N.E.W. M91, 1916 Meriden Stock Cartouche

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
clayshooter2

Re: N.E.W. M91, 1916 Meridan Stock Cartouche

Post by clayshooter2 »

Lee-online wrote:That's a beauty.

Why did the Meridan factory use a different cartouche?
Homer2 has done more research into the various subcontractors for NEW than anyone else I know on the forums. He would be the guy I would ask that question to.
Homer2

Re: N.E.W. M91, 1916 Meriden Stock Cartouche

Post by Homer2 »

I've been livin' the expat life for the last 18 months, but the data collection goes on. Most of my books and all of my collection is in storage.

I think Martin is on the right track with the reference to this being one of the trial run of rifles. It was likely rejected by inspectors, who were overly critical, and left over when the contract ended to be sold by Bannerman or whoever.

I'm still working on serial number blocks between the three plants, but without company records, it is hard to determine WHEN anything was made.