IS YOUR MOSIN NAGANT BATTLE READY?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
steelbuttplate

IS YOUR MOSIN NAGANT BATTLE READY?

Post by steelbuttplate »

Whatcha got there? A wallhanger?, off to the range once a month? Using these beasts requires practice. Do you have an ammo pack or two on stripper's? Have you broken your strippers in? Virgin strippers sometimes need "sized" in the slot or they can hang. Do you practice getting yours loaded quick and correctly? Does your stripper "ping"? Mine does. By the way I threw all mine with Thumb gougers away...... OK you know how to shoot.
Wadda bout the cleaning? Within a few hrs corrosive fired rifles need at least Brushed with Hoppe's or Ammonia, then Oil patched to dry patch. Wipe off bolt face and mop chamber if your gonna put it up for a while........all this takes 10 minutes if the stuffs there when you get home.....practice........SBP 61 Mosins and lookin
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
BubbaDX

Re: IS YOUR MOSIN NAGANT BATTLE READY?

Post by BubbaDX »

My Mosin's have served their god and country. They traveled the continent, defending what they knew to be right. Some were captured and forced into service in foreign land, some were locked away for decades. They have witnessed acts so heinous they dare not speak of them but in their dreams. In their advanced years, they traveled to warmer climates and found a more climate controlled environment to live out the rest of their days. To go back to battle now would require the worst of bad times. No, my Mosins are not battle ready. Instead, they share the company of once enemies who are now their friends, like Mausers, Enfields and Ariskas all the while knowing they are closely guarded by Colt, Smith, Wesson, Ruger and Winchester.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Most of my Mosins are stored away, there is one old type 53 sitting in the corner, I have more ammo on and off the clip than I will ever shoot, some of it is close by the '53, it would take me 30 seconds to load it into the rifle and fire. Not that it matters because that would be 25 seconds longer than it would take for me to cut an intruder in half with my Winchester model 97 12 gauge, and 27 seconds longer than it would take for me to punch 3-6 beautiful .357 magnum lead pills through the problem.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

But will you shoot at the Helicopters and armored vehicles with the buckshot and the hollow points? SBP 61 Mosins an I luv the JY Dawg........
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

No wall hangars in my house; I shoot just about everything I own, including the muzzleloaders. As far as battle ready? 21st century combat with an 1891 design? Really? Combat at my age? If they come to my house with tanks, heavy weapons and wearing gas masks, I'll gladly trade what I have for my life.

As far as weapons cleaning? I am a fanatic. I keep all my firearms spotless and rust free. I shoot a lot of corrosive (7.62x54r, 303 British, 7.62x25 and 7.62x38r) and I never fail to clean the pieces either on the range or at home the same day. I always follow up at home with good rust preventive oil.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

" In order to establish a well regulated militia, to ensure the security of a Free State" I am a collector yes, I'm also a Free American and will remain one or die trying.... These rifles will shoot thru 1/2 steel plate and a little more...... I don't know what the cutoff age for combat, I'm 58, gotta go do my pushups now so I can shoot ..SBP.....61 Mosins and lookin
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

steelbuttplate wrote:" In order to establish a well regulated militia, to ensure the security of a Free State" I am a collector yes, I'm also a Free American and will remain one or die trying.... These rifles will shoot thru 1/2 steel plate and a little more...... I don't know what the cutoff age for combat, I'm 58, gotta go do my pushups now so I can shoot ..SBP.....61 Mosins and lookin
According to what I've seen on the internet so will 30-06 and 556. But I wouldn't own any such dangerous things myself.....
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
husker51

Post by husker51 »

My Mosin Nagant rifles and carbines are more battle ready than I. But I am still able to shoot with a good degree of accuracy. I have yet to stock up on surplus ammo though. :2cents:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

steelbuttplate wrote:But will you shoot at the Helicopters and armored vehicles with the buckshot and the hollow points? SBP 61 Mosins an I luv the JY Dawg........
Yes I will and the hell with them if they don't like it, when I say keep off my lawn I mean it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

steelbuttplate wrote:" In order to establish a well regulated militia, to ensure the security of a Free State" I am a collector yes, I'm also a Free American and will remain one or die trying.... These rifles will shoot thru 1/2 steel plate and a little more...... I don't know what the cutoff age for combat, I'm 58, gotta go do my pushups now so I can shoot ..SBP.....61 Mosins and lookin
61! You are gonna need more people to shoot, or maybe you have them already.. :beek:
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

BubbaDX wrote:My Mosin's have served their god and country. They traveled the continent, defending what they knew to be right. Some were captured and forced into service in foreign land, some were locked away for decades. They have witnessed acts so heinous they dare not speak of them but in their dreams. In their advanced years, they traveled to warmer climates and found a more climate controlled environment to live out the rest of their days. To go back to battle now would require the worst of bad times. No, my Mosins are not battle ready. Instead, they share the company of once enemies who are now their friends, like Mausers, Enfields and Ariskas all the while knowing they are closely guarded by Colt, Smith, Wesson, Ruger and Winchester.

This. I like to think of my collection of mil rifles as a indefinite retirement home. Sure they get shot, some quite often, but battle?? Nope they are done unless it really hits the fan. I have other weapons that would take a battle roll shall that be needed.
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Frankly I don't delude myself with thoughts of me and Mosins going into battle and find the thought almost comical. It kind of ranks in the class of cavemen fighting tactical nukes with a stone ax! I am a collector who shoots occasionally and enjoys just that and nothing more comes out of my imagination at 71. I have lived the young dumb and fighting portion of my life and find no joy in reliving it or even thinking much about it. If delusions of fighting off the unknown enemy with your Mosins float your boat have at it. I find much more fun and satisfaction in thinking about where the next treasure will come from and how much I will have to pay for it. :lol: Bill
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

+1 :pointup:

With the exception of a very few of these rifle in circulation now, they will all do the job they were originally intended to do. Does that mean they are battle ready in 2015? Me thinks not. There isn't much that the majority of us could own legally that would be. I would think that most of the "shooters" are not battle ready either :D
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Mine are all quite battle ready, less one wallhanger. My Remington has done its time and deserves its retirement. Although, I mostly see mine as last ditch effort weapons. In reality, it is moot. As I live in a heavy nuke zone, my chance of survival is nill. Unless I make it to my Aerostar, then it is on!!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The problem with helicopters is the infrared, night vision, heavy precision weapons, and you are suggesting what? Yeah my pop guns are ready for em! Ooh rah
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

steelbuttplate wrote:But will you shoot at the Helicopters and armored vehicles with the buckshot and the hollow points? SBP 61 Mosins an I luv the JY Dawg........
I think if "They" come after me like that, I will only need one bullet.......
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Yeah it's nice to think about fighting for what you believe in and I believe most here will. Battle ready is not something most any here would be ready for in today's theater. All you can do is the best you can. I personally won't go easy no matter what the foe but I can tell you this. Helicopters are the least of your worries. That is if you can even see them. These are your worst nightmare. Drones with hellfires. They come under cover of darkness with FLIR, but that's not really an issue because they fly so damn high you really don't even know they're there day or night.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

When it is time to go to war, the old folks stay at home. Mosins are graybeards who have done their duty, and like most of their owners, they are obsolete. :wink:
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

Ready to line the deck Rail with a dozen locked and loaded. When the autos run out of ammo
and im still kickin ill have 60 more shots
to go lol.
joe7170

Post by joe7170 »

SA1911a1 wrote:When it is time to go to war, the old folks stay at home. Mosins are graybeards who have done their duty, and like most of their owners, they are obsolete. :wink:

:chuckles: I'm sorry, but when I read that I think of zeebill, and that episode of the twlight zone when the librarian was declared obsolete! :chain:
RIP Kevin Carney. Your always in our hearts.