First finn rifle 28/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tacocat

First finn rifle 28/30

Post by tacocat »

Hey guys first post and also first finn rifle. This is the most beautiful mosin I have yet. It looks all original, what do you guys think?
20150403_172536.jpg
20150403_172502.jpg
20150403_172324.jpg
20150403_172351.jpg
20150403_172202.jpg
20150403_172213.jpg
20150403_172141.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davesstuff1

Re: First finn rifle 28/30

Post by davesstuff1 »

:big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :pointup:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Looks very nice! Aluminum bushing on the barrel? Looks slightly like someone may have smoothed the original shiny pomo-lacquer to more their taste. That may be way off base with dealing with online pictures one can never be really sure to my way of thinking. Patching on heal of butt stock looks modern too. Bore and all? You will likely be very happy with the accuracy of the rifle I am sure as they really shoot well for me. Most people will slug the bore to be sure of bullet size because they run tight versus the normal surplus bullet size of most surplus. Congrats a nice find these days! Bill
tacocat

Post by tacocat »

Thanks zeebill, it does have an aluminum bushing and built on tula 1896 receiver. As for as the finnish goes im not experienced enough on these rifes to tell if its been messed with. The barrel is in excellent shape, however I don't plan on shooting her for now.later I plan on getting an m39 for my shooter.
tacocat

Post by tacocat »

Thanks zeebill, it does have an aluminum bushing and built on tula 1896 receiver. As for as the finnish goes im not experienced enough on these rifes to tell if its been messed with. The barrel is in excellent shape, however I don't plan on shooting her for now.later I plan on getting an m39 for my shooter.
husker51

Post by husker51 »

Congratulations! Nice one to find. I haven't had the opportunity yet. I like it! :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

Very nice rifle!

tacocat wrote:
20150403_172324.jpg
Judging from this photo the finish is original Pomo-lacquer finish.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Bugelson I agree with you on the finish just one of those long shots of the total rifle shows a couple of non--shiny spots where it looks to have been maybe cut with wet dry paper to smooth it for a more comfortable feel when shooting it. Then the fiber glass? patch on the butt stock had me wondering that all.
Tacocat I have had a couple of these that show little bare or non-shiny spots like yours and the only thing I could figure was what I stated above. It is nice to have the aluminum bushing but you know what the best shooter of all these I own looks to have never had one? It is a well worn rifle too! Not half as nice looking as yours either. I guess you just never know huh? Congrats again! Bill
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Taco, she is a real beauty. But, not gonna shoot it? You have some real will power. I done think I could resist. If it turns out to like. 308" bullets then the opportunities are just so good to find great bullets for it too.
King Johhny

Post by King Johhny »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup:
M91/30 1940 Izhevsk
Oct 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Czech post war K98k
Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99
SMLE No.1 Mk.III 1918 "peddled scheme"
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

bunkysdad wrote:Taco, she is a real beauty. But, not gonna shoot it? You have some real will power. I done think I could resist. If it turns out to like. 308" bullets then the opportunities are just so good to find great bullets for it too.

I have shot most of mine with normal surplus but because of that possible 308 bore causing a problem I avoid shooting mine as I don't reload and don't want to get into that stuff at almost 71 years old. My old brain is very close to being too full and heaven knows what would happen if I overloaded it? :big shock: Overload? Bill
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

tacocat,
Did you happen to "wipe" that stock down with anything before taking the photos?

I've seen this happen when they are wiped down with lemon oil or even gun oil.

If someone did that repair on the butt after, I'd figure they would have done a better job then that. It looks like that Finn greyish green putty that they used all the time. I have some Finns with that filler on it. Although, it looks like it hasn't been used since it was done much.........D
tacocat

Post by tacocat »

Dolk,
I did wipe the rifle down with an old balistol soaked rag that i wipe all my guns with.

On the stock repair i just figured someone in the states just put some wood filler on the stock but you think maybe finns?
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

tacocat wrote:Dolk,
I did wipe the rifle down with an old balistol soaked rag that i wipe all my guns with.

On the stock repair i just figured someone in the states just put some wood filler on the stock but you think maybe finns?
Was the stock "shinny" before you wiped it with balistol and took the photos? Balistol could do it. Try wiping the stocks with a clean soft towel and see if the shinny comes off.

The Finns used a filler that was a greyish color with a tint of greenish in it. They did pretty poor jobs with it also. As zeebill, he has a few Finns that have it also.

I have a few more at home (when I get home) that show the filler, but these came off the web (not really good representations...but...)
finnputty-01.JPG
finnputty-02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

This M27 stock has not been touched...

Placing any kind of oil on a stock before taking photos can cause it to do some strange things that we as Internet observers can only "guess at".

Here is a Finn M39 with no oil on the stock. It has been refurbished by the Finns before release.

A M39 SKY (nothing on it)

Here is my M39 Sako with lemon oil on it (which I don't do anymore)

Here is the same rifle without the lemon oil (inside shot)

All of these are Finn rifles, some were refurbished (at some point by the Finns), but most are not. You can see how hard it is to really tell from a photo what is going on. The Finns did everything you can think to these rifles. There are some things that stick out about Finn practices, but if you think you have seen it all, you're kidding yourself. They are nothing like a Russian Refurbished rifle .......D

tacocat

Post by tacocat »

Wow those are some beautiful finns! I see your point, from now on when i post i will keep them dry. I do have a problem with probably cleaning my rifles too much. I just want them to stay in as good shape as possible.
tacocat

Post by tacocat »

Here is a better pic of the damaged area with the stock not wiped down.
20150409_170248.jpg
20150409_170308.jpg
20150409_170258.jpg