Beretta 92S from SOG

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Synack

Beretta 92S from SOG

Post by Synack »

Just got my birthday present... :)

Very happy with it so far, hopefully will be able to take it out to the range for the first time tomorrow. Considering I'm pretty much used to a mix Tokarevs and a Hungarian PA-63 the slide and controls on this thing feel amazing.

My main complaint with it would be this crazy patch of discoloration around the extractor. Almost looks like someone spilled blue and rust remover on it... Any suggestions on how to properly pretty that up a bit? I actually like the plumb look of the rest of the slide, would imagine a touch-up pen or swabbing bluing solution would end up making it darker than the rest...

Also curious about proof marks... I read BU stood for 2004, but that seems way to new for this model...

Jolly Green Chopper

Re: Beretta 92S from SOG

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

Nice Beretta 92S. I have not seen that specific type discoloration before and since I don't see any obvious rust pitting,I would guess you are correct about it being some type chemical damage to the finish.As to repairing to appearance A good gunsmith can give you more accurate advice with a close visual inspection. I have tried using a black felt tip pen on a similar spots on an old Rossi .38 revolver . Not a perfect match it but did improve the damage, which was caused by light rust remover gel. It lasted for awhile. By trying different types of ink felt pens I found some are better than others for matching color. None were permanent. Good Luck, JGC
dmoore714

Post by dmoore714 »

I was looking at one of these at Gander Mountain today. May need to pick one up. The odd mag release would take some getting used to. Otherwise I think I would really like one.
dmoore714

Post by dmoore714 »

I was looking at one of these at Gander Mountain today. May need to pick one up. The odd mag release on the italian police model would take some getting used to. Otherwise I think I would really like it.
Synack

Post by Synack »

Just got back from the range; It works great and seems really accurate! The euro mag release definitely threw my Glock buddy for a loop when he gave it a go. :lol:

Still debating on the bluing. I might take it to a gunsmith for a recommendation, as I really don't want to redo the entire slide.

Conversely, I don't want to be constantly reminded of somebody's screw-up a quarter of a century ago. :brolleyes:
FineRedMist

Post by FineRedMist »

So jealous, and my birthday isn't until October. [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Plastic Doc

Post by Plastic Doc »

Got one from Classic. Paid extra for the hand select. Almost new condition. Just ordered the second. A little heavy but quality is evident.
1937 Izhevzk 91/30
1942 Izhevsk 91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1944 Izhevsk 91/30 Sniper
1942 Izhevzk 91/30 Laminate Stock
1953/1954/1955 (296)/1955 (26)/1956/1960 Type 53s

What next?