"Actual Shipping Cost"

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
SA1911a1

"Actual Shipping Cost"

Post by SA1911a1 »

I bid an auction that was 60 rounds of ammo. I usually won't bid without a fixed shipping price, but with "actual shipping cost" I expect that to be the cost paid to UPS or Fed-ex or whoever ships the item. The weight on 60 rounds of 8mm would come in at about 4.5 lbs. and ship in a very small box, without expensive packing.

Where I am going with this is the seller charged me $25.00 to ship the stuff. Do I call him out on it, or let is slide?

What does "actual shipping cost mean to you?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
etprescottazusa91

Re: "Actual Shipping Cost"

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

I would interpret that statement to be the actual amount is to ship the item, perhaps the seller is including packaging, materials and time also. My opinion, if a private seller and the deal is completed, not worth a call out, if this a business, on second thought, I might make a call. :2cents:
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Sun May 03, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

This sets the buyer up for a gouge. What is usually meant by it is, "Whatever we can get away with." If you think you've been gouged, call, because you probably have been.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

"Actual Shipping" is , at least to me, whatever UPS or Fed-Ex, charges. I would not bitch too much if he threw in the cost of a sturdy box, but $25.00 is outrageous
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I recently had 900 rounds of 5.56 on strippers in a .50cal ammo can shipped for $18.

He is gouging and he knows it.
Kollaa kestää
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

He is maybe 10 bucks too high? Shipping UPS ORM-D is not cheap for a small box, but isn't that much. Ask to see or email the shipping receipt or see what you could ship the same package to him for. Residential delivery is a tad higher than to a business
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I got 100 rounds of .300 black out delivered the other day. $12
I'd call $25 :bs.gif:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It means the seller is complying with the law and not using USPS to ship the ammo cheap. Only Fed-Ex or UPS ground will ship ammo and it must be declared and marked , they are not cheap, and his distance from you will determine the cost.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It cost me nearly 30 bucks to ship about 225 rounds of X54 ammo to Nebraska. These places that ship a lot of ammo get lower rates than you and I can get.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:It means the seller is complying with the law and not using USPS to ship the ammo cheap. Only Fed-Ex or UPS ground will ship ammo and it must be declared and marked , they are not cheap, and his distance from you will determine the cost.
This. I shipped some non hazmat reloading stuff in a small box weight probably equal to that much 8mm and it cost me $22 to ship. Not worth a call out imo.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yeah, they is probably right unless he will show you the receipt or he justifies the expense by really good packaging. Good rule of thumb on shipping is USPS on small items or anything that can fit in a flat rate box of several different choices. Larger items UPS, but ammo is UPS and expensive. At least it isn't like powder and primers that require a additional Hazmat fee. That is why I don't order small quantities of ammo usually because you might as well at least get a spam can to justify shipping.
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Wouldn't surprise me if that isn't the actual shipping charge with it being ammo and like Jim said the distance makes a big difference too. If I really wanted to check into it for peace of mind I'd drop by a local shipping place ( whoever delivers it ) and see what it would cost to ship it back to the same address....
I just got a 9 lb box of ammo from AIM and the shipping was $15 for about 100 miles.
What pisses me off the most is it comes in the same damn truck that hauls everything else... :twisted:
akuser47

Post by akuser47 »

Has mat fees are 25 so it's normal how do you not know this
Just buying primers it costs this or powders
ImageLive free, or die fighting, for the right, to do so!
Varangian

Post by Varangian »

akuser47 wrote:Has mat fees are 25 so it's normal how do you not know this
Just buying primers it costs this or powders
Live ammo is classified differently from powder & primers, its ORM-D Cartridges, Small Arms. Both UPS & FedEx do not charge a hazmat fee under this classification.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I sold 100 rounds of 7.62X25 to a fellow member a couple years ago for $15.00 plus shipping. I took it to the local UPS store and when they added up all the charges and fees it was $55.00. Lesson learned, the stores are franchises and not only can they charge what they want but they have different rules set by the franchises owners. I didn't uses the store, I took it to the main UPS hub and sent it for around $10.00. Sending ammo by UPS or FedEx requires no special packing or one day shipping or any other crap. They give you an ORM-D red sticker to put on it and that is it.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

The seller leaves me a "B" feedback for complaining about the "actual shipping charges." I fulfilled my part of the transaction 100% when I paid the bill.

His reason for padding the Fed-Ex "actual shipping charges" by $10.00 was the box, which was recycled, the packing material, which was recycled and dirty, and a trip to Fed-Ex. Thank God he did not stop on the way to Fed-Ex for breakfast or I may have been out another $10.00. "Actual shipping" charge does not mean, I sold it too cheap, so I can make it up here.......

Beware of Heavy Metal Firearms, determine shipping cost before hitting the bid button.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

At the shop I work at we get commercial rates, but when shipping to residential address instead of a commercial address our dead cost goes up at least $6.00. For example, if I ship a 4 pound 9x7x7 box residential it is $15.00, if it's a commercial address it's right around $9.00. In my opinion for ammo $25.00 is normal, especially if it's shipped to a residential address. Volume will get higher discounts, but ammo's one of those things that's friggin' heavy, which really adds up to the shipping cost.

I've started using USPS flat rate for a lot of my personal shipping needs, as I made a personal account, and can make the label from home. It's saved me and therefore my buyers a bit in shipping costs. It sucks because you can't use USPS to ship ammo.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

If they left you a B for feedback, did you leave them feedback?
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Sirex wrote:If they left you a B for feedback, did you leave them feedback?
This certainly sound like an opportunity to leave some legitimate feedback on your part regarding the seller, I was wondering if they were including time, fuel, coffee stop and everything else involved in their day in the cost of your shipment, SA you confirmed as much. :2cents:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:
Sirex wrote:If they left you a B for feedback, did you leave them feedback?
This certainly sound like an opportunity to leave some legitimate feedback on your part regarding the seller, I was wondering if they were including time, fuel, coffee stop and everything else involved in their day in the cost of your shipment, SA you confirmed as much. :2cents:
I did leave truthful feedback and he left a snarky reply. It is fine, his $10.00 loses a customer for life (I had bought rifles from him) and I will never miss a chance to bad-mouth his business. I hope it is worth it.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum