal durability and simplicity of the gas system of the SKS. The cup was corroded to the piston thus no rearward bolt movement upon firing. Anyhow, got that squared away. Shoots pretty darn accurate too. The guy I bought it from really knew how to zero a rifle as I was able to hit clay pigeons at 100 yds with ease.

Now another issue has developed. About every fourth or fifth shot the bolt will "stick" just a centimeter or so short of it's rearward travel. The spent case is still on the bolt face as it hasn't traveled enough to hit the extractor. After removing the spent case, it takes a rather hard forward palm slap to free the bolt which then seems to function just fine. After another five shots or so the problem is repeated.

I am well aware that there is good reason that the SVT did not become a successful and much copied design. In fact I am quite hesitant to continue shooting it. I am debating on whether to resolve this issue at the risk of breaking something or just keep it for it's historical value. I have only used non-corrosive PPU and MFS ammunition. Any experienced advice appreciated.
miner49r

Re: Need help identifying cause of SVT 40 cycle failure

Post by miner49r »

Did you change ammo?
What's the gas setting?
Does the bolt cycle normally by hand unloaded with the mag out?
Trigger resetting?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Kzman

Post by Kzman »

1. Only two types of ammo. PPU and MFS.
2. Gas setting is 1.2.
3. Yes.
4. I don't know but that's definitely something to look into
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

1.2 {1.1} could be little low. I run 1.3 with Russian ammo and 1.5 with the Chinese stuff.
SVT-40's are pretty finicky with ammo and gas settings. I also had trigger issues but that was with the bolt fully locking up.

hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

Are there good resources for SVT-40 owners these days? Back when these were being imported and sold there was very little info available.

I can't recall having ever seen one at the range.
Vintage Paul

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

YouTube is your friend. Lots of information about the gun there

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Check the entire gas system again not just for the crud buildup but for weak or broken springs. My SVT is very fickle, I can shoot it all day but If I let somebody else try it, it won't shoot more than one round...ask millman.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Longcolt44 wrote:Check the entire gas system again not just for the crud buildup but for weak or broken springs. My SVT is very fickle, I can shoot it all day but If I let somebody else try it, it won't shoot more than one round...ask millman.
I was about to say "Calling Chuck!".
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Longcolt44 wrote:Check the entire gas system again not just for the crud buildup but for weak or broken springs. My SVT is very fickle, I can shoot it all day but If I let somebody else try it, it won't shoot more than one round...ask millman.
Maybe a kinked recoil spring.. that cover can be a pain to deal with. I've caught myself getting pissed, just wanting to force it. :shock: :D It's possible to kink the spring if one takes a fit, and shoves it on.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.