.22 Ammo

Rim Fire Firearms
mahduk45044

.22 Ammo

Post by mahduk45044 »

Just curious if anyone is seeing any relief on .22 ammo these days. Back in November we celebrated my 50th birthday and one of my gifts happened to be a 1000 round box of .22 ammo. Needless to say I was floored when I saw a bulk box. Turns out my daughter found it when she and my wife were out grocery shopping. And they found it at Wally World of all places.

But otherwise the only place I've seen it is at the gun range and you can only buy it if you shoot it there.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...
tjtM38

Re: .22 Ammo

Post by tjtM38 »

Not sure where you are, but .22lr is once again plentiful here in NE Mississippi. I can get good quantities of CCI, Winchester, Federal, Aguila, and Remington at any one of several gun shops. .22 WMR is still a bit sparse and pricey. Amazingly, the local Walmart is always sold out of all .22. Prices are now back to reasonable unlike the last couple of years.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

It's still a $&@! Storm here. But plenty online in ads for stupid prices.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

my LGS here in CALIFORNIA has lots of .22 ammo. A nephew of mine said to buy up what they have though so he is still having issues.
Bufford

Post by Bufford »

Went to local Wally world, no .22 to be found, plenty of other stuff and 3 box limit only applies to .22 if in stock.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I bought a bag full of "stuff" from a customer last week, among the contents was a full brick of .22lr. There was a nice vintage pellet pistol in the bag that more than pays for all of it so the ammo is essentially free. Beyond that .22 remains in short supply on the shelves of nearby stores.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

No 22 here unless you get to Walmart within an hour of it being put on the shelves. The gun stores are twice the price. I think they are still buying it at Walmart.
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

.22 lr are getting more plentiful here. My local pawn shop has a good supply, however it's a little pricey. A couple weeks ago I was going through Walmart about mid morning and checked out the ammo. They still had Federal boxes of 333 rounds per box still on the shelf (from being put out the night before.., I picked up two even though I have over 6,000 rounds in my ammo cabinet.
FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

thanks, wolf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Only 6000 rounds? I did my stocking up before the crazy started, I always bought in lots of 5000-10,000 because I shot a lot of .22 and the more you bought the cheaper the price per round. I never thought for a minute at the time that I needed to stock up because there would be a shortage, it's .22, why would there be a shortage of .22. The luck was that I would shoot some of the pile then see another great deal and hop on that, shoot some of the pile see another great deal... That left me with a surplus good enough for my lifetime without having to buy more. I have .22 from the 1980's packed away in ammo box's, even the 70's , Accidental prepping I guess, I never thought I had to worry about cheap old .22. If I had been worried then I would have a pallet of it taking up room.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Only 6000 rounds? I did my stocking up before the crazy started, I always bought in lots of 5000-10,000 because I shot a lot of .22 and the more you bought the cheaper the price per round. I never thought for a minute at the time that I needed to stock up because there would be a shortage, it's .22, why would there be a shortage of .22. The luck was that I would shoot some of the pile then see another great deal and hop on that, shoot some of the pile see another great deal... That left me with a surplus good enough for my lifetime without having to buy more. I have .22 from the 1980's packed away in ammo box's, even the 70's , Accidental prepping I guess, I never thought I had to worry about cheap old .22. If I had been worried then I would have a pallet of it taking up room.

Everybodys a "lightweight" by your standards JYD. You'v got it all and I am envious. :mrgreen: My measly 6k rounds will last me a long time. Your place in New York really intrigues me. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

wolfstein wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Only 6000 rounds? I did my stocking up before the crazy started, I always bought in lots of 5000-10,000 because I shot a lot of .22 and the more you bought the cheaper the price per round. I never thought for a minute at the time that I needed to stock up because there would be a shortage, it's .22, why would there be a shortage of .22. The luck was that I would shoot some of the pile then see another great deal and hop on that, shoot some of the pile see another great deal... That left me with a surplus good enough for my lifetime without having to buy more. I have .22 from the 1980's packed away in ammo box's, even the 70's , Accidental prepping I guess, I never thought I had to worry about cheap old .22. If I had been worried then I would have a pallet of it taking up room.

Everybodys a "lightweight" by your standards JYD. You'v got it all and I am envious. :mrgreen: My measly 6k rounds will last me a long time. Your place in New York really intrigues me. :thumbsup:
If your from that hoarder TV show the answer is still no, it's just stuff I haven't gotten around to putting away yet, it's not a hoard. :shock:
Theodore Roosevelt
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

I see it on shelves here and there. I've been able to pick up 1,200 rounds since Christmas 300 at a time; due to store limits and such. Nothing in bulk unless you want to pay to much for it. Walmart had boxes of 525, but the limit is the same (3) so you can either find 50, 100, 333, or 525 and get 150, 300, 999, or 1575 at a time.

I can get as much as I want online if I want to pay $0.12/round to scalpers or get match grade stuff at 7.62x54r prices. But I don't. I wait for the $0.05 to $0.08 stuff to show up.

Maybe the new green tip 5.56 panic will push the scalpers that way and free up even more 22 at stores. More margin to be made with that panic.

I'll add that I never had a reason to get 22 before, but I recently picked up an old 22 so I look a little now. I won't stand out in the cold in line to buy it though.
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

There seems to be a shortage up here but our local hardware store had 11 bricks in stock so I took 6 of them.. :lol:

Just in case.. :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

tjtM38 wrote:Not sure where you are, but .22lr is once again plentiful here in NE Mississippi. I can get good quantities of CCI, Winchester, Federal, Aguila, and Remington at any one of several gun shops. .22 WMR is still a bit sparse and pricey. Amazingly, the local Walmart is always sold out of all .22. Prices are now back to reasonable unlike the last couple of years.
Where??? are you finding it,please tell me-- Cornith? Booneville? Iuka? I can't find any in Florence, Savannah or Lawrenceburg..
dmoore714

Post by dmoore714 »

I'm finding a lot of bulk standard velocity 22lr around. Not much in small boxes or high velocity. I have a Walther p22 that really only shoots well on CCI mini mags. Haven't shot it in over a year :(
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

There is 1 local gun shop here that almost always has 22lr. He charges a little more than the prices of yesterday, but he has to or guys would buy everything he has in stock. This way he atleast guarantees his customers can buy 22lr if they really want it. The local walmarts get 22lr every now and then, but its gone in a couple hours if not sooner.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Tennessee_Mosin wrote:
tjtM38 wrote:Not sure where you are, but .22lr is once again plentiful here in NE Mississippi. I can get good quantities of CCI, Winchester, Federal, Aguila, and Remington at any one of several gun shops. .22 WMR is still a bit sparse and pricey. Amazingly, the local Walmart is always sold out of all .22. Prices are now back to reasonable unlike the last couple of years.
Where??? are you finding it,please tell me-- Cornith? Booneville? Iuka? I can't find any in Florence, Savannah or Lawrenceburg..
I sent you a PM with some information. Two local gun shops have .22 here and there may be more at a couple of other places a bit closer to you.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I've managed to get back up to around 10k rounds on hand, but some of it's Remington Golden Bullets so I don't count those as I'm getting a high amount of duds out of it, which seems to be other people's results as well. I use the wikiarms walmart checker for my local stores, they quit putting it out on the shelves, you have to ask for it and finding someone who works in sporting goods is as difficult as finding the .22LR itself.... :very mad:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

The answer to why there is no .22 is evident from this thread. If people would quit buying everything they find, and leave some for the next guy who might actually need it, we wouldn't have ever gotten to the state we are in now.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis