Good range day

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jimpierce7

Good range day

Post by jimpierce7 »

It was Cali cold out there!! 40 degrees if you will!! Thank God for hot barrels!! I took out what could be considered my least accurate guns? Only sort of.

I am pretty sure my over all shooting would be much better if I only brought one or two guns instead of four. As all four triggers are different. Oh well.

Old Red was flawless as usual. Typically shoots almost as good as my M39. It seems as though I learned today that these guns do shoot different as the barrels warm up. First 10 shots all went in the black but one. I jerked and it barely made the paper. lol Next ten all hit high.

Now, my other 91/30 hits to the left. And I am slowly, very slowly, bringing it to the right on center. I want so bad not to go too far, again, I don't move it much. It is going to be a good shooter.

My '41 VKT M91, of course, did real well!! I forget it is the one that shoots a bit high of my three.

M44 did real well for awhile but the last 10 were all over the place. Huh. Sort of. It too started low and went high. I don't have this issue in warm weather!
NLMosin

Re: Good range day

Post by NLMosin »

Sounds like a great day shooting. I wish I could get out more. I do the same thing you do. Bring a few mosins with me so they all get some range time. Some are better than others. I find my ''43 91/59 is an absolute tack driver...
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice Calif day Jim. It's supposed to be in the mid 40's here in Ohio next week. Wed. is my next day off and my last day at the club this year...I hope.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

NLMosin wrote:Sounds like a great day shooting. I wish I could get out more. I do the same thing you do. Bring a few mosins with me so they all get some range time. Some are better than others. I find my ''43 91/59 is an absolute tack driver...

I do regret letting go of my 91/59
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

It's only -4 F here. I wish we were somewhere else but at least the cold weather let up for a mild Christmas!
Gawd I hate the cold...
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

jimpierce7 wrote:
NLMosin wrote:Sounds like a great day shooting. I wish I could get out more. I do the same thing you do. Bring a few mosins with me so they all get some range time. Some are better than others. I find my ''43 91/59 is an absolute tack driver...

I do regret letting go of my 91/59
Mine shoots very well, after some adjusting and front post replacement. It makes the biggest fireball :big shock: of any Mosin I've got. Other people watching agree. Anybody else notice this about their's?
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
husker51

Post by husker51 »

Way to go Jim, you old die hard! I thought you guys were getting some rain out there from what I saw on the radar? Merry Christmas!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

husker51 wrote:Way to go Jim, you old die hard! I thought you guys were getting some rain out there from what I saw on the radar? Merry Christmas!
We did. Lots of rain. But I looked at the sky and yelled.......... STOP!!!! and it did. :shock: :D
entropy

Post by entropy »

So you must like the "cold" then, Jim? I remember Californians' idea of cold...... it got below 50, the puffy coats came out. That's still sweater weather to me. When it snowed at Ft. Ord, we were on the machine gun range. I had on my M-65 (minus liner) and was comfortable. All the Southern guys had their wool GI sweaters, liners, and long johns under their field jackets and were huddled in the target shack complaining about the cold and snow whenever they weren't on the line. :tongue:

If 50 has a - in front of it, not THAT'S cold. :shock:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Well, I do recall living in Wyoming one winter as a young man. I was a swamper for a trucking company that relocated oil rigs. I learned real cold that winter and it is still my reference point now 31 years later!! lol And I moved to Evanston Wyoming from San Diego California.
Rightwinger9

Post by Rightwinger9 »

Something about Mosin's, cold weather and snow for me. We have a lot of of snow on the ground at our outdoor private club range, and the daytime temps are around 20 f. I need to get out there with my 91/30 and pretend I am in World War II Russia. :biggrin: I better hurry because the highs next week are supposed to be in the high single digit to low teens. 8-)