What's the dumbest thing you've ever done with a Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Gsragtop

Re: What's the dumbest thing you've ever done with a Mosin

Post by Gsragtop »

notexaclu the dumbest but the most costly, buying the first one. Wow has that one move cost me a ton of coin. Lol
gurn

Post by gurn »

Sanded, stained and Tung oiled a stock on one of my first ones. :big shock: Yeah, just one. Then I learned. At least it wasn't any thing special. Few years later found a replacement stock.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

A guy at a gunshow invited me out to look at some rifles in the back of his car. I picked up the first one and looked it over. After a short inspection I opened the bolt, and out flung a loaded cartridge. Treat every weapon as if its loaded. Cant be too strict on that rule. I felt stupid for not checking it first thing, but not as stupid as the owner.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Dumbest Mosin thing I've done? Sell.
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

I've used the hated red grease on mine before, my oiler came full of the arsenal grease. Looked like Red n Tacky #2 grease.

It worked fine though.
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
joelvca

Post by joelvca »

racerguy00 wrote:.308 shouldn't even be able to fire in a mosin, and if it somehow did the escaping gas around the case into the action should be significant I'd think.
Actually, the cases are surprisingly close in length and diameter at the outside of the shoulder, and 7.62x51 & .308 will often (usually?) headspace adequately on the rear of the shoulder in a 54R chamber. With the difference in shoulder angles, the front of the .308 shoulder has ~0.8mm of clearance and the neck is ~1.7mm shorter (I'm looking at metric dimensions in Wikipedia right now). The most significant difference is in case head/base diameter, and you can see that in the expansion shown in the photo of the fired case in this instance (54R is 0.4mm fatter). In 'Nam, we would sometimes test fire Mosins with 7.62 Nato if there wasn't any 54R ammo handy. I was a small arms repairman and was asked to do this a few times, but I didn't have the cartridge specifications available, so I went cautious and pulled the bullets to fire the cartridges as blanks - they always went off and the necks consistently sealed adequately. I never heard of any problems with this practice other than extraction, but NATO brass is thicker and tougher than some types of commercial .308, so I can't say whether or not there could be head splits with .308.

Regards,
Joel
p.s. GAD, do I now wish I had gotten one of those (Hungarian?) PUs to bring back!!!!!!!!!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

My Hungarian PU was captured in what I was given the extremely strong impression was a Very Bad Place over there. Probably better to have come home alive with no PU and just spend a few grand to buy one 45 years later.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

Well ive done it a few times... but firing some of my new purchases as soon as i got them without checking a small think like head space etc.

But the worst this is I joined this forum and met BuckeyeSgt. That man has cost me so much money........ worth it tho... made a really good friend in him and yall.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Dumbest things ever.....sold one.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933