Wartime Special

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
The Feral Machinist

Wartime Special

Post by The Feral Machinist »

Hello all.

I found an odd ball refurb in my recent travels. I was reluctant to buy it, since the prices on these are so high, but I couldn't pass up such a weird 91/30.

Anyways, the rifle is made in 1942 with NO ARSENAL marks. One would assume it's a standard wartime Izhevsk, but no evidence presents itself. With further investigation, the tang has no stamping on the underside. However, the top side has three odd stamps. The serial number is also a bit odd; it is purely numerical. Weren't the Soviets using alphabetical prefix at this time. Also,the font looks slightly different. The rifle has all matching numbers,along with bayonet. It appears the metal was lightly refurbished.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Last edited by The Feral Machinist on Sat May 07, 2016 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR!
SA1911a1

Re: Wartime Special

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is interesting. Congrats!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

There is info in the new book about the circle Д mark.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Brdm2

Post by Brdm2 »

What medals are those? Significance?
Brdm2

Post by Brdm2 »

What medals are those? Significance?
Earl Burlin

Post by Earl Burlin »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:There is info in the new book about the circle Д mark.
The new book huh?
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

There is one just like this pictured in Alex's new book. I'm not home to look it up though.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

interesting,please post the info from the book.
It's not scrubbed.
:vconfused:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Maine 20th

Post by Maine 20th »

In 1942 the enemy was at the gates. Worst time in great patriotic war. The hitlerites forced back plants. Look at receiver and barrel, low shoulders and rough work under stock? Stamps were lost and priority was to get weapon into hands of soldiers. Does it fire? I have 1942 91/30 that is good shooter but very rough in workmanship.
King Johhny

Post by King Johhny »

Interesting rifle! Are the medals legit or repro? Thanks
M91/30 1940 Izhevsk
Oct 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Czech post war K98k
Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99
SMLE No.1 Mk.III 1918 "peddled scheme"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

When it comes to wartime Izhevsk Mosins I have seen every combination from no markings to a full double set of clear markings and every shade in between. They had some things going on at the time that made stamping markings a lower priority than it might have been had the neighbors not been raising a ruckus.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
The Feral Machinist

Post by The Feral Machinist »

The medals are original. They just look nice with the rifle.

I have not shot it nor will I. I have designated shooters:) It will probably fire fine.

Ok I'm in the dark, what new book are you guys referring to?
I love JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR!
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

The Feral Machinist wrote:The medals are original. They just look nice with the rifle.

I have not shot it nor will I. I have designated shooters:) It will probably fire fine.

Ok I'm in the dark, what new book are you guys referring to?
This one. Great book. Highly recommended.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... =5&t=26951
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Maine 20th wrote:In 1942 the enemy was at the gates. Worst time in great patriotic war. The hitlerites forced back plants. Look at receiver and barrel, low shoulders and rough work under stock? Stamps were lost and priority was to get weapon into hands of soldiers. Does it fire? I have 1942 91/30 that is good shooter but very rough in workmanship.
:pointup:

A perfect example of a war-expedient rifle. Very nice! :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Brdm2

Post by Brdm2 »

I have two 1942s and a 43 which have horrid machining. One is still in Cosmo, gonna leave it that way.
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

That's a neat one. The machining marks indicate that it's never been scrubbed.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

MarksmanTim wrote:That's a neat one. The machining marks indicate that it's never been scrubbed.
Only question I have is, where are the "proof marks" on the barrel shank? The proof marks have to be on the rifle before being issued and they are there. I see them "under" the machining marks and very light. Would that indicate that the machining marks were put on "after the rifle was marked up"? If so, when was the machining marks put on?

Sure is a interesting rifle (One more to add to the pile of unanswered questions!!). I would have bought it also. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Dolk
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

dolk wrote:
MarksmanTim wrote:That's a neat one. The machining marks indicate that it's never been scrubbed.
Only question I have is, where are the "proof marks" on the barrel shank? The proof marks have to be on the rifle before being issued and they are there. I see them "under" the machining marks and very light. Would that indicate that the machining marks were put on "after the rifle was marked up"? If so, when was the machining marks put on?

Sure is a interesting rifle (One more to add to the pile of unanswered questions!!). I would have bought it also. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Dolk
Yeah I have seen a few like this one and had the same questions. I also kind of think and wonder out of my head are these more or less modern done refurbs because of their total disrespect for the proof marks? Needless to say I have absolutely nothing to base this on just a wild thought coming I guess basically out of my total dislike and distrust for Molots and such coming out a few years back. Years ago when the first of the refurbs was eyeballed by me they had a great deal of respects for these proofs and today the ones done recently just do not. Draw what ever conclusions you want out of that I guess? As we often say here just my 2 cents! Bill :wink:
Ratnik

Post by Ratnik »

Interesting rifle. As it was mentioned, similar rifles are described in my book at pages 15-16.
Now facts
1) We have 1941-1942 rifles that are marked atypical (without letter prefix). Majority of them have D in circle\oval marking, which is "tolerance" marking, it mean that part shows deviations from established sizes, but was allowed for use. In majority of cases it is observed together with B and P in oval\circle markings, their meaning is unknown.
2) 1941 factory documents mention so called "allowed" rifle, that were issued with lowered requirments than regular rifles.
It's seems logical to unite fact #1 and #2. But I was not able to find document how these "allowed" rifles were marked, so I can't tell for sure

Now to discussed rifle. Barrel is marked with Izhevsk period correct font. Year was not rolled as usual during production of the barrel, it was stamped manually with serial number. Does it have Y or П in oval markings? Can you post more pictures of proofmarks at the right and the left sides of the barrel?
target

Post by target »

dolk wrote:

Dolk

I've a feeling the proof marks were just struck so lightly that they didn't make it past the ridges left by the cutter. Probably just stamping as quickly as he/she could in order to get the gun out the door and into the hands of the guys that were trained to save their butts.