Is that acceptable as restoration?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Riva9999

Is that acceptable as restoration?

Post by Riva9999 »

Hi folks,

I ran across a 1930 hex receiver rifle in semi-sad shape today. Most bolt parts were very rusty and the bore was junky and dark. The store wouldn't even allow a muzzle erosion check... very sad indeed. But it's still potentially a nice piece. Is it considered restoration or "no foul" to swap out bolt pieces with un-rusty ones and still be considered an unaltered rifle? The refurb operations did it so if it's using Russian / Soviet parts am I in the clear?

Thanks!
Aaron
racerguy00

Re: Is that acceptable as restoration?

Post by racerguy00 »

Just clean up the bolt with solvent and a bronze brush or something. Stop the active rust without polishing it up or swapping it.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Changing any part on the Mosin bolt can impact it's headspace. A bolt that passes with one part or combination of parts could fail headspace with another part or parts swapped in. Oil and a bore brush, scrub the rust off and leave it as is. Rust is not uncommon when dealing with milsurp antique rifles.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

Great, thank you.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You would be surprised at how some nasty looking rifles can clean up nicely.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Very true. It might take a hour or several of tlc working the rusty spots. If the bolt has the matching (or force matched) number on it that would be better than a shiny replacement

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Many times, you can get rid of rust with no substantial damage to the remaining finish. A soft touch with 0000 steel wool with a little oil will do wonders. I have bought some butt-ugly guns, cheaply, in pawn shops and ended up with jewels after a little TLC.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

Well, I bought it. After disassembly the innards are all good (except the sear screw that broke the bit I used, time for a good oil soak to get it out) and there is no noticeable rust or pitting on the barrel exterior. The bore however is very dark... working some magic now. But I didn't notice something until now, the stock has pre-war 2-screw escutcheons on the front but a wartime-type plain hole on the buttstock. Never seen that before, any idea why? The barrel shank and receiver are both 1930 Izhevsk (hex). I see no screw holes or wood repairs where they would be at the back so this is a bit odd. Every one of these has a bit of mystery, which is why I like them so much.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They continued to use the older parts until they ran out, this accounts for the new and old style sling slot escutcheons on the same stock. Sometimes this can happen with repaired stocks also when an older forend is grafted onto a newer stock. Try Chapman gun screwdriver bit set and a can of Kroil oil. Chapman sets are top quality and USA made hollow ground screwdriver bits. Nothing more destructive to antiques than cheap junk screwdrivers.
Theodore Roosevelt
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

Thanks JYD I agree. Update: well the saga continues. I looked at the bottom of the stock and there appear to be two metal inserts at the front and rear of the opening for the mag assembly. I don't recall seeing this before in my other Mosins. Are those aftermarket attempts to 'bed' the stock or something else entirely? Sorry I can't provide photos yet, I'm on an old PC since my usual one got fried in the windstorm a couple weeks back.

By the way thank you for this forum and replies. Looking forward to learning.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Those shims show up on mosins from time to time. I've found them on Soviet refurbs and we'll used imports from Romania too. They were put in to properly position the magazine for reliable feeding.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Go to Newegg.com, or similar computer seller and get one of the cheap "off lease" or refurbished corporate computer. I buy a new one every two or three years, when it blows up I toss it and get another. I do not spend large amounts of money on PC's
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I have a bolt that has a pretty deep pit. I'll not mess with it though. :thumbsup:

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That is not a pit, that is an impact crater, you can see the raised edges around it were metal was mushroomed out of shape. Likely battle damage of some sort.
Theodore Roosevelt
Riva9999

Post by Riva9999 »

Or from a very hungry solder.... thanks all!
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Excited to see some pictures when you can get up and running. I love these kinds of projects... see the beauty under the rough. I hope they sold it to you for cheap! Is there an SA in a box stamp anywhere on the barrel shank?
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
slcampbell

Post by slcampbell »

I would never replace that bolt it has some real history.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You can replace the bolt if it is unuseable. Just keep it and if you sell the rifle the buyer will get a useable bolt and the original.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:That is not a pit, that is an impact crater, you can see the raised edges around it were metal was mushroomed out of shape. Likely battle damage of some sort.
Schrapnel or a bullet would have caused that. The part that impaired function has been filed off. Watch your knuckles if your firing the 5 shot 5 second drill.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"