Does this rifle looked refinished?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
AJ333

Does this rifle looked refinished?

Post by AJ333 »

Hey all, I was lookin into buying this mosin over distance and then I got these pics. Kinda looks like a sanding and refinish to me. What do you think?

House Beagle

Re: Does this rifle looked refinished?

Post by House Beagle »

I'm thinking yes but let's wait until the experts chime in
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

Sorry to say, but it looks like it has been bubbad.

But we need better pictures to be absolutely sure.

Original finish on m/27s was copal lacquer. Those are rare finds.

As the rifle looks like it has been reblued and refurbished by the Finnish Army after the war, then oil and varnish is the correct finish. And it does not look correct. Now it looks like poly or something...shame. But like said, we need better pictures to be 110% sure.
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Edit: Never mind, I was bringing up the original lacquer finish; but it was already pointed out.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... Mossy33oak
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

Absoluty. The finish on a Finn is boiled beeswax/linseed oil. It's a dull finish. It looks like its been polyfied over that. SBP 62MN's........ If Sarah Palin can invent words so can I.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Some f***in moron who can't leave well enough alone. They think they can "improve" it and meanwhile destroy the history for the real collector who ends up with it after they get done doing their Bubba shit to it. No understanding or appreciation of the history , no appreciation for historical artifacts found in their original aged condition. Idiots like this should buy commercial new firearms, and leave the relics alone. I get this crap presented to me all the time, and then happily offer them half, or a quarter market value and explain how much I would have offered had they not altered it. Fuck them if they don't like the offer, I pay real money only for the real deal.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

steelbuttplate wrote:Absoluty. The finish on a Finn is boiled beeswax/linseed oil. It's a dull finish.
Waxes were never used by the Finns. Earlier rifles had lacquer finish and with m/39s and onwards the finish that was used was rifle stock oil and BLO varnish on top of the oil.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Bugelson wrote:
steelbuttplate wrote:Absoluty. The finish on a Finn is boiled beeswax/linseed oil. It's a dull finish.
Waxes were never used by the Finns. Earlier rifles had lacquer finish and with m/39s and onwards the finish that was used was rifle stock oil and BLO varnish on top of the oil.

+! absolutely right. That poor rifle looks polyed and sanded all to crap I am afraid. I do have one very similar but I paid accordingly for it as anyone who saw it would know instantly, like that one what had been done. I got it with a bayonet and sling for $175 out the door. Now if you can get that for that price or less I would buy it for a starter piece or a parts donor for a save which was original but needed things to be complete. My own private thought is at least one of the two is complete and while not original can be portrayed as such and is representative. Things we find often make us sick and sorry but maybe we can get something out of those experiences in a positive nature. Bill
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Bugelson wrote:
That's correct. Burgelson has it right ....except, they did use (on very rare occasion) some other methods. There is a finish they used that no one has put a "finger on" yet. But it is not found on very many stocks. I have a M24 with it on. That M24 was in Vic's hands (collection) at one point and came from the arsenals that way. It's a little strange, more like BLO than anything else. So there are some exceptions. You can't expect anything else from the Finns, they have no "set in stone" rules. :wink:

But Burgelson has it right here......D
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

:big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
AJ333

Post by AJ333 »

Well, I cut him loose today. I made sure he understood - that rifle has been sanded and finished, therefore I could only offer you a pittance for it. Maybe he will think twice next time before he refinishes or buys one refinished or whatever it is. Maybe every time a sale dies that death, we spread the word and the cause. At least, that's what I'd like to think. Likely, however, some sucker... I mean new collector...will blow his cash on something like that.

Thanks for your input, everybody.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

AJ333 wrote:Well, I cut him loose today. I made sure he understood - that rifle has been sanded and finished, therefore I could only offer you a pittance for it. Maybe he will think twice next time before he refinishes or buys one refinished or whatever it is. Maybe every time a sale dies that death, we spread the word and the cause. At least, that's what I'd like to think. Likely, however, some sucker... I mean new collector...will blow his cash on something like that.

Thanks for your input, everybody.

I have your thoughts every time I do that too! We can only exercise caution in what we buy and hope our message has a positive effect eventually some where down the line! Think that was a good move on your part and realize that you sare probably feeling sorrow at not getting the rifle but it was the best move on your part and done with class I believe. Good Luck down the road on the next one! Bill