.45ACP question

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
billybob123

.45ACP question

Post by billybob123 »

I am considering purchasing a .45ACP and wanted the collective wisdom on what to buy as well as what is garbage out there on the market. Would ideally prefer one that holds more than 10 rounds. Currently I don't own a pistol but have shot several and am quite a decent shot with them, usually outshooting most people I shoot with. I do like the Springfield pistols but want to know what else is good out there.
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Re: .45ACP question

Post by websterz »

1911 style? Modern polymer? Which direction do you want to go? Polymer pistols will get you the highest capacity generally without going to an extended mag that hangs out like a donkey dick.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
billybob123

Post by billybob123 »

websterz wrote:1911 style? Modern polymer? Which direction do you want to go? Polymer pistols will get you the highest capacity generally without going to an extended mag that hangs out like a donkey dick.

While I do love the 1911 style, I do not like a donkey dick, so I guess we're going to look at a polymer handgun. If I recall para ord had a high capacity .45 a while back but I haven't looked at them in quite a while...
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

Sig 227 or HK45....Nothing else compares to these ...
Jim

SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Be happy with 8 +1 and buy a Rock Island 1911. I have shot three different ones recently and they worked better than the Para I was shooting along side them. They have got to be the best $400.00 gun on the market. ( I don't expect that pricing to hold as people figure it out.) I wish I needed a new 1911 so I would have an excuse to buy one.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I have a Springfield XD 45acp and a Springfield XDS 45acp. I love both of them. The XDS is low capacity but is a fantastic shooter and fits in my pocket.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
thughes

Post by thughes »

Sig 227 if you have the budget, Glock 30S if you want a nice shooting carry gun. I loves me some 1911's (Ruger SR1911 is one of the best for features vs price) but they don't meet your capacity requirements. You're going to get 100 different opinions, do you have a LGS with a range that will let you try a few different guns?
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Back in 2013 I wanted another 45 pistol, one that holds more than 8 rounds. I was looking for a Rock island HiCap 1911, but they were sold out almost everywhere. The one place that had one wouldn't sell to me because I was in Maryland. Our laws changed October 2013, and this was BEFORE that. I ended up buying a SAR K2 in .45. Basically a CZ97 clone with 14 +1 capacity. I was a bit worried because it was imported thru EAA and I heard horror stories about EAA, so I bought thru Davidson's and got a lifetime warranty. So far it has been exceptionally reliable and accurate. Even my gunsmith was impressed with it.
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

Checked Rock Islands website last week, they've got a 1911 with a double stack magazine.
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I agree with the suggestion to find a range that will rent you a few models to try first. There are some indoor ranges near me that do this. I am a big fan of Springfield Armory polymer pistols. I am a bigger fan of the 1911, and would trade a few less rounds just to have a nice 1911. They aren't for everyone though. Where the standard is often 7 rounds, that can be increased to 8 with a simple aftermarket mag change without the green donkey appendage hanging out. :P
entropy

Post by entropy »

As long as you don't plan on using handloads, I recommend a Glock 21SF. I had a 2nd Gen 21, and it was s great gun-it just wasn't 100% reliable with reloads. (I'm not even counting the 185 gr. LSWC my Dad loaded, those jam in almost everything.) I sold the G21, and bought my Rock Island 1911 back from Rongo. I've since upgraded to a Taurus PT1911AR, and I got a Taurus PT145 for a CCW gun. 10+1 rounds, small, (about the size of the Glock 30), has second strike ( if a round doesn't go off, just pull the trigger again without having to work the slide), and fires everything I've put through it, even the 185 LSWC. The Taurus 24/7 is an improvement on the PT145; the 4" holds 12+1, the compact (3.5") holds 10+1, both still have second strike, and both are ambidextrous, something I wish my PT145 was. I'd consider one of those if I were buying now.

Did I mention I like Taurus? :mrgreen:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

ffeng31 wrote:Sig 227 or HK45....Nothing else compares to these ...
:pointup: Sig gets my vote.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
entropy

Post by entropy »

If you're going Sig, get the 320. Modular, and striker fired.

http://www.sigevolution.com/p320

Looks like currently only the full size are shipping in .45 ACP, but Grip modules are on GunBroker, and I'm sure barrells and slides are out there somewhere.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

knucklebucket

Post by knucklebucket »

I have a para elite commander 1911 14.45, one in the chamber equal 15. I love it, shoots right as well.
1939 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
1944 Lee Enfield .303
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

S&W Model of 1955 Target Model!!!!!
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

SA1911a1 wrote:Be happy with 8 +1 and buy a Rock Island 1911. I have shot three different ones recently and they worked better than the Para I was shooting along side them. They have got to be the best $400.00 gun on the market. ( I don't expect that pricing to hold as people figure it out.) I wish I needed a new 1911 so I would have an excuse to buy one.
Can't go wrong there.... A fine pistol.

Also; If it's inevitable you will acquire a 45acp pistol soon, stock up on ammo now. Nothing wrong with getting 1,000 or more rounds before the gun.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
entropy

Post by entropy »

Ironnewt wrote:S&W Model of 1955 Target Model!!!!!
Doesn't meet his requirement of at least ten rounds. Only holds six. :wink:

Murphy was an optimist.

Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

entropy wrote:
Ironnewt wrote:S&W Model of 1955 Target Model!!!!!
"Doesn't meet his requirement of at least ten rounds. Only holds six. :wink:"

RELOAD! or do the New York Reload (Pull a second gun)

Hold a Full Moon Clip on the end of your off hand "pinkie finger. I got 8 hits on target before the guy shooting next to me who was using a serious High Dollar race gun. He should have invested in practice ammunition :D
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

ol scratch

Post by ol scratch »

I agree with the individuals who say to go to the range and shoot a few. Guns, to me, are like underwear. Everyone has their personal preference. In .45, I like 1911's. Unless you go with a double stack, you have to deal with the extended mag which will um, hang conspicuously from the bottom of the pistol as someone so eloquently described above. :chuckles: For me anyway, the ergonomics of the 1911 make up for the fewer rounds. You lose that if you go with a double stack 1911.

If you do decide to go with a 1911, I have had good luck with my Rock Island standard configuration. I own a Kimber Custom II as well and it has been a great piece after I switched to Wilson Combat Mags during the break in period. Since that time I can't remember the last stoppage I had in just north of 3000 rounds. That was while shooting cast lead and dirty Unique powder, so you can image how filthy the pistol gets. If I had it to do over again and it had been available at the time, I would have purchased a Springfield Range Officer. It has many of the match refinements without the Type 80 Schwartz safety.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I think it is a rough road to go down to select a defensive firearm on the basis of magazine capacity. It doesn't matter how many rounds you have readily available if you can't hit your target, and if you can't defend yourself with six or eight rounds, you are probably lost anyway. Now, if it is an offensive weapon, mag capacity and automatic function would serve well, but you still need to be able to put rounds on targets and that comes only with practice.

A defensive weapon needs to meet four critical criteria. 1) dependability 2) dependability 3) dependability 4) stopping power. Everything else is fluff.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum