So I Won Another Auction

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
BubbaDX

So I Won Another Auction

Post by BubbaDX »

At opening bid! This one is a little rough but its also a little special being a Finnish rifle with a nice 2 piece stock. This is my 2nd 1900 Izhevsk Finned M91 and I just could not let it go by without bidding. As you can see by the pictures in the auction, its been there and done that a few times. I think its also been rode hard and put away wet more than once. But I like it. So what do you think?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=429418576
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: So I Won Another Auction

Post by bunkysdad »

I was expecting a raggedy old beater so I was pleasantly surprised. This looks great bubba! Good price too. I just don't like 14 day auctions, they make me crazy.
professor9

Post by professor9 »

Hey in my inexperienced opinion I think you did well. At first thought the pitting on the barrel and rear sight area is considerable, but hey it's a 1900. For that price I think you got a deal, especially since everything is there!

Well done. Prof
1915 Westinghouse Finn, Fox Receiver, SA marked
1942 Sako M39
1953 Hungarian M44

Spirit with a vision is a dream, with a mission... RIP Neil Peart
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

The Finns-- who seem to have been the world experts at rehabilitating Mosins-- clearly pressed it into service, so what you see is all part of the history of this rifle. Another veteran finds a good home! :thumbsup:
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I am not sure what caused all the pitting, but it looks a lot better than I will at 114 years old. And the stock is in great shape. What I can't wait for is to pull the metal out of the wood and see just how bad the pitting is. If its not a shooter, then so be it. I have plenty more I can take to the range. I assume this one laid on the battle field for quite some time before it was picked up. Heck, maybe till the snow melted by the looks of it. :thumbsup:
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Warrior :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You are one lucky guy. You are very lucky I didn't see this first. You might have still won it but it wouldn't be at the price you got it for. :twisted: :twisted:
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

For the stock being in such good shape, I would thing the metal would be just as good. Strange.
:bravo: :bravo:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Very war worn and a nice looking rifle. I would say restocked by the Finn's at some time and returned to action maybe after laying on the battlefield for awhile? Hard to say? How is the bore? Finnish rifles present so many questions they are just fascinating at times. For the money you paid on todays market I would say you did quite well. Bill :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice steal :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

Nice deal,i had that one on my watch list. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

It might be a couple weeks before I get to hold it. I sent a personal check and told him to hold it until it clears, that I was in no hurry.

I have another one on my watch list that I am just itching to pull the trigger on. It would fill a big hole in my collection but apparenly my truck had other plans for the money. The battery died so now I get to spend my hard earned Mosin money on a new battery.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

BubbaDX wrote:It might be a couple weeks before I get to hold it. I sent a personal check and told him to hold it until it clears, that I was in no hurry.

I have another one on my watch list that I am just itching to pull the trigger on. It would fill a big hole in my collection but apparenly my truck had other plans for the money. The battery died so now I get to spend my hard earned Mosin money on a new battery.
I know which one you are talking about. Good luck. I'm pulling for you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Try your local scrap yard, maybe they can provide you with a used, but still good battery for much less than a new one would cost.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
gurn

Post by gurn »

I'm surprised it didn't go for more. Its complete and all the parts are worth much more than that. Watch it turn out to be a great shooter.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
no4shot

Post by no4shot »

Like many other here I have been watching the finn mosins for quiet sometime now on GB. They seem to be all over the place. finned 91/30s have been going anywhere from 175 to over 3 bills. I don't get it. I was watching that one too. You did have a good find there.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You don't get it? Let me explain it in simple terms. Everyone and their grandma from 2 major Mosin forums watch every single auction every single day and then talk it up bigtime on the forums to the point that there is hardly a chance of scoring anything "under the radar". But it does happen.
Typically however you are just gonna have to dog deeper. The interest in Mosins, especially Finns is just too high these days. And it is creating a new market price.
no4shot

Post by no4shot »

Thats what i dont get... if everyone is watching how does one slip through and sell for under 200? I mean thats the same as a basic russian refurb. I just won an auction on gb for a 1940 Izhevsk for 175. It has a two piece stock and finn front sight. Has the box sa and a 41 stamp. Yet a 39 pulled like 300 this past weekend.

Sent from my LG-LS860 using Tapatalk