Its certainly been a while

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
kamakazi339

Its certainly been a while

Post by kamakazi339 »

Hey guys and gals. Its certainly been a while since Ive been around here. Mostly self imposed due to the fact I havent had any money recently due to other obligations (Fiance's ring and paying off my winter vehicle). Being on here made me just a tad depressed. But i managed today to get a bargain. I got this M38 quite by accident actually it just happened to get posted on FB and I happened to jump first. Its funny I was gonna let it go until the guy sent me pics and I realized the hour drive required for it was economical no matter what I did. At 1/3 to 1/4 any price found on GB i jumped.

It is a 1943 Izhevsk with a lightly stamped crest and year but a heavily stamped serial. The overall milling is rough especially under the woodline and it was packed in cosmoline except on the surface. Shes sitting in a M44 stock late/post war. The stock has an interesting stamping in it as well a 10-2 mark. Probably just a proof but Ive never seen it before. She is dinged and scratched but that adds to the character. Thought id post it, not because its really all that rare but I missed yall and wanted to say hello. Lemme know what yall think!

ImageImage
Gsragtop

Re: Its certainly been a while

Post by Gsragtop »

Hey welcome back.. I know the feeling of not visiting because these guys are all bad influences. Lol, just kidding but I also was/am on a self imposed stop buy. However when a good deal finds you, you have to jump. Actually had to sell a rifle to buy a rifle last month but selling a Hungarian m44, to pick up a p-26 Finn seems like a good trade..lol

When you see them cheap you gotta buy them, and stack them deep.. If nothing else your making an investment in your own future.
JER

Post by JER »

Nice score. I regret not grabbing a M38 back when our local Big 5 had 'em on sale for less than $100.00 (10 years ago now). Haven't seen too many since with a reasonable price tag. I did manage to get a nice 91/59. Far less desirable, but still an interesting ( to me, anyway), carbine.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Looks exactly like the 1943 M38 I bought off MikeO back in the days of the old board, it's one of my favorite M38's, no 10-2 mark, just another of the many unknown markings. We do more than guns here, we bullshit about cars, our other hobbies, food, hunting, shooting, all sorts of stuff. Bad influence? US? Certainly not! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Nice find, and a good price, M38's are now unobtainium from the major sellers and very expensive from the small dealers. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Looks exactly like the 1943 M38 I bought off MikeO back in the days of the old board, it's one of my favorite M38's, no 10-2 mark, just another of the many unknown markings. We do more than guns here, we bullshit about cars, our other hobbies, food, hunting, shooting, all sorts of stuff. Bad influence? US? Certainly not! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Nice find, and a good price, M38's are now unobtainium from the major sellers and very expensive from the small dealers. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Nice M38 indeed

Like the stupid stuff our wives do. Ask for the ring back and become an old Bachelor like JYD. Stay married and end up wasting all manner of money on things like diapers, kids clothes that get destroyed after being worn once (if at all) replacing things that your kids "accidently" destroyed, their first car, etc. etc. so forth and so on
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

Lol its going to be a long time till i gotta worry about kids breaking things or even diapers for that matter. However my fiance has good taste which in essence means expensive taste..... 2 charms for a charm memory bracelet cost me more than this M38 and they are a million times smaller and infinitely more useless. ( not that a M38 is useless of course)

However I'm glad to have been able to get it, mostly just to break up the lull of buying.... I havent even had the money for ammo lately. Id like to get a 91/59 personally as its another hole in the collection. I honestly never thought id get a chance at another M38 at a decent price.... the last one I got cost me $280 compared to the $100 I got this one for.

As to JYDs comment: I know yall have more than guns on here but if i come here i couldnt resist the temptation to look.... then id want to buy.... and then I prolly would buy lol
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

" charm memory bracelet" Do these things help the memory? I am always forgetting shit, all the time, even when I write it on ......the little thingy's that stick to the.... :vconfused: what the hell were we talking about again ? :vconfused:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Remind me to dig something out and post pics of it here, something expensive :twisted:
Theodore Roosevelt
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

a $100 M38..Wow
Very Nice,Great Find.
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
King Johhny

Post by King Johhny »

Nice Rifle! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
M91/30 1940 Izhevsk
Oct 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Czech post war K98k
Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99
SMLE No.1 Mk.III 1918 "peddled scheme"
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

kamakazi339 wrote:Hey guys and gals. Its certainly been a while since Ive been around here. Mostly self imposed due to the fact I havent had any money recently due to other obligations (Fiance's ring and paying off my winter vehicle).

Ahhhhh the joys of being young and in Love... :roll:

( also known as broke and indebted) :lol:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Great snag Kam. :Drool1: :thumbsup:
I think it was just last week you said you had $150 burning a hole in your pocket. Arn't ya glad you didn't buy that ammo? :chuckles:

I've been in a slump too. Haven't seen a Mosin worth buying before I get past the first sentence or pic locally. I did see a $350 refurb. :big shock:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:" charm memory bracelet" Do these things help the memory? I am always forgetting shit, all the time, even when I write it on ......the little thingy's that stick to the.... :vconfused: what the hell were we talking about again ? :vconfused:

We should all chip in and buy the old forgetful JYD a charm. Do they make a junk charm? :biggrin: :chuckles:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

M-38... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Welcome back to the insanity :bonk:
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:" charm memory bracelet" Do these things help the memory? I am always forgetting shit, all the time, even when I write it on ......the little thingy's that stick to the.... :vconfused: what the hell were we talking about again ? :vconfused:
JYD You have a derailed train of thought and CRS Can't Remember SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET :chuckles:

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:

We should all chip in and buy the old forgetful JYD a charm. Do they make a junk charm? :biggrin: :chuckles:
Hell why don't we buy him a "Pandora" Bracelet at the jewelry store

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Why not just hire me a kid to follow me around and remind me when I forget something?

" That's a hundred you just left for a tip Sir, not a ten"
" Remember to lock the shop Sir"
" Feed the cat Sir"
" Remember to put oil in the engine after changing it Sir"
" You bought that milk a month ago Sir, don't drink it"
" It's been an hour Sir, shouldn't you flip the burgers now? "
" You left the car keys on the floor under the table Sir"
" that's his left hand Sir, you promised him you would only break the right one"
" the bullets come out the other end Sir"
" you have to stop for the red light Sir, not speed up"
" it's 2.5 grains of powder Sir, not 25 "
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Awesome! A 100.00 m38? What scratch? I don't see a scratch. I see a smoking deal. I am glad you came to your senses and didn't wait for pictures, because you might have saved me 100 bucks by not beating toy to it. [emoji14]
entropy

Post by entropy »

Miller Tyme wrote:
kamakazi339 wrote:Hey guys and gals. Its certainly been a while since Ive been around here. Mostly self imposed due to the fact I havent had any money recently due to other obligations (Fiance's ring and paying off my winter vehicle).

Ahhhhh the joys of being young and in Love... :roll:

( also known as broke and indebted) :lol:
Whaddya mean? I'm broke and indebted, and surely not young. The in love thing, Meh. As John Ciardi said, " Love is the sexual excitment of the young, the habituation of the middle-aged, and the mutual dependence of the aged". We're somewhere in between middle-aged and aged. I'm closer to aged. :shock:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

What would John Ciardi say if he knew how much we love our milsurps? :P