7.62x54r seems to be going up in price.

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 7.62x54r seems to be going up in price.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Welcome to the board, name me something that hasn't gone up in price, inflation, diminishing supply, this is surplus after all, the factory's cranking it out have mostly gone cold long ago. You are paying three times or more what I was paying 10 years ago for all surplus ammo. I used to pay 3.2 cents, or maybe it was 2.3 cents a round for Turk 8mm on the clip in 70 round cloth bandoleers back in 2003-2004 or earlier. .22 a round for .30-06 or 7.62x51mm, .8 -.10 a round for 7.62x54r. Every day after work it was to the range and blast off 70-120 rounds, six days a week, sometimes seven, I still have a 55 gallon drum full of fired brass, and that's just the berdan primed stuff. No more, get used to high prices if you didn't stockpile years ago.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

:lol: :pointup:

I guess that's true for me, too.

Glad I bought it cheap and stacked it deep back then. Wish I'd have done so even more. It was so cheap back then, I bought stuff for calibers I didn't even have. Bought '06 in en blocs, didn't have a Garand, bought 8mm Turk even cheaper than JYD did, didn't have any Mausers then. (I do now.) Every payday, I'd go down to Sportsman's Guide and buy 7.62x54R, at least the 200 round lots, which would just cover what I and my son were shooting up then, or the cases when they were in. If there was no 7.62x54R in, I'd buy whatever was cheap; 7.62x39, 8mm, '06, .303, 9mm. One time I got 0 Buck, 125 rounds in a .30 cal can, for $2.99 each.

As for the recent very rapid rise in price, there's still some variance in prices; bear in mind the brinksmanship between the heads of state of the two (former) superpowers, and recent outright bans of certain merchandise from the other one, you'll see why ammo sourced in certain coutries has gone up in price; the wholesalers don't know if they can get anymore.

I did find some cheaper that most others:

https://www.ammograb.com/762x54mmr/

Looks like J&G still has *decent* prices on bulk, and you get a .50 cal. can. If the stuff at SGammo is indeed M30j as it appears to be in their ad, that's not a bad price at all.

http://sgammo.com/product/762x54r-ammo/ ... -brass-cas

Alamo Ammo has a good price on 'russian' silvertip:

https://alamoammo.com/rifle-ammo/7.62x5 ... 25414720st @ $190 a tin.

Granted, these aren't the $99 a tin I saw a year or two ago, but compared to the $230-250 a tin they are running elsewhere, not so bad.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ultra wrote:All you've done with your post, JunkYardDog, is date yourself. ;-)

I'm quite familiar with inflation. However, we're talking about a 50% price hike. I'd like to know the underlying factors in the market driving such a large spike and was just inquiring if anyone here has any ideas.
I was talking about 10 years back, 2005, not 1985, of course the flood of commie ammo didn't start until a few years after the wall came down. Ammo, guns, and anything not nailed down unless they could pry it off the wall. From busts of Stalin to East German long underwear, we had it all coming in and cheap. Supply runs low, the numbers of people looking to shoot goes up. How many tens of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of Mosins have been sold in the US alone since 1995? We share the same supply with the rest of the world, they have been shooting it all up also. It's a sellers market and they know they can jack the price and it will still sell. For every one guy like me who is bitching about the cost hike there are ten more guys with their credit cards out waiting to buy. When the cost of surplus rounds becomes equal to new made commercial rounds then the price hike will level off until people realize that ammo that old is antique, and collectable, then the price will really shoot up.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

entropy wrote::lol: :pointup:

I guess that's true for me, too.

Glad I bought it cheap and stacked it deep back then. Wish I'd have done so even more. It was so cheap back then, I bought stuff for calibers I didn't even have. Bought '06 in en blocs, didn't have a Garand, bought 8mm Turk even cheaper than JYD did, didn't have any Mausers then. (I do now.) Every payday, I'd go down to Sportsman's Guide and buy 7.62x54R, at least the 200 round lots, which would just cover what I and my son were shooting up then, or the cases when they were in. If there was no 7.62x54R in, I'd buy whatever was cheap; 7.62x39, 8mm, '06, .303, 9mm. One time I got 0 Buck, 125 rounds in a .30 cal can, for $2.99 each.

As for the recent very rapid rise in price, there's still some variance in prices; bear in mind the brinksmanship between the heads of state of the two (former) superpowers, and recent outright bans of certain merchandise from the other one, you'll see why ammo sourced in certain coutries has gone up in price; the wholesalers don't know if they can get anymore.

I did find some cheaper that most others:

https://www.ammograb.com/762x54mmr/

Looks like J&G still has *decent* prices on bulk, and you get a .50 cal. can. If the stuff at SGammo is indeed M30j as it appears to be in their ad, that's not a bad price at all.

http://sgammo.com/product/762x54r-ammo/ ... -brass-cas

Alamo Ammo has a good price on 'russian' silvertip:

https://alamoammo.com/rifle-ammo/7.62x5 ... 25414720st @ $190 a tin.

Granted, these aren't the $99 a tin I saw a year or two ago, but compared to the $230-250 a tin they are running elsewhere, not so bad.
How much were you paying for the Turk? I was buying it by the 5000 round lots to get a better price, but even at whatever the full price was it was still cheaper than .22 LR was at the time.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

I bought a 960 round case someone had opened and returned to SG for $20. I bought several bandoleers with stripper-clipped Turk in it for $2 apiece; they have an 'ammo liquidation' table at the Liquidation Store, and back then deals like that were common. 20/960+2.1/round, 2/70=2.8/round .22LR was $1.49/50 (3 cents a round) Should have bought a lot more, but OTOH, I only have one 8mm Mauser now, sold the 24/47 to longcolt several years back.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Who is selling this ammo for twice the normal price? SOG still has 440 round tins for under a $100.00.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Longcolt44 wrote:Who is selling this ammo for twice the normal price? SOG still has 440 round tins for under a $100.00.
Yep and it's in the list here. http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/7.62x54R

Here's a quick look.

WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

To answer the original question, yes some has gone up and by more the double. The worst one I saw was a tin of Russian Silver Tip, which is no different than any of the other Russian stuff besides having silver paint in the tip of the bullet, is at $249/440rds. Now that's delivered mind you but ridiculous none the less and people are buying it. I'd say the trade moratorium or ban of certain Russian goods whatever you want to call it and Putin's army's presence in the eastern part of Ukraine where a lot of our surplus came out of along with the confiscation of Crimea plays a huge part in what's going on with this and a lot of other surplus items we usually see. That and depletion play a huge part. It may be quite a while before we see any reasonable supplies of surplus from that part of the world if at all.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Glad I'm not in the market for Surplus 7.62x54r. But at .22¢ per round it's still not a bad deal when you think about it.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Picking up two crates (880 each) on Wednesday in Edmonton..total price $400... :thumbsup:

That's a great deal up here.. :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

129.00 for a 440 Rd can plus shipping seems to be a common online price.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

$249 for a single 440 round spam can of commie surplus ammo? I would rather just pay a bit more for commercial new .30-06 rounds. Reload, or pay, there is no middle ground.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:$249 for a single 440 round spam can of commie surplus ammo? I would rather just pay a bit more for commercial new .30-06 rounds. Reload, or pay, there is no middle ground.
That's one of the worst I found so far. Liberty Tree as well J And C both have it for $135/440+Shipping and Southern Ohio Gun has it for a little more. That's the best anyone has right now. Man I'm so glad I bought a crap load when I was getting it for $60 a tin. Buy it cheap and stack it deep!
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Up in price. You bet. Demand. I bought plenty 7.62X54 R to go with my my inexpensive Chinese carbines . Cheap way to arm a harm guard militia. JGC
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello, Yes, I also was surprised the other day when I looked on the above site to check the price of some more 7.62x54R. Yet, I'm glad my surplus stack is still over five feet tall. Got enough for now....
But just like 22LR; it ain't getting any cheaper, but at least you can now find it..
As for the topic of this post; Buy it if you can..
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

OH, and Sonny you guys get some great deal up there in Canada... Make me wish I lived closer to the boundry line, I like a cruise though the woods....
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

boltaction wrote:OH, and Sonny you guys get some great deal up there in Canada... Make me wish I lived closer to the boundry line, I like a cruise though the woods....
It was a private sale in a parking lot.

I think the guy needed drinking money.. :P