New purchases M91 Sestroryetsk & 1925 Tula(possible ex dragoon)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Shelbygt500

New purchases M91 Sestroryetsk & 1925 Tula(possible ex dragoon)

Post by Shelbygt500 »

Hey guys I purchased two new guns at the gun show today. This one table had tons to choose from it was so Hard. I believe these were the best I could afford.
So I got a 1916 Sestroryetsk M91. Bolt doesn't match but everything else does. I've been wanting one of these. Paid 350 for it.
The other is a 1925 91/30 . So I don't know much about the early ones. Is it made at Tula or the foremost ordinance factory or are they saying foremost ordinance factory at Tula? And I've seen a lot about dragoons and such how do you tell if it was updated to a 91/30?
I got this one for 210. Both bores look really good and both are in great shape. Everything matches on this including the bayonet which is a first for me. The 91/30 has a ridiculous amount of cosmoline on the stock. I don't think I got a good deal but hopefully didn't get ripped off. What do you all think.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redspoon

Re: New purchases M91 Sestroryetsk & 1925 Tula(possible ex dragoon)

Post by redspoon »

Nowadays $210 is pretty good for an ex-dragoon refurbed 91/30. It will have the later 91/30 rear sight, and most will have the gap between the sight and barrel.
IMG_1501.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
locomotiveguy

Post by locomotiveguy »

What does the hammer mark on the hex of the 1925 indicate? I have that mark on my Fin 39. Is that the mark the Fins usually ground off?
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

I believe the fins ground off the imperial eagle and I'm pretty sure the mark on mine is the Tula hammer.

Looks like mine has the gap.
locomotiveguy wrote:What does the hammer mark on the hex of the 1925 indicate? I have that mark on my Fin 39. Is that the mark the Fins usually ground off?
husker51

Post by husker51 »

The mark on the hex receiver on the dragoon is a tula hammer I believe was used from about 1919 to 1923.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

You guys know anything about Bulkan M91s? I'm reading that C on mine means it was in Serbia.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You did good on two nice rifles.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

Thank you long colt..

The stock also has the pine cone cartouche So I'm thinking it is a Balkan import.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Two pretty good purchases. The '25 Tulas are getting like hens teeth to find any more. Nice Serbian Sestroryetsk too. You did good. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Shelbygt500 wrote:I believe the fins ground off the imperial eagle and I'm pretty sure the mark on mine is the Tula hammer.
I don't think so. I have 13 Finn marked Imperial M91s and none have the eagle mark scrubbed. I have two "scrubbed" M91s and neither are Finn marked.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Congrats on the two show pick ups. :thumbsup:
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

neal45 wrote:
Shelbygt500 wrote:I believe the fins ground off the imperial eagle and I'm pretty sure the mark on mine is the Tula hammer.
I don't think so. I have 13 Finn marked Imperial M91s and none have the eagle mark scrubbed. I have two "scrubbed" M91s and neither are Finn marked.
13..That's Awesome. Good to know though I thought they did that.
I was really stoked to get these two. Ones I've been wanting since I got into back into collecting. Didn't even twice the M91 was Serbian when I got it. I noticed the grind mark but didn't really think anything of it.. I've bought three Mosin's from this guy at the gun show. I'll have his whole collection soon enough..lol
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

So this is the stock on my ex dragoon I just got. Is that the cosmoline coming off or the shellac? Should I do anything with it or just leave it. I obviously don't want to do anything to hurt the value or anything just want your thoughts. Thanks guys..
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Looks like the shellac coming off. I have a some like that. Where the barrel bands slide over the handguard is a common spot for shellac to flake off. I just leave it alone, or JYD gets angry :shock: You don't want to get him angry.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Fledge wrote:Looks like the shellac coming off. I have a some like that. Where the barrel bands slide over the handguard is a common spot for shellac to flake off. I just leave it alone, or JYD gets angry :shock: You don't want to get him angry.
Age and the heat that builds up on the forend from firing. When the barrel heats up the wood the oils in the wood are forced to the surface and they take the shellac along for the ride. The way to avoid this is to shoot a string of ten, set the rifle aside to cool for 20 minutes and go shoot something else ( or for our older members, just go take a nap)
The flaking shellac helps make the rifle appear more issued looking as it looked in 1945 after the war ended.
[bbvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GsnIMERdfU[/bbvideo]
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

lol..I never thought of the cosmoline pulling the shellac as well from the heat. I'll take the issued look gives it nice character. Now if stupid Kansas only had ranges longer than 100 yards I'd could actually test these bad boys out..
Thanks for the input guys..