Is 7.62x54r.net still active ?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
A J

Re: Is 7.62x54r.net still active ?

Post by A J »

tjtM38 wrote:I quit that forum before the purge, so I can officially say that I was not kicked out. Things were just a little too stiff over there for me, and I am more comfortable here as a casual collector. I still go there every once in a while and look. I appreciate their collecting and preservation efforts, and it is good to see some of our members over there.
I just checked and I'm still a member of that forum. I posted twice and my last one was almost 2 years ago. Apparently, I escaped the "purge!" :)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Chuckee Cheeses? Never at there, only heard about it from a mention in that Grumpier Old Men movie some years ago. I don't give a damn about the noise when I am eating, just so long as the food is good, and there is pleanty of it, and of course nobody makes a grab for my plate.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
A J

Post by A J »

You and me both! :) I don't have kids, so only have stories from other people to relate to. As for noise... my wife and I normally will go out to eat with another couple: the bass player in my band and his wife. They're great folks. The trouble is, when we get together, we end up being the LOUDEST people in the restaurant. Last Saturday morning we went out to a Golden Corral. My wife made a point to show the family next to us that their 3-year old boy was quieter, better behaved, and less messy than the 50-year old boy sitting next to her! :)
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

A J wrote:You and me both! :) I don't have kids, so only have stories from other people to relate to. As for noise... my wife and I normally will go out to eat with another couple: the bass player in my band and his wife. They're great folks. The trouble is, when we get together, we end up being the LOUDEST people in the restaurant. Last Saturday morning we went out to a Golden Corral. My wife made a point to show the family next to us that their 3-year old boy was quieter, better behaved, and less messy than the 50-year old boy sitting next to her! :)

:pointup: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: Spoken like a women! :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: Bill
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Here's my contribution to the updated rarity list. Any of Zeebill's rifles in photograph form. 10+ :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:

Sorry Bill. Had to.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

:pointup: :pointup: :chuckles: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :chuckles: :kilgo:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

racerguy00 wrote:Here's my contribution to the updated rarity list. Any of Zeebill's rifles in photograph form. 10+ :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:

Sorry Bill. Had to.
You're welcome to take a week off anytime and spend time with the camera out in the shop! I will feed you royally at Mickey Dee's! :lol: Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No kids either, I go out once a week with various friends to a local diner. Good food, twice we went to a new somewhat upscale restaurant that just opened near my friends place up north. Hell of a good steak, wrapped in bacon no less so it's pretty near perfect. Problem is one of us has an obsession with fresh brewed ice tea, for some reason this restaurant with it's $50 steaks had some kind of bottled ice tea. My friend asks for a cup of hot tea and two cups of ice, when it comes he quietly pours the hot tea over the first cup of ice then pour's half now cold tea into the second glass. Fresh brewed ice tea at the table. The three young lady's serving our table observed all this without comment, he had then going back and forth for more tea making supply's all through the meal. I felt bad about that, and knowing what a cheap tipper our friend is I made sure to leave a little extra when we were done and had to be rolled out to the car ( the food was very good) What I missed was that he slipped one of the girls a fifty on the way out so that pretty much ensured we would be remembered. Two weeks later we return, we have what had to be the best table in the room, four servers this time ( one just for the desserts) and the owner of the joint makes a beeline for our table, greets me and Mike, shakes my hand, then turns to Scott and said " so your the guy who makes his own ice tea at the table! " I thought Scott was going to have a heart attack right there, face red, everyone in the room turning to look at him ( obviously the story had spread around among the regulars and staff) he coughed and stammers out a weak hello, then tried to shrink all 6'6 of himself down into the chair. I had to excuse myself to use the facilities, once there I laughed until I nearly passed out. We can't seem to convince him to go back there, he has every excuse in the book why he can't, I even offered to pick up the check, and that's no joke when the man can eat two main courses at one sitting.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I have only referenced that forum. Good information out there. I, also, have purchased many racks from Ted and find him to be a great and professional guy. I think he is up to his ears in work now and can't spend much time on the forum. He has a pretty large backlog of orders but he usually surprises me and gets them to me earlier than he projected. I really didn't even know it was a forum - just thought it was informational in nature.
gopedxr7

Post by gopedxr7 »

i doubt all that much new is going on with a riffle that stopped production decades ago. so things can be slow. that website got me to start to apreciate the mosin and really want one. i started out wanting to buy a mosin to modify it, swap the stock, trigger, etc. but after reading that site and this forum, i just cant touch it no more, i just want to preserve it.

every forum has their rules. i know here, this is not the place to ask how to modify a stock to fit a timmey trigger, and i would not dare to ask if i would dare to do it. i enjoy reading here how people find a mosin with unique markings, collecting them is more fun than modifying them i learned from here.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You wouldn't go in to the DMV and ask for a Pizza with extra cheese, and meatballs, or to your Doctors office to ask for an oil change on the car. Internet same way, you don't go to a preservation board to ask about non preservation things.
Theodore Roosevelt
A J

Post by A J »

My very first Mosin cost me about $90. I knew nothing about them and simply grabbed the one with the nicest looking stock: a beautiful light blonde. It turned out to be a great shooter. It's still my favorite stock. After taking it home and spending 3-4 hours making it beautiful, there's no way I'd want to do any sort of permanent modification. The rifle is fine just the way it is and should outlast me by many decades.

This forum and 7.62x54R taught me how to clean it up and how to appreciate it for what it is. My original plan was to pick up a modern centerfire rifle or two, but that never happened as I keep buying Mosins. I currently own five mosins and #6 is on the way. :) I own a few M1 Garands and an AK47 but the Mosins are the ones I really like.

Basically, the 7.62x54r forum is for really serious collectors. It's kind of ironic because a Mosin isn't really designed as a high-brow rifle with a country club following. Instead; it's a rifle for an illiterate peasant. Although, I'm the sort of guy who is insane about keeping my mosins clean, they're much more forgiving than I give them credit for.
gurn

Post by gurn »

And you don't tug on superman's cape

Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

In 1891 every army's grunts were peasant's, that's who ended up in the ranks here, there, everywhere. Todays soldier, at least in our army, is far better educated and more technologically sophisticated than his great grandpa was when he marched off to Cuba with Krag in hand . Mauser, Mosin, Enfield, Springfield, Arisaka, Carcano, Lebel, all in the hands of someone who was little more than a peasant in society's that were only beginning to expand past a primarily agricultural past.
Theodore Roosevelt
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

gopedxr7 wrote:i doubt all that much new is going on with a riffle that stopped production decades ago. so things can be slow. that website got me to start to apreciate the mosin and really want one. i started out wanting to buy a mosin to modify it, swap the stock, trigger, etc. but after reading that site and this forum, i just cant touch it no more, i just want to preserve it.

every forum has their rules. i know here, this is not the place to ask how to modify a stock to fit a timmey trigger, and i would not dare to ask if i would dare to do it. i enjoy reading here how people find a mosin with unique markings, collecting them is more fun than modifying them i learned from here.
I would have to disagree, new discoveries are made all of the time.. well, maybe not all of the time lol
Shoot like Voroshilov !
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:You wouldn't go in to the Doctors office to ask for an oil change.
I don't know JYD? If you ever saw my kid's pediatrician you might be damn temped to ask her for a lube job at least. The baby's doctor is smoking hot. ;mywink;
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

clayshooter2 wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:You wouldn't go in to the Doctors office to ask for an oil change.
I don't know JYD? If you ever saw my kid's pediatrician you might be damn temped to ask her for a lube job at least. The baby's doctor is smoking hot. ;mywink;
Now don't go faking a heart attack in the waiting room in hopes of mouth to mouth :chuckles:
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

FR0STY54R wrote:
gopedxr7 wrote:i doubt all that much new is going on with a riffle that stopped production decades ago. so things can be slow. that website got me to start to apreciate the mosin and really want one. i started out wanting to buy a mosin to modify it, swap the stock, trigger, etc. but after reading that site and this forum, i just cant touch it no more, i just want to preserve it.

I would have to disagree, new discoveries are made all of the time.. well, maybe not all of the time lol
True, with 98% or better of Mosin production history a vast empty wasteland of no available information there could be new tidbits cropping up for century's. Every other military rifle ever made has thick books on anything you want to know about the rifle. All of it based on Arsenal and government paperwork, all official, but not the Mosin. How many times has someone come here asking about some tiny marking and we have to tell them nobody knows. Just one of my books on the Enfield has something like 50 pages of markings, probably more than that, and covering the production of every country that produced the rifle.
Theodore Roosevelt
8X56R

Post by 8X56R »

7.62x54r.net.. A Great resource. I self ejected years ago. A Moderator (Not Ted) choose to belittle people for asking honest questions..