Got a Finn M91/30 Today & I SCREWED Up!! Lesson Learned

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Got a Finn M91/30 Today & I SCREWED Up!! Lesson Learned

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

Well I got my 2nd Finn today a late war 1942 Reviever and 1942 Tang 91/30 Finn produced,I got it from the same place I got my Tikka M91 on Dec 31.

I had looked at this 91/30 rifle when I got the M91 last week.Then I came home and researched this rifle.

1--The rifle has a super nice 2 piece potbelly stock.With the "Z" Cartouche in the stock

2--The stock is bedded

3--The reciever is a 1942 Stamped and the tang is 1942 stamp.

4--The rifle has Reused Soviet Round High Wall Receiver (uncommon)

5--The rifle has the less common globe sight.

6--The reciever has serial #'s stamped on the top side where you can see and the SA mark and a complete set of serial #'s stamped on the barrel where it rests on the wood on the underside.

7--I thought I noticed all of the flaws on the rifle --it was missing hangers and missing cleaning rod,but I thought I could just get them from Liberty tree and everything would be good...

:angry4: :furious: :angry4: :furious: :angry4: :furious: :angry4: :furious: :angry4: :furious: :angry4: :furious: :angry4: :furious: :angry4: :furious:

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

:cry1: :cry1: :cry1: :cry1: :cry1: :cry1:

:pointdown: :pointdown: :pointdown: :pointdown: :pointdown:

Well look at the 1st and 3rd pictures!! I seen it as soon as I pulled it out of the guncase when I got home.I looked at everything except the crown !! I did not pay attention to the globe being so close to the end of the barrel.It has been cut off straight!! I had no intentions of buying this as a shooter.The total length of the rifle is 47 3/4" someone cut off 3/4 inch.I have no idea when this was done.You can tell this rifle has never been shot since it was imported.

I paid $175.00 out the door so it was not like making a big mistake on high $$$$ guns.Moral of this story is as I have read many many times by JYD--Longcolt and Zeebill check everything close and be informed before you buy..

I learned my 1st hard lesson today on buying milsurps---pay more attention and don't get excited!! :facepalm2: :facepalm2:

Better pictures when I can get outside!!

Last edited by Tennessee_Mosin on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gurn

Re: Got a Finn M91/30 Today & I SCREWED Up!! Lesson Learned

Post by gurn »

oops! :beek:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

We all get singed at one time or another. I can't tell from the pictures, is it counterbored? Is the receiver dated? It looks to be from the 1942, 43 era by the looks of the rough exterior. Is there an importer stamp on it somewhere? The rod and hangers are available on a well known auction site. Don't beat yourself up.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Tennessee_Mosin

Longcolt44 wrote:We all get singed at one time or another. I can't tell from the pictures, is it counterbored? Is the receiver dated? It looks to be from the 1942, 43 era by the looks of the rough exterior. Is there an importer stamp on it somewhere? The rod and hangers are available on a well known auction site. Don't beat yourself up.
1942 receiver and 1942 tang

Importer on the end of the barrel stamped--------RUSSIA 7.62x54R then ST ALB VT
Genetically Swiss

Post by Genetically Swiss »

Maybe they cut off the counterbore.

GS
"He who shoots first laughs last."

-Lebed-
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

It doesnt matter how long you are at this game, you will miss something, somewhere along the way. I just bought a Finn captured 91/30 last weekend, and never looked down the bore 'til I got it home. :oops: It is VERY wore. As with most things....don't sweat it. 175 bucks is not the end of the world. You have a pretty nice looking Finn no matter how you slice it. (NO PUN INTENDED...well maybe). That stock is super nice and worth a bunch all by itself. Take it to the range and show it off.

It wont be too long and it will take $175 to buy a loaf of bread.....
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

There was an idiotic gunsmith local to me actually advertising counterbore removal to increase accuracy. A lot of refurbs owned by clueless owners came out of there looking just like your rifle but recrowned with a target crown. Thats the first thing that came to mind when I saw yours.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

Op, that was a very nice rifle! Shame...

Genetically Swiss wrote:Maybe they cut off the counterbore.

GS
Yep. "They" being an American bubba.
racerguy00 wrote:There was an idiotic gunsmith local to me actually advertising counterbore removal to increase accuracy. A lot of refurbs owned by clueless owners came out of there looking just like your rifle but recrowned with a target crown. Thats the first thing that came to mind when I saw yours.
Case closed. Some moron obviously fell for that idiotism or performed the surgical operation by himself.....

Where on Earth those iditiots come into being?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, someone was trying to "correct" a problem without understanding what it is that they were doing. Question is you being familiar with the 91/30 how did you miss that odd looking front sight position? Next trip better be to the optometrist, it's time for new glasses.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

Dang it... but u have an awesome stock. Thays worth the
some bucks for sure. I had a 91-30 finn with a 1.25" counter bore and it was accurate as heck. Someone didnt understand for sure. Understand hownyou can miss i get buck fever over SA rifles also I have learned to slow down no look more. Price was good have u shotnher yet?
Tennessee_Mosin

racerguy00 wrote:There was an idiotic gunsmith local to me actually advertising counterbore removal to increase accuracy. A lot of refurbs owned by clueless owners came out of there looking just like your rifle but recrowned with a target crown. Thats the first thing that came to mind when I saw yours.
Yep looks like that is what happened.
fintowin wrote:It doesnt matter how long you are at this game, you will miss something, somewhere along the way. I just bought a Finn captured 91/30 last weekend, and never looked down the bore 'til I got it home. :oops: It is VERY wore. As with most things....don't sweat it. 175 bucks is not the end of the world. You have a pretty nice looking Finn no matter how you slice it. (NO PUN INTENDED...well maybe). That stock is super nice and worth a bunch all by itself. Take it to the range and show it off.

It wont be too long and it will take $175 to buy a loaf of bread.....
Yep I might make it a parts rifle.
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Yea, someone was trying to "correct" a problem without understanding what it is that they were doing. Question is you being familiar with the 91/30 how did you miss that odd looking front sight position? Next trip better be to the optometrist, it's time for new glasses.
The STUPID thing about this whole screw up,is that right next to this rifle on the rack is a 1891 Argentine Mauser.The pawn shop owner asked me about it saying he just got it and does not know what the rifle is worth.I told him the stock was refinished,someone had sanded it and trueoiled it.I told the shop maybe $150-200 since it had lost most all collector value.THEN I TOLD HIM THE STORY ABOUT MY PERSONAL ARGENTINE MAUSER THAT I USED TO OWN,SOME IDIOT HAD CUT THE BARREL AND STOCK OFF AND MADE IT INTO A CARBINE..All while this 91/30 with the end cutoff had just been put into my gun case..Boy I am a DUMBASS!! :pointleft:

I know this guy (shop owner) he would take this rifle back on a trade and give me full price back for one of the other 3 Mosins on the rack.He has 2 very Nice Tikka Finn M-27's a 1931 and a 1933 both have been sanded and polycoated. :angry4: I mean the finish on the stocks is almost as nice and slick as a Browning A-5 shotgun!! I also told the owner that these 2 M27's was useless to a collector because of the wood.I can get either of them for $200 each but I will pass on them.Live and learn I guess.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

That's what they call a counter bore now???? Seems to me that if bubba did it the right way and crowned the barrel correctly there would be no harm, no foul :roll: We all don't see some things. Would be nice to have someone with you that knows the rifles but that's not the case most of the time. Live and learn... Might be a shooter though... :)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

At least they didn't cut it beyond the sight like so many have done to make a carbine out of it. It will be alright, even though you didn't intend it to be a shooter that is exactly what I would do. I can't see parting it out unless you have enough junk projects sitting around to need the sum of it's parts. And besides as far as price you bought it according, even though you didn't know it. I would watch how much educating you give that dealer, or when he does come up with one that is all correct he will want 500 bucks for it.
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

Shiney M27's thats sad.

Hard enuf to find let alone mess them
up. But for 2 hondos each id leave with
one..........
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

Tennessee_Mosin wrote:He has 2 very Nice Tikka Finn M-27's a 1931 and a 1933 both have been sanded and polycoated. :angry4: I mean the finish on the stocks is almost as nice and slick as a Browning A-5 shotgun!! I also told the owner that these 2 M27's was useless to a collector because of the wood.
Here it is hardly the case I am sure, but do remember that m/27s originally had quite shiny lacquer finish.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Worry about getting singed when you after 40 years don't recognize a Dragoon and are thinking it's an M91. We all get excited even after 40 years of this idiocy and if we didn't we wouldn't be doing this stuff! If nothing else you got what looks like a heck of a nice Finnish stock. I heard more idiocy repeated to me at the gun show today from a never ending pile of Bubba's of all races, creeds, and colors than I ever though possible! I mean Bubba must have been working overtime at procreating copies of himself or something. You know you made a mistake and you will work your way through it and profit by that. These people today have not got a clue!!! But one, God Love Him! Is bringing me a stock he took off when he bought his new Archangel rig! Bless his Soul I will get one before the saw does!

Just take it to the range and try it out and enjoy it like it is and remember the next time! Bill :wink:
Tennessee_Mosin

zeebill wrote:Worry about getting singed when you after 40 years don't recognize a Dragoon and are thinking it's an M91. We all get excited even after 40 years of this idiocy and if we didn't we wouldn't be doing this stuff! If nothing else you got what looks like a heck of a nice Finnish stock. I heard more idiocy repeated to me at the gun show today from a never ending pile of Bubba's of all races, creeds, and colors than I ever though possible! I mean Bubba must have been working overtime at procreating copies of himself or something. You know you made a mistake and you will work your way through it and profit by that. These people today have not got a clue!!! But one, God Love Him! Is bringing me a stock he took off when he bought his new Archangel rig! Bless his Soul I will get one before the saw does!

Just take it to the range and try it out and enjoy it like it is and remember the next time! Bill :wink:
I hear you Bill :) Their is a big military gun show in Huntsville,Alabama next weekend. I might take rifle and see what I can trade for.Or I could list it on gunbroker and write some of the bull$hit people put in the listings on gunbroker,like this is a super rare wartime Mosin that a Finnish soldier cut off the front of the barrel too better help his accuracy at 500 yards. :popgun:

I might need to stick to baseball cards instead of messing with these rifles? :P I can spot a Mickey Mantle at 100yards :D
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

It happens. The work looks recent on the cut barrel so we can rule out Ivan having a bad day; That was done Stateside & is obviously marked by some budding gunsmithing artist. :roll: Throw 7 curses in the air to that @$$hole bubba & carry on.

So how does it shoot? If it can hit a knats ass at 100 yards I would swap a cheap beat up stock & make it a truck gun. Mothball the Finn stock; That alone would bring a Benjamin & a few friends. It's a shame sure... But not the end of the world.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"