More trailcam pics

MeatMarket

More trailcam pics

Post by MeatMarket »

I got better performance from my camera last week and it picked up a decent bit of activity. Here's a few pics it took. It saw my dog, a spike buck, a cowhorn that my neighbors grandson later killed on Saturday, a 4 point buck, 6 point buck, 7 point buck, an 8 point buck, several doe, and possibly a coyotes rear end.
I believe in the right to arm bears.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: More trailcam pics

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I saw one again this morning as I drove in to the shop , pea soup fog so you can imagine how close the bastard was for me to see it at all. I could have reached out my side window and touched it, it must have cleared my side mirror by an inch.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike

Post by Mike »

I was just selected to hunt deer in a managed hunt by the Missouri Department of Conservation, I need to put my camera out in the area I intend to hunt to see what is out there. :D
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What is that? Sounds like you just got a contract from the state to do a hit on Bambi :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike

Post by Mike »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:What is that? Sounds like you just got a contract from the state to do a hit on Bambi :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
That's exactly what it is, a lottery to hunt on land not open to the public, this year 20 people have been selected to hunt 4300 acres over a 10 day period that starts a week after regular hunting season ends. I was also selected three years ago and got myself a nice buck back then. :D
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have to ask, what is a cowhorn?
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

20 people on 4300 acres, I hope there is some sort of central coordination so nobody ends up shooting in the direction of another hunter. Or do you all pick time slots to be in there?
Theodore Roosevelt
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Longcolt44 wrote:I have to ask, what is a cowhorn?
That ugly thing in the 4th picture. I saw him in my scope a couple days after my trailcam captured him. I snapped a pic of him through my scope and posted in my other thread. I let him go when I saw him, but my neighbor's grandson hunting the other edge of the land (with permission) shot him about an hour later.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:20 people on 4300 acres, I hope there is some sort of central coordination so nobody ends up shooting in the direction of another hunter. Or do you all pick time slots to be in there?
No coordination. The hunt is shotgun, not rifle which helps, there have never been any accidents, people are just smart.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

A friend of mine was shot to death while clearing brush in the backyard of a rental house he had. Two "hunters" up from the city for a days deer hunt thought they saw a deer from the adjoining wood lot and one fired a shot. 12 gauge slug in the chest, he still hung on almost 12 minutes before he died in a troopers arms while they were waiting for the medics and the chopper. Long enough to leave a message for his wife, and little girl, he was conscious to the end. Nearly 4 hours standing there by the box at the wake listening to the child repeatedly ask her heavily sedated mother when daddy was going to get there. Never assume the other guy has brains, buck fever gets even experienced hunters sometimes, wear the orange, make sure the others know exactly were you will be set up, know were they are also. What happened here is a warning for everybody, you don't want to be either party in this sort of tragedy, the shooter tried to eat his shotgun when he saw what he had done, that got him a 72 hour observation hold.
Theodore Roosevelt
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

That's over 200 acres per person. Sounds like plenty of room to me.
Mike

Post by Mike »

MeatMarket wrote:That's over 200 acres per person. Sounds like plenty of room to me.
Yeah, and typically 25% of people won't even show up and the rest won't shoot every day, we all know bad shit can happen but so far there have not been any idiots selected.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Out here in the stand again. I just spotted that 4 point pictured above in the trail cam (#10). Here he is in my scope.
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Aaaand he just came backlit again with a little buddy. Another 4 point, smaller in body size.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

How are you going to take a shot if you are playing with the camera?
Theodore Roosevelt
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Ha. If those bigger ones show themselves, the only pics I'll have will be post-kill. I'd already decided to let these walk.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

When I came to dinner at your old house I believe you said it was your Fathers but on family land. Is the house you bought here still on family land? I really should have taken yo up on that back strap you offered to give me. You really do live in a beautiful area.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
MeatMarket

Post by MeatMarket »

Longcolt44 wrote:When I came to dinner at your old house I believe you said it was your Fathers but on family land. Is the house you bought here still on family land? I really should have taken yo up on that back strap you offered to give me. You really do live in a beautiful area.
No this place I bought is about 2 counties south of where I previously lived. Out in the boondocks. Way out. Very rural. So rural the deer outnumber the people in the whole county. I bought the place a bit over two years ago. Wooded acreage with an over a century year old house on it. It'll be an inheritance for my son in the future. Give me a holler if you're ever down this way again. I usually try to keep some venison in my freezer.