What happens when you use a tree as a target stand?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Mike

What happens when you use a tree as a target stand?

Post by Mike »

Then shoot it with an AK and a couple of Mosins.

It falls over then you have a nice long target stand and firewood for the winter. :chuckles:

It was one of my shots with my T53 that was the final straw that made it go. :D
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
B24

Re: What happens when you use a tree as a target stand?

Post by B24 »

Better watch posting pics like this, the tree huggers might come after you. A strong wind broke the top out of a
large pine tree beside my Mother-inlaw's driveway and instead of falling to the ground it hung on another limb.
Not seeing a safe way to get it down I relied on my 28 Tula and 20 rounds of surplus to put it on the ground.
Earl Burlin

Post by Earl Burlin »

B24 wrote:Better watch posting pics like this, the tree huggers might come after you. A strong wind broke the top out of a
large pine tree beside my Mother-inlaw's driveway and instead of falling to the ground it hung on another limb.
Not seeing a safe way to get it down I relied on my 28 Tula and 20 rounds of surplus to put it on the ground.
That sounds reckless. Were you really shooting 7.62x54mmR ammo up into the air??
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Chain saw broke?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

I think you are going to need a bigger tree for a target stand :D
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I remember 10 years ago we had a competition to see who could shoot down a large tree. Winner would receive a case of beer from each of the losing participants. I remember I was using one of my Mosins, ran 5 fast rounds & went to reach back for another stripper clip. I heard one quick shot & heard dedcat yell "There it goes! I got it!!!" :angry4:

After I gave him the case of beer, he cracks one open, smiles & tells me how it started to move after I shot my last round & he just slammed one round in his Polish M44 & fired it in the dirt. :facepalm2:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Rongo wrote:I remember 10 years ago we had a competition to see who could shoot down a large tree. Winner would receive a case of beer from each of the losing participants. I remember I was using one of my Mosins, ran 5 fast rounds & went to reach back for another stripper clip. I heard one quick shot & heard dedcat yell "There it goes! I got it!!!" :angry4:

After I gave him the case of beer, he cracks one open, smiles & tells me how it started to move after I shot my last round & he just slammed one round in his Polish M44 & fired it in the dirt. :facepalm2:
:chuckles: :thumbsup:
gopedxr7

Post by gopedxr7 »

too bad you do not have a video. that would have been awesome!
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

That poor tree! you should ashamed. Love your planet :furious: Seriously, after many trials I use two Bamboo stakes and slide a thin flat cardboard box down over them. Even if you shoot your stake, they stay strong enough to use after several hits.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
entropy

Post by entropy »

Well, the one we shot (Rongo, Dedcat, and I) was long dead. Looks like Mike's was, too. I use a plastic sawhorse at the sandpit sometimes.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Mike

Post by Mike »

The tree was coming down anyway for winter firewood, we just made it more fun.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53