Judi's Gun Show Score, 3 No-Import Stamps & 1 Import M-1

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Judi and her Mosins

Judi's Gun Show Score, 3 No-Import Stamps & 1 Import M-1

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:

Well you guys know I have this power that is unleashed through a process that involves a lot of really hard to understand math and physics calculations, and possibly some magic...

Once again on the prowl, stalking, looking, not letting the prey know your hungry. decided to go off to a few Gun Shows this past weekend. Nothing much caught my eye, Laughable prices.

Then just when the day was going like my last date ( I'll get to that later). I strolled down the last aisle stopping, as the seller was barking a Pink Ruger. My eyes fell onto a 1944 Izhevsk 91/30 ... the sling looked well worn. I picked it up to inspect this 44' Izhevsk . I noted that it had correct war time stock, sling well aged, nice end caps on the top hand guard. I flip the gun around, looking for the stamp...nothing, I checked the barrel nothing. I set it off to the side near me.

I picked up the next gun a Mosin SCW. Easy call, rough sanded and lacquered stock, serial number in range, smoking bomb on stock, rear and front sight. I looked for a import mark, nothing. I also got a look at the cleaning rod, Wood and the type, texture of sanding, lacquered is the same, aged. This is a first SCW no--import stamp, wood cleaning rod. I set it off to the side with the other.

By this time the seller walked back near me. "Red, I have a really nice .380 Walter you might like".

I noticed a M-1 Carbine, looked like it been around Inland Div. I been buying a lot of other rifles keeping my collection well rounded. It had a "feel" to it. I looked very sternly at the seller "Price" I inquired ... The seller went off talking that he had some things to go with that. I set it next to the Mosins.

As I looked over the table, I notice a SKS, patina, /26\ arsenal 1967 date.....I turned it looking at the barrel and started the search for the import stamp, None. I set it next to the others.

The seller returned, looking sad as I no longer was looking at the M-1 carbine. In the box he had six 30rd. M-2 mags and a 15 rd. one, along with 800 rounds of .30 ammo.

I knew what I wanted. I pointed to the SKS and said, Looks beat to hell, missing a cleaning rod, mis-matched....quickly moving my hand I point to the Mosin's ...hell they been thru hell " Don't you ever clean these things" ...Before he could answer I bounced back to the M-1.....So, what is the price.

He sounded like a guy on TV...Errrr...ahhhhh...uhhhh...mmm. I was not in the mood to listen. Once again I said Price on the M-1....He told me he would give the mags and ammo with this, I asked the price of the SKS ...With the missing cleaning rod. After he mumbled the price of a cleaning rod and the booth down has one. I looked him in the eyes and with a seductively voice I could squeak out I ask the price for the Two Mosins.....

:whistle:
I countered every offer, and held firm with my first offer. Each time I found more "flaws" with the guns. I opened wallet to flash some cash, as he asked if I had a CCW. I showed him my work ID :big shock: .

We agreed to a sum of $1,000 for the whole package. :thumbsup: paper work, deal done home I go

Now, The SCW 1937 Izhevsk , heavy sanded, smoking bomb, lacquered, But anyone ever see a wood cleaning rod. This been in the rifle for a long time, I have to say, it came in that way. It matches that much. No Import Mark

Now, the 1944 Izhevsk , I like the sling, I have a two 1944 Izhevsk, so this is number 35 in the Mosin club. This one as all, has a lot of character. As I examined closer, No Import Mark

Now, SKS /26\ arsenal 11 million range, mismatched magazine, no serial number on stock, No Import Mark. Bring back who knows.

Now, The big question. I been doing a lot of checking on this M-1 Carbine. I discovered it was made in 1943 Inland (GM). Pot belly stock, Been up dated per the 1947 Army order in Europe. But what I could not find was marking and stamping that Were suppose to be there. But were not. Plus why a import stamp? The import stamp size is so small barley can read it ca st alba vi...all within a 1/4 " very light cast die.

Well more checking, This was left behind in Germany/Austria after WW2. This was given to the local defense, police, and forestry workers. I need to do more research. Anyone having knowledge of Bavaria M-1 Carbines. I found a wealth of information here http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/postwar.html you can read on the importing of M-1 and how it happened. Good information, reading on WW 2 Enjoy the site.

Last but most important, had a date with a guy, We all know him. The One Who Ran Out On Me at McDonalds. But he agreed to dinner at the diner down the road. ( He brags about that a lot) Well, I am waiting, waiting, waiting. Finally date shows. I cannot help but stare, my dreams of finding that under ground bunker, the treasure of JYD, The Boss. Can it be within my mitty little fingers, finally.

Some thing is wrong, his hair shines. I complimented him on his very shiny hair. With a smile that would melt a ammo box, He tells me, Bear Grease, Just a dab will do better then Brill Cream . :brows:

:ani-pop:

Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
Last edited by Judi and her Mosins on Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Brake Weight

Re: Judi's Gun Show Score, 3 No-Import Stamps & 1 Import M-

Post by Brake Weight »

Excellent score. I'll need you to do some of my bartering one day.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

Post by WWW »

Nice haul!

Keep practicing that smooth talking and maybe one day you will talk JYD out of his guns for what he paid.... :lol:
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Very cool SCW 91/30 you got there Judi, the MP8/Flaming bomb isn't encountered much on 91/30's
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You did very well. Am I the only one to notice the wood cleaning rod in the '37 SCW?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Judi and her Mosins

Miller Tyme wrote:Very cool SCW 91/30 you got there Judi, the MP8/Flaming bomb isn't encountered much on 91/30's

I need to take a better picture of the bomb, my picture does not give it the due as yours...

Also, no USSR or Made in Russian / USSR stamp on this one ? Ever see a wood cleaning rod ?
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Judi and her Mosins

Here are better pictures of the flaming bomb and the wood cleaning rod on the SCW...91/30 Also...No Made in USSR or Russia stamping on this .

Anyone ever see anything like this ....?
Dr. Seuss quote
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

wow, I swore I already posted to this thread. Hmm?

Any way, that looks like a really nice score!!
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Longcolt44 wrote:You did very well. Am I the only one to notice the wood cleaning rod in the '37 SCW?
No, and I have never seen one on any long arm post 18th Century until now (and those were ramrods, of course).

Quite a coup all the way around! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Last edited by djbuck1 on Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Judi and her Mosins wrote:Here are better pictures of the flaming bomb and the wood cleaning rod on the SCW...91/30 Also...No Made in USSR or Russia stamping on this .

Anyone ever see anything like this ....?
I have heard of the wood cleaning rod before but yours is the QST I have seen. Not every SCW rifle got the USSR/URRS stamp. I was told once this was the work of a single importer of them ( Sam Cummings) and was done for reasons other than import.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have only seen wood used for shotgun cleaning rods, I would have thought so thin a piece of wood would be prone to breakage when used as a cleaning rod mounted on a rifle. Ironwood might work, but I can't offhand think of another wood as strong or difficult to work.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Judi and her Mosins

Here are some pictures in the day light...........

and a picture of the flaming bomb....

Dr. Seuss quote
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

Does the rod show signs of use? And use in this rifle or similar length rifle?

What's the significance of the Flaming Bomb?
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Judi and her Mosins

Brake Weight wrote:Does the rod show signs of use? And use in this rifle or similar length rifle?

What's the significance of the Flaming Bomb?

Yes, the rod is weathered and worn. Seems the same length.

The flaming bomb, I am sure Miller Tyme can give a better perspective, or other members who have been collecting SCW .
Dr. Seuss quote
martin08

Post by martin08 »

You bought an M1 Carbine with a box o'goodies and have almost three other guns for free. I'd call it magic, too. :D

The wooden cleaning rod is a first for me on a Mosin Nagant. But it is not unfamiliar in the Japanese collecting world. Many of the expedient replacements were a simple stick of bamboo. Possibly not the best for cleaning, but it enabled the the guns to be stacked tri-pod style and at the ready when in camp.

Perhaps your gun was mated with a few others, stacked around the campfire in Spain. I can picture it, now.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

Stop Thief !!! :big shock: What a great grab. Congrats.
Jim

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

What I noticed first was that the color and wood grain matched so well.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

martin08 wrote:You bought an M1 Carbine with a box o'goodies and have almost three other guns for free. I'd call it magic, too. :D

The wooden cleaning rod is a first for me on a Mosin Nagant. But it is not unfamiliar in the Japanese collecting world. Many of the expedient replacements were a simple stick of bamboo. Possibly not the best for cleaning, but it enabled the the guns to be stacked tri-pod style and at the ready when in camp.

Perhaps your gun was mated with a few others, stacked around the campfire in Spain. I can picture it, now.
Seller must be into "Red" hair ;mywink; :chain: :chain: :chain:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Am I the only one who is wondering about the mystic powers of your voice? Did the dealer get all weak in the knees and his eyes glaze over? There has to be a reason for him giving away the farm here! [emoji7] [emoji180]
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

I'm thinking a seductive voice coupled with that mysterious work ID :big shock:
Great haul Judi..
:wave:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi