Show us your oldest firearm you own (not just Mosins!!)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
capt14k

Re: Show us your oldest firearm you own (not just Mosins!!)

Post by capt14k »

I think you win Martin08. The rounded end is where the handle goes correct? Then the square end has eight short straight tubes that you pack your gunpowder and wad in and drop your projectile into. Then on the sides you insert your wick? The curved tubes are just for decoration and attaching the square end to the round handle end? As each wick burns a projectile is fired so you can shoot one at a time or all at once? Did I get that correct? That is a neat device.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
martin08

Post by martin08 »

capt14k wrote:I think you win Martin08. The rounded end is where the handle goes correct? Then the square end has eight short straight tubes that you pack your gunpowder and wad in and drop your projectile into. Then on the sides you insert your wick? The curved tubes are just for decoration and attaching the square end to the round handle end? As each wick burns a projectile is fired so you can shoot one at a time or all at once? Did I get that correct? That is a neat device.

You have the general idea. The earliest versions of the gonne surfaced in the 13th century, making their way from China to Europe in just a few years. Steel suits of armor followed shortly thereafter.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
gurn

Post by gurn »

This was found in the Egyption tomb of Bling Tut :brows:
IMG_20160702_193319.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Like RudyN, that would be my (Nepali horde) 1878 Martini Henry Mark II . . .

Unless you count the superb restoration of a Nepali Brown Bess by Matt Murphey of San Antonio.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

martin08 wrote:
capt14k wrote:I think you win Martin08. The rounded end is where the handle goes correct? Then the square end has eight short straight tubes that you pack your gunpowder and wad in and drop your projectile into. Then on the sides you insert your wick? The curved tubes are just for decoration and attaching the square end to the round handle end? As each wick burns a projectile is fired so you can shoot one at a time or all at once? Did I get that correct? That is a neat device.

You have the general idea. The earliest versions of the gonne surfaced in the 13th century, making their way from China to Europe in just a few years. Steel suits of armor followed shortly thereafter.
This is not mine but it belongs to the owner of the gun shop I work at. This only has three barrels and the firing system has been up dated many years ago. No fuzes on this one, it has been converted to take black powder caps. When loaded and ready all you need to do is strike one of the caps on anything solid to ignite the the powder in the barrel of your choice. This one is missing the stock also, (A round pole of the length of your choice.). The barrels on this one are much larger, about 1 1/4", so you can drop in much larger projectiles of your choice.
Chinese handgun 002.jpg
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

martin08 wrote:Late 15th to early 17th century China used the particular style of gonne (hand cannon). It could be utilized by an individual or in tandem. It's well aged piece of cast iron, and missing its handle. The pole could be braced against the ground or another solid object, or held underarm to absorb recoil. This one could be equipped with eight loads of powder, rocks, ceramic, lead or iron shot. It has eight fuse holes, and could be ignited with flame, coals or slow burning match.

Who are you trying to fool? That is a fuel manifold for a ford straight-eight.; but good try! ;mywink;

A backfire and the shooter would become won ton soup.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

martin08 wrote:

This is not mine but it belongs to the owner of the gun shop I work at. This only has three barrels and the firing system has been up dated many years ago. No fuzes on this one, it has been converted to take black powder caps. When loaded and ready all you need to do is strike one of the caps on anything solid to ignite the the powder in the barrel of your choice. This one is missing the stock also, (A round pole of the length of your choice.). The barrels on this one are much larger, about 1 1/4", so you can drop in much larger projectiles of your choice.
Chinese handgun 002.jpg
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
martin08

Post by martin08 »

That gonne looks like a typical European design from the 15-16th Century era. It was retrofitted with the cap nipples.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
King Johhny

Post by King Johhny »

No.1 Mk.3 SMLE
1918 Enfield manufacture
Nice guns everyone!
M91/30 1940 Izhevsk
Oct 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Czech post war K98k
Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99
SMLE No.1 Mk.III 1918 "peddled scheme"
DMH

Post by DMH »

Wow what a great thread! Keep 'em coming! I'll try and send some pics when I get home.
Grinder

Post by Grinder »

1904 Colt SAA 32cal. RCMP still trying to take it away because of calibre. They wont get it. Have the pedigree from Colt was bought by my great uncle in a hardware store in Manitoba. When someone bought land in Sask my uncle was the one to take you to your plot. If there were squaters they were moved on. ImageImage
DMH

Post by DMH »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Very nice DMH :thumbsup: I'm guessing French, now I have to go spend 3 min of my precious time on google. :lol:
Good condition for it's age, appears it still could shoot.
Cj556

Post by Cj556 »

My current oldest an 1886 MKIV Martini Henry C Pattern from IMA. Photo is pre cleanup/restoration.
"Vertroue in God en die Mauser"
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

You guys have some really great old guns. Mine doesn't really compare, but here it is. It an early 1900's Flobert Fallinblo .22 rifle that was popular with wealthy people that shot them indoors after dinner. Mine looked like it came out of the river bottom when I got it. So, I attempted to refinish it to be a wall hanger. Thanks for looking.
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

My oldest is a French Mle 1873 service revolver made at St Etienne in 1876. Just got a "Lee Loader" type gizmo for this one from H&C Collections in France, from my experience shooting it with ammo I got from Gad Custom Cartridges, I believe it will do quite well once I find the right load.

Second oldest is my 1887 dated Mk IV Martini that I got from IMA...finally got it cleaned up and reassembled.

Third oldest is my Mle 1892 'Lebel' revolver, built in 1898. it's a bit rough but should be a decent shooter.

cctc2006

Post by cctc2006 »

Colt Model 1903 Type I... Ser# dates it to a 1905...
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

More info here ..........http://www.thedolk.com/Snaphaunce/index.html

Snaphaunce Lock Fowler

Made approx 1620 to 1650 in Spain. Was used by military, but more as a "scare factor" back in those days. Lots of noise and smoke!

Snaphaunce lock was the Grandfather to the flintlock. A very complicated lock to make and lost favor for the more simple Dog lock and Flintlock. Around the time of the Wheel lock wich was another lock that was built primarily for the upper tier. The Snaphaunce was for the middle to lower tier. but still a rare lock to find.

Barrel is made in three sections which are forged welded together to make on long barrel. You can actually see the "kinks where they are welded together.

Just in front of the tang on the barrel is this
"Crown" and letters. Some of the gold is still left on it.
M O L A S or "MOLAS" Was a Spanish gunsmith operating in that time period.

SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

This is not my oldest, but perhaps my coolest old gun. The Italian Bodeo revolver was made between 1889 and the end of WWII as a military sidearm.

I did a lot of research when I found this and came up with a serious collector in Eastern Europe. He has an extensive data base on these and the previous low serial number known to exist was A1432. This revolver is A87, made in '89; the 87th gun off the production line. When I bought it, I thought I had overpaid for an unusual revolver. I really don't have a feel for the value of this piece, but I wouldn't take three times what I paid for it.

This revolver is all matching and has no import markings. the It could have come to the States as a war trophy from WWI or WWII.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

martin08 wrote:Late 15th to early 17th century China used the particular style of gonne (hand cannon). It could be utilized by an individual or in tandem. It's well aged piece of cast iron, and missing its handle. The pole could be braced against the ground or another solid object, or held underarm to absorb recoil. This one could be equipped with eight loads of powder, rocks, ceramic, lead or iron shot. It has eight fuse holes, and could be ignited with flame, coals or slow burning match.

Hey, not so fast!!!!

Two can play at this game!!!!

My new toy .......Martin08, look familiar to you????

Mine might be a "darrenger" compared to yours!

Dolk