Maybe buying a new gun soon?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Mike

Maybe buying a new gun soon?

Post by Mike »

I've been on a moratorium for over a year, we had to go to England to visit my sick brother at the beginning of this year, we have to go back for my parents 50th anniversary at the end of this year. AND we intend to move out of the city onto our retirement acreage next year so the gun funds have been going elsewhere.

However, the other half wants a new car, she's had this one for two years and she's over it. I said as long as the payments stay the same no problem, she can have what she wants, but I also get to buy by first gun in over a year! :chuckles:

Now I just have to figure out what I want. :biggrin:
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
BubbaDX

Re: Maybe buying a new gun soon?

Post by BubbaDX »

How far out from the city you moving Mike? I would love to have a piece of land in the country on a lake property somewhere. Maybe some day. As for new guns, watch the sale ads here on RMNF. There has been a lot of good stuff popping up for sale lately.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Mike

Post by Mike »

BubbaDX wrote:How far out from the city you moving Mike? I would love to have a piece of land in the country on a lake property somewhere. Maybe some day. As for new guns, watch the sale ads here on RMNF. There has been a lot of good stuff popping up for sale lately.
Not too far, we still have to commute to work, we're looking around 30 miles out, north and south, I would prefer north but we may get more land for our money to the south.

As for buying a gun, I may not pick anything in particular, I'll just keep watching things come up for sale until I find something I want, 1911, Finn, Sniper, AK - hmm - AK...... :)
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Your moving to the " country" Is that something called country but is really suburbia, or real country? If it's real country then there might be bears, get something in .300 Winchester Mag.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike

Post by Mike »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Your moving to the " country" Is that something called country but is really suburbia, or real country? If it's real country then there might be bears, get something in .300 Winchester Mag.
Real country. Fortunately we don't get too many bears around here, I would worry more about two legged predators, an AK would take care of them. :wink:
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

10-15 miles out of town?

Jim, I'm in the boondocks. Ain't no bears 'round these here parts!

Mike: just get me all, remember: if it all fits into one gun bag, it's one gun! That's why I use a giant bag when shopping!
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

.300 Winchester Mag works on two leg predators also, you can make their entire thoracic cavity turn inside out with one well placed round :twisted: This will likely have a detrimental effect on the moral of their companions.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

Or at LEAST evacuate a large grapefruit sized piece of hell, just from the crush factor. Hydrostatic shock might cut him in half!
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Been known to happen, .300 Mag is not the ideal small game caliber.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike

Post by Mike »

I still like the idea of an AK, I've been wanting one for years.... :D
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Do the AK. I wanted one and finally decided to add one to the family. I took my $350.00 to the gun shop only to find that overnight the AK had gone from $350.00 to $599.00. Obama had done something stupid and it panicked everybody. I still don't have one. I do have some nice Finns though.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I am on 2 acres on a hillside about 2 and 1/2 miles from anything I could want. I have bears, deer, rabbits. coyotes (more than I want), bobcats, and mountain lions signs. I am retired so I get to look around and see all the things I may have missed for years and I love it out here. Cheaper cost of living and a slower way of life on a more simple scale of doing things makes it ideal for me. I hope and pray everyone gets to this point in life but sometimes bad choices or luck just makes this not possible so I guess I would opt for just a slower and simpler life style to enjoy ones old age is the best it will get for many. The ways our country has turned led by the current government has made a lot of retirement's blessings impossible for many to archive. Older people are often just being treated as expendables any more because they are no longer actively contributing money to the tax system. It is a shame but regardless of how government tries to disguise it that is what is happening. Bill :o
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

I love buying guns! ;-)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Mike wrote:
BubbaDX wrote:How far out from the city you moving Mike? I would love to have a piece of land in the country on a lake property somewhere. Maybe some day. As for new guns, watch the sale ads here on RMNF. There has been a lot of good stuff popping up for sale lately.
Not too far, we still have to commute to work, we're looking around 30 miles out, north and south, I would prefer north but we may get more land for our money to the south.

As for buying a gun, I may not pick anything in particular, I'll just keep watching things come up for sale until I find something I want, 1911, Finn, Sniper, AK - hmm - AK...... :)
It sounds like a good plan. Prowl the pawn shops and see what pops up! Your other plan about moving is even better.

I will tell you this. Twenty five years ago I left first the city then the suburbs for a house in the woods. I am about 35 miles from where I work. At first the commute seemed rough, but it became routine after a short while. Moving was the best thing I ever did. My gun range is a short walk from my house. If I want to pee in the front yard it is fine. If I take a shot at a coyote from my back porch, no one gives a damn. I might get a notion to get naked and swing across the ravine from a wild grape vine and it ain't no one else's' business. Make it your first business to plant fruit trees; what ever grows where you are. Even if you are a silverback, you will get a lot of pleasure out of them quicker than you may think.

If it is possible, try to have only one way in and out and put an electric gate on that and don't give anyone the code. It will keep your friends honest, teach them to call before they come and keep the other riff-raff out. If you don't want company, no one knows whether you are home or not and you don't have to feel obligated to entertain.

If land is cheaper to the South, look South and buy more. The poorer the local government, the less they will expect form you, the less they will mess with you and usually the less they will tax you.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Mike

Post by Mike »

SA1911a1 wrote:
Mike wrote:

It sounds like a good plan. Prowl the pawn shops and see what pops up! Your other plan about moving is even better.

I will tell you this. Twenty five years ago I left first the city then the suburbs for a house in the woods. I am about 35 miles from where I work. At first the commute seemed rough, but it became routine after a short while. Moving was the best thing I ever did. My gun range is a short walk from my house. If I want to pee in the front yard it is fine. If I take a shot at a coyote from my back porch, no one gives a damn. I might get a notion to get naked and swing across the ravine from a wild grape vine and it ain't no one else's' business. Make it your first business to plant fruit trees; what ever grows where you are. Even if you are a silverback, you will get a lot of pleasure out of them quicker than you may think.

If it is possible, try to have only one way in and out and put an electric gate on that and don't give anyone the code. It will keep your friends honest, teach them to call before they come and keep the other riff-raff out. If you don't want company, no one knows whether you are home or not and you don't have to feel obligated to entertain.

If land is cheaper to the South, look South and buy more. The poorer the local government, the less they will expect form you, the less they will mess with you and usually the less they will tax you.
Awesome advice! Thank you! :D
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

If your wanting an AK, consider a type 56 SKS. or a Yugo 59/66. :thumbsup: They are more accurate, less expensive, you gonna be shooting mostly semi auto anyway, these are fine rifles, better that Norincos, you won't be disappointed.....SBP 66 MN's , 6 SKS's, Enfields, an M1A, a PPS 43, Blah blah blah
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Mike

Post by Mike »

Does anyone have any knowledge or opinions of the VEPR 7.62x54r?
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
entropy

Post by entropy »

steelbuttplate wrote:If your wanting an AK, consider a type 56 SKS. or a Yugo 59/66. :thumbsup: They are more accurate, less expensive, you gonna be shooting mostly semi auto anyway, these are fine rifles, better that Norincos, you won't be disappointed.....SBP 66 MN's , 6 SKS's, Enfields, an M1A, a PPS 43, Blah blah blah
With an SKS, you'll be shooting semi-auto all the time, unless you allow the firing pin to gum up or rust onto the bolt.........Then you will witness some SKS full auto 'fun'! :lol:

I liked my Yugo, but it was heavy, and the Norinco shot just as well.

I'll just agree with Greasemonkey now before he gets here and say: PSL or VZ2000.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Mike

Post by Mike »

Unfortunately the PSL is out of the budget range I'm looking it. I'm thinking about the VEPR in 7.62x54r because I have enough ammo to feed if for a while. I don't have anything in 7.62x39 so I'd be building that collection up from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53