Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99 transitional rifle [Lots of photos]

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
lthilsdorf

Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99 transitional rifle [Lots of photos]

Post by lthilsdorf »

Found this at the Syracuse gun show today and thought it seemed like a neat variant. Just the other day I'd seen some photos of a similar rifle with features just like this one and decided I wanted to pick it up.

The rifle has a ground mum, but the bolt, safety, extractor, and bayonet lug match the serial number. Screws still seem to be staked minus a missing one on the bottom tang of the rifle. I'm not sure if it was removed or if it just never was installed. Stock has cartouches on the wrist, but I have no idea what they mean. I really like the earlier style stock and general transitional features mixed with the Substitute Standard rear sight and bolt.

From what I've read and what the gentleman who sold it to me explained, this series has alot of different variation to it. This one seems to be pretty early. The guy threw in a decent Type 30 bayonet too, so I though it seemed like a decent deal. Any thoughts on it? I'm in about $425, which I though was fair with the transitional features and matching parts.

A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
Cj556

Re: Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99 transitional rifle [Lots of photos]

Post by Cj556 »

Not as easy to find as Kokura or Nagoya rifles seems fair to me
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
Type99

Post by Type99 »

Nice rifle! This is an early Izawa "substitute" type 99. These are definitely less common guns and with the bayonet I think you did very well. The seller was correct there was a ton of minor variations in this small run of rifles (highest known is 21432) all maintained the full length stock and handguard. The guard screw is definitely missing and should be there. If looking for screws try to find on with the nagoya arsenal "lj" stamped on the shaft to be correct and possibly better fit. It also looks to be missing the recoil lug, which it also definitely had at one point. It also MAY be missing a blank nose cap or a wooden plug for the cleaning rod hole but these are impossible/tough to find and honestly few if any would notice. Izawa usually did one or the other at different points before they ran out of drilled stocks. Izawas 9th series is certainly an interesting study.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
lthilsdorf

Post by lthilsdorf »

Thanks for the further info! There actually is a wood plug blocking the cleaning rod channel. I looked up a few other examples and none seem to have a wooden rod blocking the actual cleaning rod channel itself, but I'm no expert by any means.

I'll have to pick up both missing parts. Can't seem to find that dang screw though, and there's different sized ones so I don't want to pick up the wrong one, haha!
A Comprehensive Guide to the Spanish Civil War Mosin Nagant

Feel free to message me to contribute to my site!
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Try this guy. I've dealt with him in the past and he's been solid. Knows his stuff too.

http://japanesemilitaryfirearmsparts.com/main.sc
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)