Cost of ammunition

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
miner49r

Cost of ammunition

Post by miner49r »

I got some Chinese ammo for my SKS today. $349 for 1500 rounds of 1985 vintage in spam cans. 23.25 cents a round equates to a lot of lead headed down range!

On the other hand I got hosed on 7.62X54R @ $17 for a box of 20. I have to go down south to get a better deal in the big city...

Anyone know of a deal on bulk 7.62X54? Obviously it has to be in Canada.
Sonny

Re: Cost of ammunition

Post by Sonny »

miner49r wrote:I got some Chinese ammo for my SKS today. $349 for 1500 rounds of 1985 vintage in spam cans. 23.25 cents a round equates to a lot of lead headed down range!

On the other hand I got hosed on 7.62X54R @ $17 for a box of 20. I have to go down south to get a better deal in the big city...

Leduc Canadian Tire had a few crates (880 rds) of Russian 7.62 x 54r for just over $300 a few weeks ago.

I bought a 1000 rds of Norinco from CanadaAmmo but my SVT 40 likes the Russian stuff better.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I don't know about that new avatar, Sonny.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

millman wrote:I don't know about that new avatar, Sonny.
Yeah think I'll look for another.. lol :lol:
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

I got my stuff at crappy tire as well. There was a couple of choices on the bulk SKS ammunition, both within cents per round. Ammo for the Mosin is only sold by the box of 20 up here right now. Hopefully I can find some in Edmonton next trip down.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I'm always looking for bargains on ammo.If I come across any deals I'll let you know.
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

Thanks that would be great. I'm also on a quest for 325WSM if you happen to see a deal
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A tire store selling ammo....I asked about that idea last time I saw a friend of mine who manages the local Mavis tire. He eventually stopped laughing but somehow I get the impression it's not going to happen on this side of the border.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

Crappy Tire is Canada's answer to Wally World. They are don't sell much clothing but they have basically everything else (toilet paper to hockey skates) - plus a few tires!
I outfitted our new RV at Crappy Tire when we were evacuated for the forest fire in 2016. I had to go Walmart to buy food.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

I was looking and I got some surplus 7.62x54r this March at Sportsmans Guide for $180 for 880, those were the days!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Wiki-arms.........gives up to date prices on all ammo, stores, amount..etc. There is also a similar site on the fo sale/trade forum on here :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

miner49r wrote:I got some Chinese ammo for my SKS today. $349 for 1500 rounds of 1985 vintage in spam cans. 23.25 cents a round equates to a lot of lead headed down range!

It's on sale now..

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/80020/sur ... 500-rounds
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

There is something "fishy" about it.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

SA1911a1 wrote:
haha...Six pound Bull trout out of the Athabasca river. :thumbsup:
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

That's a nice fish - near the mountains so even better (won't taste like mud if you eat it). Bulls are a great fish to catch, I've caught a sum total of two in my life. They look so mean...
Thanks for the tip about the ammo. I just have to convince the wife to go down to the big city so I can spend even more money on guns and ammo!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

If the Chinese ammo is yellow box Norinco, maybe green also, it's bringing .65-75 cents on GB. Can't be imported here anymore :2cents:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

Took a trip to the big city and shopped til we dropped. We found 7.62x54r bulk ammo at P&D Enterprises. Sellier and Bellott 440 rounds for $189.
Looked at a 1942 Tula 91/30 at Crappy Tire. Bit of a strange one, S/N was 10 on all parts except the receiver which had 2 Cyrillic letters before the 10. Just a ton of cosmoline all over it. Didn't buy it. Is the S/N something unusual?

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Two digit serial numbers do have a cool factor but mean little else. Unlike US arsenals the Soviets didn't start serial numbers at 1 for the first rifle and then continue. They were mixed around so nobody could get a clear handle on the armory's monthly or yearly production by reading serial numbers off rifles found on the battlefield. Springfield Armory didn't give a shit who knew their production numbers because they were turning out huge numbers of rifles every month. They would have taken out a front page ad in the paper, " Hey Hitler, we made 300,000 rifles last month, how ya like them apples? "
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

steelbuttplate wrote:Wiki-arms.........gives up to date prices on all ammo, stores, amount..etc. There is also a similar site on the fo sale/trade forum on here :2cents:
You mean gun-deals.com? Unfortunately neither of these are going to do him much good because they list ammunition for sale with the USA and he's in Canada.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

SA1911a1 wrote:
The "Fishy" one is good. The one he put up before was kinda weird.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis