1917 enfield

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
jeremyb

1917 enfield

Post by jeremyb »

I was given a rifle from a friend. It had the stock all cut up for a hunting rifle. I'm slowly buying the parts to restore it. These markings were on the stock I found for it. Any idea what they mean or what country made the marks. My rifle has no import marks. So this stock isn't going to be the best replacement. Any thoughts

I'm not going to post a photo of the rest if the rifle until she is back in the correct parts.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 1917 enfield

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Remington stamped the eagle. the number could be British, we sent a lot of 1917's to England during the dark days of 1940-41. We sent them in large numbers to China also and many came back in the early 1990's. They went to various other allies around the world. No volley sight cutout on the forend?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

no valley sight. Someone just said the stock was from VFW post 711. I guess maybe the stock was from a drill rifle.. To me that's better than an imported stock.

thank you
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

see pm
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

I bought the stock from eBay. The rifle was given to me from a friend. The hunting stock that was on it will go into the trash.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

So your the one that bought that stock. :thumbsup: The m1917 didn't have the volley sights, just the p14s so it is a m17 stock. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

ya, sorry if you wanted it. I've been trying to get one for over a month now. Those stock go for stupid money. I'm happy to have it on my rifle now. I'm starting to buy the hand guards now.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

No you are good. I think you got it for a nice price too. That's the one on ebay right? I got my stock covered here next week and it is the correct p14 stock so it all worked out. Should have mine together as soon as the parts arrive. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

ya, it was on ebay. I called the guy. ( he put a phone number in the listing.) I offered what I thought was a fair price. So he made a buy now price and it was done.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

That explains why all the bids were cancelled then. Hope to see the finished rifle here soon :thumbsup: