St. Albans, WV Gun Show report

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
zeebill

St. Albans, WV Gun Show report

Post by zeebill »

We went and set up and barely made ends meet. Promoter made many promises and then scheduled on the Sportsman show weekend next store in Charleston arena. About a couple of miles away and a much bigger draw than his poorly advertised gun show. Traffic was light for us all weekend as we were the basic next booth over from the bathrooms. Nothing else was in our aisle and we actually spread out on a table that wasn't ours to try and make the aisle worth coming down.

We had a couple of other collectors with milsurps in the middle aisle coming in the place and they had a Westinghouse M91 for $450. a Romanian M44 for $300, an M27 which the price escapes me on, and a couple of 91/30's in the $265 range. A couple of other tables had refurbs in the $300 range and there were the usual AR's and Ak's around too. One Cetme at $680 with about 8 mags and brand new looking to me and it was long gone by the end of the three day show. Many dealers packed up and left Saturday as there was little traffic and it was surely because of the Sportsman show being the place anyone was going. They made a mistake leaving as Sunday was the only day we saw a little traffic and also the only day we sold anything too.

The Promoter promised a show set up which was better than we got and no non-gun related stuff. He lied and we got shuffled way in the back and others who were first timers were up front. Asked to talk to him and he never came back so I guess we will like as not never go back and set up there again as a result. He had bragged to many my shows the biggest in the state but the way he works I doubt it will be long in existence. Time will tell I guess. The people we dealt with that worked at the show were nice as pie and easy to deal with but the basic organization is totally lacking especially the scheduling. We saw a few people we knew from other shows and enjoyed talking with them but they were not impressed either. His next show is also scheduled against Morgantown I believe and you know where we will be heading.

Shame as its not a bad facility only lacking parking maybe for big crowds but then when word spreads I doubt he will have that problem. It's 115 miles door to door and there is good food and lodging in the area but he has to do a better more organized set up and show to get people coming in and coming back too. I still am selling ammo till what I have is gone which once people decided to bite the bullet and pay $170 a spam can for 7.92x54r is about the best you can find. Some milsurps were at least there for those who wanted them but not much else that lasted long. Bill :wink:
Gunowner99

Re: St. Albans, WV Gun Show report

Post by Gunowner99 »

Man, I need to sell my ammo and guns at these prices!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Gunowner99 wrote:Man, I need to sell my ammo and guns at these prices!
Isn't that the truth at times! Problem is then if you want to replace what you sold it either isn't out there or costs more than you sold things for! Bill :D
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Oh, I wouldnt replace them shooting this particular weapon has become way more expensive that it was toted as. It's no longer cheap fun.
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Yeah, we get folks by our table that try to jew us down, had a guy who wanted to buy a bando of turk 8mm that was bills we have it priced at $32 for 70rnds. He offered $25. I mean folks think we just crap this old ammo out. It would be different if I could just go online and order it, but you can't this ammo we have is stuff Bill and I have had for years, and once we sell it, it is gone we can't replace it, there is no more.

I guess we could play hoarders and just keep it all, but think of the new toys we can buy if we sell some of it!
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Stop complaining, it's your job to sell for as much as you can realize from a product and it's the buyers job to get it off you for the least amount possible. Just business, not personal, not unless the buyer knows you, then they are just busting your balls. Man, I know some Jews who would cut you a new one for that remark, I guess it sounds negative, like black folks with the N word. You think your customers are bad? Try mine on for size.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

zeebill, who was the promoter? I haven't branched out into going to any other gun shows in West Virginia other than the Brushfork and Beckley shows. I've been to Summersville once, and it was about the same as the Beckley show to me. I keep thinking of going to the Flatwoods show, but haven't decided if it's worth the four hour or so round trip.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

RazorBurn wrote:zeebill, who was the promoter? I haven't branched out into going to any other gun shows in West Virginia other than the Brushfork and Beckley shows. I've been to Summersville once, and it was about the same as the Beckley show to me. I keep thinking of going to the Flatwoods show, but haven't decided if it's worth the four hour or so round trip.

It's firepower gunshows, they own the building and have their shows there, nowhere else. If you were thinking about going to flatwoods, don't. It is worse than summersville, which is bad. Only shows in WV, as sad as it sounds, that are decent are fairmont and morgantown.
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Stop complaining, it's your job to sell for as much as you can realize from a product and it's the buyers job to get it off you for the least amount possible. Just business, not personal, not unless the buyer knows you, then they are just busting your balls. Man, I know some Jews who would cut you a new one for that remark, I guess it sounds negative, like black folks with the N word. You think your customers are bad? Try mine on for size.

He sure as hell didn't buy it either. Wouldn't have been bad, but we had just told him the lowest was $30 a bando. I understand folks trying to get less, and we normally do knock some off of our tags, but when you state to a person the least you will go is $30 and he offers $25 it kinda rubs you the wrong way.

Kinda like all the mountain folk that come into some shows, look at a $500 rifle that is already priced very nicely, and maybe a bit under its true value, and offers you $150 for it :|
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Nice seeing Joe and Bill again and watching my wife work her way up and down the lanes. She likes to talk with every seller so I just walk back and forth until she catches up. Joe and Bill were so far back I'd thought they missed the show. Nothing caught my eye this time but I'd not planned to buy anything anyway. If I had it would have been something from your table and I'd had you hold it until I came by the house.
My wife came home with a Indian rock/ hatchet of some sort. The guy was asking $30 for arrow heads so I don't even want to know what she paid for that item. I didn't see enough to go back next month again myself, our local small town show had more to offer and enjoy.