The P14 - where it all began

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
MeatMarket

The P14 - where it all began

Post by MeatMarket »

The first milsurp rifle I ever saw was the first rifle I ever owned, and was a gift. One day when I was at my Papa's house (papa means granddad here) at the age of 14 he said to me, "here I want to show you something" and presented me with this rifle. I was fascinated by it and he gave it to me right then. It was no special occasion, it was "just because". He knew it was a WWI era British rifle but didn't know much else about it.

We took it outside and I fired a couple rounds into the woods. The sound was ferocious and terrible images of trench warfare chaos came up in the back of my mind. It was one of those moments that imprints itself in your memory. We talked about its possible history and I felt a reverence for the rifle.

I later zeroed the rifle and took my first 3 deer with it (and missed a 4th). In a Cyprus swamp, a hardwood grove by a creek, over a cotton field, in a pine wood; I remember the feel, the sound, the smell, and the view of every shot I took with that rifle.

When I first received it, it unfortunately had a run of the mill bushnell scope drilled and mounted into the receiver and the rear sight was long gone. Several years later when I discovered eBay I found a replacement rear sight which shipped over from the UK. I also got a correct sling for it. With the front sight peened in place a century before, allowing no adjustment, I was elated to find that the rifle was able to maintain a tight group just three inches high and an inch to the right at 100 yards. I also started hand loading just for this rifle.

The receipt of this rifle sparked an interest in other milsurps during the years since then. But nothing else holds such a special meaning to me like this one because it was from my Papa. He used to be a robust outdoors man. He taught me to skin a rabbit and gut a fish, took me on my first solo hunts, took me fishing, took me with him to run his beaver trapline and showed me the great oak covered in beaver tails deep in the Savannah River swamp. It saddens me to see him barely able to stand anymore, wracked by Parkinson's and COPD, but he never complains. We were watching my son play on the floor and I asked him if he'd go back to his days of innocent youth if he could. He said, "never and for nothing in the world because I'm so close to home now and wouldn't put it off any longer". Looking forward to the day he sees Jesus, he waits for his appointed time.

Anyhow, I ramble on, here are some recent pics of the rifle. I don't think I've ever shown this rifle here before. It's not particularly unique, but it is very special to me.

I believe in the right to arm bears.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: The P14 - where it all began

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Now you understand why the British liked this rifle for sniper use, They did have a reputation for accuracy. Nice rifle, sounds like a good man your grandpa, honor him by passing the skills he taught you on to your own kids and grandkids along with that rifle, keep what passes for the shit society we have now from turning them into a wuss.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Great gift. And looks to have had some tender loving care over the years, as well.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
SSGTSemperFi

Post by SSGTSemperFi »

Absolutely beautiful work of art you've got yourself there!!
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

:thumbsup: Nice Pattern 14
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

:thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool:
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: