Boresnake for Mosin

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Mosin-Marauder

Boresnake for Mosin

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

Hello all,
I know the subject of cleaning Mosins has been beat to death and back to life, but I was wondering. Would just a routine cleaning like the following work after corrosive ammo?

First I would pour a pot of boiling water down the bore, then I would put Hoppe's 9 on the part of the Boresnake before the brush and oil on the tail end, then run it through once, then refreshing the solvent and oil and doing it another one or two times depending on how many rounds were fired. The Boresnake would, of course, be washed after each use.

You guys are experts on Mosins (wonder why? :D) so I really wanted to just confirm this, as I don't like having to keep using patches all the time. It would get a thorough cleaning every 200 rounds or so (patches and brushes). This is just more of a every time I fire corrosive. Sorry for posting about cleaning again (I know you guys don't like these kind of posts) so sorry. Thanks for any help you can provide.
redspoon

Re: Boresnake for Mosin

Post by redspoon »

I've never used a boresnake, but as long as you start with the boiling water what you're doing sounds just fine. :thumbsup:
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

Great. I'd like to keep it in as good of condition as I can.
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

I use the Otis cleaning kit. Very similar to the bore snake in that it is a pull through cord. I like the kit, it saves space and is handy in the field. I will say, and many others will agree, that a good brass or coated cleaning rod and a breech guide are much better and will do a better job. Plus, eventually the boresnake will wear out, and you'll have to keep buying more. Just keep an eye on the pull string, and get a new one when it starts looking worn out. Nothing worse than trying to get that out of your rifle if it breaks.
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

So the Otis Rifle Cleaning Kit is long enough for a 91/30? and it wont damage the crown? What all comes in the kit?
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I just bought a bore snake for mine. Your method sounds fine. A coat of oil will protect it after cleaning.
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

I just don't like using up all those patches. I'm going out today to buy a boresnake. If it doesn't work I can use it for my K-31. But I think it will work.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Mosin-Marauder wrote:So the Otis Rifle Cleaning Kit is long enough for a 91/30? and it wont damage the crown? What all comes in the kit?
The Tactical cleaning system met my requirements.

8, 30, and 38" pull cords.

6 different caliber bore brushes

3 different caliber patch attachments.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

I heard something about having you to use proprietary patches. Is that true? Or can you use different brand patches?
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

They like to sell their patches. I don't I use standard 2 1/2 inch patches. The thicker cotton patches work nicely. I've used the thin Hoppes patches and I need to double those in my rifles to get a good swipe on the barrel.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
entropy

Post by entropy »

I have a boresnake for my Mosins, and AK, but have never used it. I too, have an Otis kit, and use it often, usually at 4-H shoots, when some kids' .22 jams.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

I used the bores bake and it works great. A pot of water down the bore. Some Hoppe's #9 and Rem Oil on the snake and she was looking shiny. I recommend this very much.
gopedxr7

Post by gopedxr7 »

which bore snake did you all buy? i have one for a 30-06 that fits tight in my marlin, but loose in my mosin. not sure if its not the right one or if it is because the barrel is worn.
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

Mine didn't fit very tight unless the brush was in it. I got a .30 Cal one as well. I don't think it's supposed to fit super tight, mine is snug though.
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

I have never use boiling water and or mineral spirits on my mosins. All I use is hoppes, clp, and a mixture of bore snakes and hard rods with wire brushes. Never had an issue with them to this date
sonney

Post by sonney »

I just use hops 9 let it soak and then use a brush. After that I use hops 9 and patches when patches come out somewhat clean I put hops oil on a mop and send down the barrel. Both of my Mosins have shinny barrels and not signs of pitting or corrosion. Also use hops9 on the bolt section to clean it up and then come back with the oil. Tell me why the boiling water is so important.

Sonney
Mosin-Marauder

Post by Mosin-Marauder »

Well, you can use Hoppe's. It just takes longer and is less efficient. Your choice.
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

sonney wrote:I just use hops 9 let it soak and then use a brush. After that I use hops 9 and patches when patches come out somewhat clean I put hops oil on a mop and send down the barrel. Both of my Mosins have shinny barrels and not signs of pitting or corrosion. Also use hops9 on the bolt section to clean it up and then come back with the oil. Tell me why the boiling water is so important.

Sonney
Water is cheap and plentiful is all. It's a good start to a cleaning to get rid of the salts from shooting corrosive ammo, but most any cleaning solution will also work. I like to use hot water as I know it runs out the barrel taking all the salts with it. There's a also a small side benefit that using hot water opens up the pores in the metal so that my cleaning/lube agent (which is Ballistol) can do an even better job at protecting my rifles.
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Mosin-Marauder wrote:Well, you can use Hoppe's. It just takes longer and is less efficient. Your choice.
It is, but I just never trusted myself to be flushing water down the action of my guns. I know with BP it is a must, but with anything else I just scrub the living crap out of it with Hoppes.

Back to the OP. I swear by a bore snake for my shotguns. Heck, I don't even use patches these days on my shotgun barrels because of the bore snake, but on my Mosins it is not as effective. I do use it at the range still as a quick clean before I bring them home; but when I get home to really clean them, I don't use the bore snake.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Stop scrubbing it, Hoppes works best when left to sit in the bore for a few days to a week or more. Scrubbing with it gets you nowhere fast except to remove powder fouling. Hoppes eats copper, the longer it sits the more copper it eats, it will not harm the steel of your barrel. Water is only for the salts, it does nothing for normal fouling, especially metal fouling. You will never wear out a barrel from shooting it, only governments and sponsored competition shooters can afford enough ammo to shoot out a bolt action rifles bore, that or several generations worth of heavy use. Most bores are worn out from cleaning, repetitive contact with cleaning rods, brushes, and patches. Once the salt is out of the bore you can let the hopes sit in there and do it's work, come back every few days and run another dripping patch down the bore to keep it wet. A patch stuffed in both ends of the bore will help slow the evaporation.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt